Thread: Name your favorite OOP Motor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I miss AMW and Kosdon Snap wring loads.
agree. liked the "fast" loads that Frank made.

I still have a few I560 fast (Dr. K called them I800) and I500 slow (never certified) loads for the 29/470 casing. I'm saving them for something special. Maybe a 54-38-29 three-stager. :cool:

Yes, the D10 and D21 are both OOP and we’re replaced with the Qjet.

Dammit. I had finally found motors I liked for my '90s-vintage Astrocam 110.

Why do the coolest motors always go OOP?

if is a shame the D21 is out of production. The D21 and long burn Ellis are favorite and both are gone.

The 18mm casing mold for the D21 broke.

Gary Rosenfield offered to make a new 18mm case mold if I would put up the money for it...🤣

Estes 1/2A3-0T. Great for the Estes Midget, Beta mini-brute & Centuri FireFly!

Quest; 20mm D-10's.
*D5s

What were they hoping to accomplish with those? Nobody else was onboard with that size, and they didn’t have a product line to support it, as far as I can tell. There were D motors in both 18 and 24mm, what is there to gain by going in between with a non-standard size?

The Quest D5s were not only 20mm long but they had a non-standard length as well and while Quest didn't put out any kits for that motor they did sell parts such as motor tubes and a few different centering rings.
They sure burned for a long time and got very hot in the doing.

From what I learned these were actually motors from a Chinese model rocket company, where apparently 20mm is a standard that Quest brought to this country and got certified.

The Quest D5s were not only 20mm long but they had a non-standard length as well and while Quest didn't put out any kits for that motor they did sell parts such as motor tubes and a few different centering rings.

From what I learned these were actually motors from a Chinese model rocket company, where apparently 20mm is a standard that Quest brought to this country and got certified.

Interesting!

Even so, you’d think they would create a few kits for those or even just offer that mount as an option in existing ones. Create a little infrastructure, you know? It’s just silly to manufacture these on a trial basis.

No way to import?

Only asking because I want to try some of the motors from Southern Cross eventually.

I got out of rocketry about 12 years ago and only came back in 2019. By that time MMX was totally gone from the local scene. I guess it was a niche market withing the niche model rocket market.

My understanding is that importing motors requires a lot of paperwork and some degree of certification. Prolly not worth doing for MMX. No idea how you would import motors from Oz to the USA.

The Quest D5 motors (20mm x 96mm) were an 'in-production' motor made at the same Chinese facility as the Quest BP A-C motors.
When the D5-4 and -6 motors became available in 2010 I order 12 of each delay type.
I make it a point to fly one of these motors once a year at the major launch I attend (NARAM or NSL).
Currently I am using a Semroc clone kit of the Centuri Magnum Sprint model with a 6" x10' silver Mylar streamer as my D5 motor demonstrater model.

NSL 2021-0131 Magnum Sprint Liftoff!.jpgNSL 2021-0132 Magnum Sprint climbing.jpgNSL 2021-0135 Streamer Recovery.jpg

Now, the Quest D8 24mm x70mm would have been cool if it had become available. ;)

N52 Quest D8-3 Motors.jpg

That was the E27. Disposable version was the E25. I still have an E25 in my range box. Both great motors.
Uploaded a video of me burring the last E27 I had. Maybe this will encourage us to grab our pitch forks and torches and demand the resurrection of the E27! :D

Estes even had a 1/2A6-0. Now that was a fun motor. Staging right after the rocket left the rod.

One of those in the booster and an A8-5 in the sustainer sounds like a great way to fly a 2-stager at a smaller field.

I don’t suppose they ever made a longer delay variant for upper-stage use?

1/2A6's were available in 0,2 and 4 second delays. Only the 1/2A6-2 survives today.
http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/70est092.html
I absolutely love learning about these old motor types.

Where do you guys find all this data? Thrustcurve is great but it doesn’t go back even close to this far.

Also I love that there’s a “Don’t fly it!” warning on there. Obviously was published before rocket gliders became commonplace.8C270E80-9882-4CE3-B5D6-DFEFACFB1C9C.jpeg

Back