Thread for sewing harnesses

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would recommend buying a used industrial machine, they are so much nicer to use than a home grade machine.

Yes they are, they will even stitch right through your fingers if you arent paying enough attention (my father in law has a Singer industrial that uses needles like an 8d nail and just about any rope you could want as thread :) ).

Last edited:
This video may be helpful. I have used Kevlar and Nylon thread with an awl.

[video=youtube;UkLopNaQddI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkLopNaQddI[/video]

"As recent as the 50's" lol. I have watched this video before, but must've missed that. This video taught me how to use the awl.

Yep that is what I was looking at. How stiff is the 5/8" stuff? Compared to Madcow's 9/16"?

10000000000 times nicer. A little thicker, heavier, and not quite as supple, but infinitely more durable than the stuff you get from MadCow. Protect the vulnerable parts with Nomex sleeving or whatever you use and it's good to go. I get twice the life out of REI webbing than I do out of MadCow stuff.

"This" might help also, shows how to knot and hide loop cross.

One of those clamps would be nice! Sure would make things easier.

10000000000 times nicer. A little thicker, heavier, and not quite as supple, but infinitely more durable than the stuff you get from MadCow. Protect the vulnerable parts with Nomex sleeving or whatever you use and it's good to go. I get twice the life out of REI webbing than I do out of MadCow stuff.

Good to know, thanks. I think Chris has stuff like that, I'll look at it at next launch. I have used Nomex and heat shrink tubing, also Soller Composites has kevlar sleeves that works good too. A little PITA to sew, at least for me, but seems like it was heaper than buying nomex protectors or tubular Kevlar to slide over the nylon. I've used the StrapWorks 1/2", it is pretty good and as you say, not as subtle as Madcows. I only mentioned Madcow as a reference that I knew we would all know.

Back