Thread for chute protectors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
To those who make their own chute protectors:

What type of thread do you use? Why?

I use Tex 70 Kevlar. Don't think I need to, just do and it works fine for me.

+1 on the Thread Exchange. Great prices and product, excellent service.

I've used just about everything, but ebay nomex thread has worked the best with my machine. I tried Kevlar of several sizes, but it just didn't run through my machine well no matter how I adjusted things.

I've used three different commercial nomex chute protectors, and all have singed or otherwise started to shed the edge binding thread in short order. My ebay nomex and Kevlar has yet to have a problem with nearly twice as many flights/ejections on 'em.

YMMV.

I think the commercial chute protectors are made with nylon or nomex thread.

I use cotton or nylon, depending on what my wife has already threaded on a needle. I cut my protectors out using pinking shears, so I don't worry about the edges, just the ends of the hole the shock cord goes through (also cut with pinking shears).

Next question...what material are you using for your homemade protectors and source.

Nomex, and Ebay. Some sellers have light weight, open weave, so be careful what you buy.

Yeah, I have made some mistakes buying various Nomex fabrics before. I prefer a heavier weight plain weave muslin, 10oz/sq yd or so. Stay away from twills or satin weaves. If you get something lighter, make sure it is calendered (rip stop pattern). Also they sell tons of blends now. Don't get fooled into a lower price. You want something where the Nomex and/or Kevlar content is 90% minimum--higher the better.

Chuck just use nomex thread. Its just to make the protector look nice and cover up the frayed edge. We buy ours from lava & Sons in the Chicago area. Its best to call them.

Gary,

Thanks. I usually buy my protectors from you, but I want to try to make a few.

I use denim that I treated to be flame resistant. Hence the pinking shears and whatever thread. They last as well as nomex protectors, but are basically free. If i need to replace one after a single flight, its no big deal.

I typically use nylon or cotton thread. I also use ironing board fabric, doubled up and sewn together. I've never had the thread that sewed it together fail, the protectors typically outlast the rockets.

Edward

We just had a mom sew the edges of the chute protector for our upscale Dragonfly. She see nylon thread and I am thinking about covering the stitching that holds on the loop with ble tape for protection. If the hem stitching fails it won't affect much, so I was thinking we would leave it as is for now.

The protector is 39" by 39" and is made from low porosity (2.5 cfm) 6 oz Nomex fabric.

image.jpg

I use airbag material, it is coated so it s non porous and does not fray.
Downside is it is heavy and stiff.

M

I use airbag material, it is coated so it s non porous and does not fray.
Downside is it is heavy and stiff.

M

I've also used the airbag material. You're right, it's heavy and stiff and will eventually crack, but it's usually free so you can't beat the price.

BTW, I bought a big spool of aramid thread to sew with. Same thing as Kevlar, but usually cheaper since you're not paying for the trademarked name.

I buy old flight suits and nomex fabric at a surplus store but with my research I am beginning to think that standard duck or twill fabric would be a cheaper alternative.

Back