Thoughts on "The Orville"?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpoehlein

Reaction score
Watched the premier of "The Orville" last night and I wondered what others thought of it. The best categorization I have seen came from a friend of mine: it feels like Star Trek with a lot more male sex organ jokes (my substitution of an euphemism given TRF's language filter! ;) )

I skipped it because Seth McFarlane made it and I assumed it would be juvenile. Sounds like I made the right call.

Have it set to record tomorrow night. I completely forgot about it. Yes it looks juvenile, but I could use a little humor in my life.

I thought it felt like a mix of Trek and Galaxy Quest with a sprinkle of American Pie. Thankfully, the later wasn't too prevalent. I don't mind a little of that, but a little goes a long way. Most of that is in the first few minutes of the episode. Overall, entertaining, particularly for a pilot. I'll likely keep watching for now. It's too soon to tell if it will become a show I look forward to. It will be particularly interesting to have it on alongside the new Trek in a couple weeks.

Of course, don't get too attached. It's on FOX. I still haven't forgiven them for Firefly.

Was it the next remake of Star Trek? No. But it was pretty funny.
Unfortunately, it's on Fox, on Sunday, during football season.
Buh bye. (won't make it past 5 or 6 episodes)

I watched it. I enjoyed. I will watch it before I watch the dreaded star trek discovery. This new trek has gone where no man has gone before far far left. At least with orville its a comedy.

Right now I can take it or leave it. Seems like series version of Galaxy Quest to me. The film techniques and music score bothered me to no end. I couldn't figure out where I'd seen it and heard it before. Then it dawned on me--Seaquest DSV!

Seems like series version of Galaxy Quest to me.
Exactly what I thought, too. For me, worth watching for a while to see if it remains so. Not "commercial worthy" (i.e., would still watch even if I couldn't skip commercials), but I'm stumped about what I think is anymore.

Rate it about 5 out of 10.

Will watch some more.

I did like the "tree" idea....

MacFarlane said they are trying for a Guardians of the Galaxy type of style, not serious like Trek or Star Wars (usually), but not just a big joke. Galaxy Quest delivered on that kind of style. MacFarlane...... sometimes goes too far with repeated lame gigs (giggity).

I will watch it again. Its got to be better than the 60 Minutes Show last night. Charlie Rose would ask a question and before Banon would get an answer he would ask 3 more. Its seems to be very poor way to do an interview. He was just trying to trip Banon up. No more Charlie Rose for me.

I liked it. Looks great! No deep message like original Treks, but it's 2017 and they didn't have to make at least 5 really stupid mistakes to put them in the extremely unlikely situation the deep message applies to either. The humor maybe makes it seem more lightweight, if so it's just drawing attention to how lightweight sci-fi often is anyway. Really funny scene near the end and an ingenious, properly science fiction way to win at the end.

OK, don't give too much away yet... I gotta keep myself in suspenders so I can watch this after my township meeting when I get home tomorrow...
It's in my Tivo so far. The only new show besides Dr Who...

I actually liked it. Noticed one of the producers is Brannon Braga from Enterprise, etc. And I agree with the statement above. I'll watch this series WAY before Discovery. Far too much agenda in that series.

Here is my take.

I thought it was ok. Looked pretty good. Felt the pacing of the dialog was generally a bit slow- especially so when a comedic line was dropped-almost like a space was left for folks to laugh.

I will watch it, but I have a hunch it will not survive very long.

I have far more interest in this than Trek Discovery. That thing sounds like a disaster. I will watch the first over the air free episode, but I am not paying for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Well, if you have no real storyline, questionable acting and marginal comedy you can always make it up by casting a tall, hot actress...

7ce8a1077aa65ea1cca2b1ce57a2ca72--sexy-legs-girl-stuff.jpg

...I have far more interest in this than Trek Discovery. That thing sounds like a disaster. I will watch the first over the air free episode, but I am not paying for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I am not paying $5 a month, or $60 a year to watch one TV show. I know you get full access to CBS stuff, but this would probably be the only show I watch on all access. Therefore, I really hope the CBS all access idea fizzles.

Was that Babu Batt from Seinfeld playing the head of the science station?

I dislike parody shows, so I probably won't go out of my way to watch it.

As for Discovery, I'll probably see it just because it's Star Trek. Not like this is the first time its done something controversial. Interracial kiss in the original series? Fair number of people were upset at that. Gender-switching Trill in Next-Generation? Raised some eyebrows too. Black Commander/Captain for DS9? Not exactly controversial, but not expected at the time either.

Regarding Discovery.... I've only seen a couple previews for it, and they looked pretty typical for Trek. What's got people so upset about it?

Was it the next remake of Star Trek? No. But it was pretty funny.
Unfortunately, it's on Fox, on Sunday, during football season.
Buh bye. (won't make it past 5 or 6 episodes)

The first two episodes are on Sunday, then it moves to Thursdays

Sorry, but it was Star Trek lite done by a bunch of Hollywood elites. I am sure that Gene is spinning in his grave. Fox really dropped a big steaming pile here. Funny, Fox had a really good Syi-Fi comedy with Matt and David's "Futurama" but they CANCELED it in 2013 just when it was getting interesting. Hello Fox! You had something with "Futurama" and you blew it. Please bring back Fry, Leela, the Professor and the rest of the Planet Express crew. There is still a lot of adventures to be explores. Hell... South Park is going on season 21 and they haven't run out of steam YET!

IMG_0124_2.JPG

iPhone Feb 2017 013.JPG

iPhone Feb 2017 015.JPG

iPhone Feb 2017 275.JPG

I tried and failed to watch it. Bleh.

I hold no hope for Discovery. I really hate the new Klingons dressed like a spiderman character.

klingon.jpg

star-trek-discovery-klingons-1002567-1280x0.jpg

I thought the ad for The Orville was somewhat interesting, but when it came down to actually watching it I didn't bother. I'm a fan of Star Trek, odd humor, and (at times) Seth MacFarlane, but it just didn't catch enough of my attention. Since the reviews are pretty "meh" I probably won't bother catching up.

Back