Thoughts on my Model Rocket Tutorial build and launch Youtube Tutorial.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanaywhat

Reaction score
Thoughts on my Model Rocket build and launch tutorial. It is blowing up on Youtube. Sadly on the second launch the rocket never came back down and I am curious if it could have gone so high it broke into orbit. Check it out and tell me what you think. rocketlaunchthumbnail.png

Am I the only one who thinks Estes products could use some updating? That launch controller, the rubber shock cords, the stupid piece of paper you fold as an attachment point for it, no through-wall fins, etc.

Am I the only one who thinks Estes products could use some updating? That launch controller, the rubber shock cords, the stupid piece of paper you fold as an attachment point for it, no through-wall fins, etc.

The Pro Series II launch controller is available, and I've never had an issue with the rubber shock cords or trifold mount. In fact, I recently stressed a rubber shock cord pretty significantly pulling a Mean Machine out of a tree, and the nose eyelet broke before the shock cord or trifold failed.

The Pro Series II launch controller is available, and I've never had an issue with the rubber shock cords or trifold mount. In fact, I recently stressed a rubber shock cord pretty significantly pulling a Mean Machine out of a tree, and the nose eyelet broke before the shock cord or trifold failed.
I agree that it's all very functional. I guess when I picked up an Estes catalog recently for the first time in at least 30 years and saw the exact same products from back then, I was a little shocked. The Alpha III kit even has the same decals! lol

To what end? To make the kits more expensive and less approachable to newcomers? I think this is a case of "don't fix what isn't broken". Estes appears to have found a successful formula for cost-effective low-powered rocketry, why change it?

I don't understand all of the hate for the tri-fold mount or shock cord. They work perfectly fine for beginners into the hobby; those with more experience can upgrade to other materials. In any case, I think it's likely the average beginner user will lose/destroy a rocket before the shock cord or tri-fold mount fails. 🤷‍♂️

You are not the only one. But, funny thing, Estes keeps ignoring most of these suggestions. Makes you wonder how they've stay in business for 60 years. ;) Must be selling some rockets I guess.

hanaywhat, nice video. But the up part is the easiest part. Tracking the down part is a little harder. Finding a more open field would be my next mission.

Thoughts on my Model Rocket build and launch tutorial.
Always nice to see someone having fun with rockets. That said, two problems:
  1. Fiberglass insulation is an awful choice for wadding. The recommended waddings (either the Estes toilet-paper type or cellulose "dog barf") are non-toxic and biodegradable, in contrast to the fiberglass. Please don't use that stuff.
  2. The stream of live comments on the left side of the screen was pretty offensive and off-putting to me.
On the plus side, I was impressed that you managed to avoid completely gluing your fingers together considering the way you were applying the CA to the fin can. :)

To what end? To make the kits more expensive and less approachable to newcomers? I think this is a case of "don't fix what isn't broken". Estes appears to have found a successful formula for cost-effective low-powered rocketry, why change it?

I don't understand all of the hate for the tri-fold mount or shock cord. They work perfectly fine for beginners into the hobby; those with more experience can upgrade to other materials. In any case, I think it's likely the average beginner user will lose/destroy a rocket before the shock cord or tri-fold mount fails. 🤷‍♂️
Like I said in a different post, yes it’s all very functional. But I don’t know, everything they make just seem so dated. This is just personal opinion no offense to anybody...

Back