Thoughts on launching during this whole Europe fiasco

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overklock

Reaction score
I'm curious as to what people think regarding launching during this whole Russia/Ukraine fiasco. I launch at a recreation area with a dedicated rocket launch area, but I'm a bit worried it may freak some people out having mid-sized rockets flying over their heads.

Anyone else have this on their mind?

I'm curious as to what people think regarding launching during this whole Russia/Ukraine fiasco. I launch at a recreation area with a dedicated rocket launch area, but I'm a bit worried it may freak some people out having mid-sized rockets flying over their heads.

Nope.

Well that's fairly straight forward. Any particular reason why you're not too worried?

People are not afraid of model rockets and they certainly can’t be mistaken for an intercontinental ballistic missile. You don’t see an intercontinental ballistic missile coming . . . one second you are there, the next second you’re ash.

I launched rockets in Utah two days after 9/11 and didn’t give it a second’s thought.

People are not afraid of model rockets and they certainly can’t be mistaken for an intercontinental ballistic missile. You don’t see an intercontinental ballistic missile coming . . . one second you are there, the next second you’re ash.

I launched rockets in Utah two days after 9/11 and didn’t give it a second’s thought.

I'm in Cali, people see my rockets and have no idea what they even are. I'll take that into consideration though. Thanks!

I'm in Cali, people see my rockets and have no idea what they even are. I'll take that into consideration though. Thanks!

I’m in California too . . . Northern California, and I would be more concerned about people reporting me due to the fire danger. I would only launch after it has rained, unless I launched in the desert.

As has been suggested on another thread, I actually think we can show our support of Ukraine by launching model rockets in the colors of their flag. Symbolic, but sure beats wringing our hands.
0228220816[1].jpg
And it gives me a good reason to finish painting my downscale, upscale and stock Deuces Wild.
Laters.

I don't see anone around here that gets especially nervous because "ROCKETS!". We had a herd of local kids show up Sunday, and they were as excited and curious as ever (and I think the parents were, too). The military, however, has changed the notification rules a bit. Now (ok, soon), we have to notify them 48 hrs in advance the numbers, weights, and estimated altitudes for our launches. Heck, sometimes I don't know until the morning of, when I'm loading the truck, what rocket I'll fly and what motor.

but I'm a bit worried it may freak some people out having mid-sized rockets flying over their heads.
Do you have people wandering around your dedicated rocket launch area unaware where they are?

I've never seen ANY model rockets launched that flew in a way that could be mistaken for anything other than a model rocket. They're small, fast, hard to see once they get any altitude on them, and I'd think they'd be impossible for anyone to spot them "flying overhead" without having heard them launch nearby.

So my answer is no, there's no need for us to worry about freaking anyone out.

Unless you are launching near Ukraine, you are probably ok.

You never hear the gunshot that kills you ....

I live close enough to government installations that I've been pulled over and looked over due to the Model rockets in my hatchback; I had my current fliers in the back.We were flying every Saturday back then. I gave a short promo to a couple of bemused cops, who had to answer a call. :) Their biggest question was if they were considered a firework, which is where the no fuzes or report comes in. You never know who you might be showing the nar safety code to, lol.

I live close enough to government installations that I've been pulled over and looked over due to the Model rockets in my hatchback; I had my current fliers in the back.We were flying every Saturday back then. I gave a short promo to a couple of bemused cops, who had to answer a call. :) Their biggest question was if they were considered a firework, which is where the no fuzes or report comes in. You never know who you might be showing the nar safety code to, lol.
I always keep a copy of our local parks and recreation web page showing that model rocket flying is an approved activity in specific parks. Not all cops flew model rockets when they were kids. One cop came over when we were launching at an approved park and asked us if we had a permit. We showed him the web page to let him know that no permit was needed. He then explained to the complainant that we weren't breaking any laws. and we continued having fun.

Do you have people wandering around your dedicated rocket launch area unaware where they are?

I've never seen ANY model rockets launched that flew in a way that could be mistaken for anything other than a model rocket. They're small, fast, hard to see once they get any altitude on them, and I'd think they'd be impossible for anyone to spot them "flying overhead" without having heard them launch nearby.

So my answer is no, there's no need for us to worry about freaking anyone out.

My launch area is a rather large recreation area that has both launch sites and camping/bbq/kids activities. The launch area is far enough and big enough away that rockets won't be falling on peoples heads, but they'll still definitely be visible, especially while I'm launching on G engines.

Maybe 15 years ago two sheriff deputies came into our launch site with their lights flashing (no sirens). Someone called 911 and reported that one of the F-16s from a nearby airbase had crashed and that they saw the pilot floating down on a parachute. Actually, it was a rather large dual deploy rocket that they spotted while driving on the highway that ran past our field. The deputies hung out for a while and watched some rockets launch and then had to get back to work.

Nope.

Mike

Mind if I ask the name of the place in CA that has a dedicated rocket launching area? I too, am in CA and having a place like this to go to,,would be cool.

Tony

I'm a bit worried it may freak some people out having mid-sized rockets flying over their heads.
The launch area is far enough and big enough away that rockets won't be falling on peoples heads
I think you'll be okay, and don't need to worry about anyone freaking out while the Russia/Ukraine situation is going on.

I wouldn’t hesitate to launch, but the examples of carrying copies of the Safety Codes and Parks and Recreation rules in order to educate those who are either curious or dispatched to investigate are absolutely excellent! Now is a great time to introduce people to Rocketry and by comparison demonstrate how safe it is.

chuckle.

I hear your concern, and generally no. We are far enough away that it isn't a worry. What does worry me is that you say "People with rockets flying over their heads" We know what you mean, but the way you worded it sound like they are on a nice arc to a few miles away..

Generally there isn't a worry. but there are a few who would 'get their panties in a bunch'.

And yes, after 9/11, there were worries about model airplanes being sold & flown remotely into buildings. And others who weren't "white" taking flying lessons.

A number of years ago, outside UBC, they have a large field that is/was used for a few events Some of the local students wanted to do some model rocketry. If you look at a map of the city of Vancouver, you see that this area is off the western tip of the city. It is also near the approach path for Vancouver international airport. It is technically far enough away to not be an issue, but it is on a rise, and is very easily seen. Apparently there was an approaching airliner from [pick a 2nd or 3rd world country] and saw smoke trails coming up. They immediately reported to the tower that they were being shot at, seeing missiles / smoke trails coming up.. The local police were dispatched, and told the kids 'no more flying'..

One year, crossing the US border to go launch, the agent asked to see the rockets in my trunk. He pulled out the AMRAAM I had. "That's pretty cool. Carry on. Have a good time.. NEXT!!" and I'm sure the person behind was: "Holley crud, that guy has missiles in his trunk!!! And he was let thru?!?!?"

Anyone not from the US, but visiting the US, do worry that they may end up dead from a gun fight. It's widely known / suspected that every American carries a gun. (I believe the US is the only G7 country where guns are as common as [insert 3rd world country]). I say this not as some leftist non-gun pansy, but to point out that what you may consider "normal & safe & understood" may not be "normal & safe & understood" to others.

You don’t see an intercontinental ballistic missile coming . . . one second you are there, the next second you’re ash.
As I've said before, if the nukes start flying, I want to be sitting directly under the biggest bomb they throw our way.
I've seen Threads ('84), Testament ('83) and The Day After ('83) and I don't want to be a "Walking wounded".
And let's not forget Panic in the Year Zero ('62) or On the Beach ('59).

Nope.
But then, you didn't state where you live or plan to launch.

Over here, I'm more concerned with the weather forecast, which is highly unpredictable and mostly not launch-accommodating this time of the year.

Unless you are launching near Ukraine, you are probably ok.

I was thinking Russia, and Vlad's Ural bunker area in particular.
OTOH, a fly-away HP launch in/over Belarus might be fun, and might accidently trigger a regime change ...

a

"Way back in the day"...like my Dad used to say, I helped out a buddy going thru a divorce/relocation/new job thingy. This was when the LOC Bruiser was considered 'big' and military style rockets (Sidewinders, Amraams, etc.) were considered cool. We agreed to meet in a huge Hotel complex parking lot right off the interstate so he could offload his stuff to me. Neither of us thought about anything other than meeting each other halfway to save gas and time. He had a pickup and I had a full size (Caprice 9 Passenger) wagon. So we're transferring these rockets, stopping to point out features or quirks and the Police roll up. In two squad cars, one guy's gun drawn pointing in the air standing behind the car, the other driver with his gun out but not pointed at us. We literally put our hands up. Seems a nosy Karen on the 4th floor of this ritzy hotel thought she saw Russian arms dealing in the parking lot right next to a very busy freeway in plain view of the world and hysterically called the cops. We explained they were 'toy' rockets because the general public seems quicker to grasp that concept. I invited them to attend a launch, after I broke the Bruiser apart to show them they were 'inert' and not weaponized. Real sidewinders don't need parachutes....duh! We did laugh our asses off after they left and generically flipped off the facade of the hotel so Karen would know we knew it was her. All we knew was the 4th floor according to the officer) but maybe others were watching. I would say in this day snd age not to travel around town with rockets in your roof rack. Good times, good times.

Last edited:
Probably a bad thing...

missile-balloons-for-your-car-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back