Thoughts and Comments on Current Russian,Ukrainian Conflict/War

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indeed, although I was anticipating a witty vodka line from Thirsty... but :questions:

TP

If those vodka-marinated idiots are lookin‘ for a good ass-whuppin’, then come on over! Round up your syphilitic prisoner army, climb aboard those rusty tanks and donkey carts, and roll on in here like an olive that’s been soakin’ at the bottom of a martini for way too long. ‘Coz this is bourbon country, Ivan! Sour mash! A drink for MEN! Strong, like the oak it’s aged in! Come in here smellin’ of vodka and lookin’ for a fight — you’ll get your turn in the barrel!

Last edited:
How soon do you think the Ukrainian offensive will start? It feels to me like it could be any day now. I’d be surprised it it’s any more than two weeks out. Maybe next week sometime. I think nearly all the promised vehicles have been delivered. It seems like almost everything is in place.

So this turned out not to be a great prediction at the end of April. Here we are a month later, and it doesn’t seem to have started yet. Maybe next week? Couldn’t be more than 2 weeks out now, right?

So this turned out not to be a great prediction at the end of April. Here we are a month later, and it doesn’t seem to have started yet. Maybe next week? Couldn’t be more than 2 weeks out now, right?
Zelensky says they're not quite ready, but it depends who you listen to. Some say the attacks on the Russian mainland is the start of the offensive. Who knows what's happening behind the scenes.

TP

I have been watching videos from TVP World. The show is called Military Mind. The Go Pro videos are amazing. This war will go down in history for the individuals point of view via the camera. There are some videos that you see from two perspectives. One the guy on the ground and one from a drone overhead. The drone operator tells the guys on the ground where the Russians are. There are a lot of videos on You Tube that show trench clearing. I can't understand why they are not using flame throwers. Were they banned and I don't remember? If not I think the Russians would surrender pretty quick if the choice was burn or give up.

Zelensky says they're not quite ready, but it depends who you listen to. Some say the attacks on the Russian mainland is the start of the offensive. Who knows what's happening behind the scenes.

TP

I’ve heard similar opinions that the counterattack is already underway, with things like the attacks near Belgorod and some missile strikes on the Russian rear in Ukraine being called “shaping operations” to get Russia to move forces where Ukraine wants.

If those represent the beginning, then it is just the very, very beginning. I know that it won’t start with a “Ready, set, go!” and Ukraine attacks all at once. But I feel like when it gets going, it’s going to be pretty obvious things have started. I’m expecting a lot more long-range missile strikes on the Russian rear positions and some dramatic, massed, combined-arms maneuvers.

I trust the Ukrainian top military leadership knows what it is doing and has a good plan. But without knowing what it is, it’s starting to feel a bit late already. It seems like the longer they wait, the more time the Russians have to reinforce and resupply.

TP
A couple of the more senior folks below Zelenskyy said something about the counteroffensive coming in the next few days. They're obviously going to be vague about the actual timing, but it seems likely that it will start in days to a week or two. The attacks on command posts and ammunition dumps definitely echo the Kherson counteroffensive.
I have been watching videos from TVP World. The show is called Military Mind. The Go Pro videos are amazing. This war will go down in history for the individuals point of view via the camera. There are some videos that you see from two perspectives. One the guy on the ground and one from a drone overhead. The drone operator tells the guys on the ground where the Russians are. There are a lot of videos on You Tube that show trench clearing. I can't understand why they are not using flame throwers. Were they banned and I don't remember? If not I think the Russians would surrender pretty quick if the choice was burn or give up.
The Russians have been using flamethrowers. Maybe there's some dispute about how effective they actually are? Also, there's been a video circulating where a Russian was surrounded and all of his compatriots had been shot, and he still didn't surrender before being shot dead. Burning up sounds worse than being shot, but some troops at least are very resistant to surrender.

A couple of the more senior folks below Zelenskyy said something about the counteroffensive coming in the next few days. They're obviously going to be vague about the actual timing, but it seems likely that it will start in days to a week or two. The attacks on command posts and ammunition dumps definitely echo the Kherson counteroffensive.

The Russians have been using flamethrowers. Maybe there's some dispute about how effective they actually are? Also, there's been a video circulating where a Russian was surrounded and all of his compatriots had been shot, and he still didn't surrender before being shot dead. Burning up sounds worse than being shot, but some troops at least are very resistant to surrender.
I can see why. Look back at the fate of captured Russian POWs, once repatriated back to Mother Russia. :(

I can see why. Look back at the fate of captured Russian POWs, once repatriated back to Mother Russia. :(
Also worth remembering how few Japanese (even civilians) would surrender to allied troops because of the propaganda they'd been fed about how Americans raped/tortured/ate/whatever captives.

Sorta a bit of DisInfo. The way Elon said that was about how all the other Defense companies were getting huge amounts of the 100 billion funding for Uki [which goes to the Defense contractors mostly here in the USA to supply weapons] that Space-x was not getting any of that cash cow and it was sorta a flip off.

Given Defense needs Space-X my guess is they are letting them get into the cash cow "a little bit" so they don't bow out later.

Flamethrowers are pretty risky weapons. They sow terror but that also provokes a lot of enemy aggression. Not good when you’re weighed down by big, heavy, flammable fuel tanks and don’t have a long range for practical engagement. If you’re captured wearing flame apparatus, you can count on summary execution.

Flamethrowers are pretty risky weapons. They sow terror but that also provokes a lot of enemy aggression. Not good when you’re weighed down by big, heavy, flammable fuel tanks and don’t have a long range for practical engagement. If you’re captured wearing flame apparatus, you can count on summary execution.

"images of the “Napalm Girl”—the 1972 Pulitzer Prize-winning photo of a naked nine-year-old girl fleeing her village following a napalm attack—helped turn public opinion against the use of such weapons. "

The modern Flame Throwers in Nam shot Napalm

In Nam, there were rocket flame throwers using Napalm that reached 5X or more times farther then WWII

What would the actual range be? I imagine still pretty short compared to a firearm of similar size and heft.

The issue is a longer range firearm can only hit one person at a time. a longer range Napalm weapon can take out a Section or a large part of a Squad in one burst.

Anyway we don't use them anymore, I saw the pictures from that south Asia War [many times at the dinner table each night] ; it was well .. I will leave it at that.

I’m ok with no use of flamethrowers or napalm. There’s no good way to die. Shot to death, blown up, bleeding out are all bad enough. No need to add burned alive to the options.

"images of the “Napalm Girl”—the 1972 Pulitzer Prize-winning photo of a naked nine-year-old girl fleeing her village following a napalm attack—helped turn public opinion against the use of such weapons. "

The modern Flame Throwers in Nam shot Napalm
The "Napalm Girl" is now living in Canada.

Back