Thoughts and Comments on Current Russian,Ukrainian Conflict/War

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing about wars today is that much of it is not about the tactics of land based troops..... Cyber is the ultimate front line :

https://www.reuters.com/business/fi...y-largest-ddos-attack-its-history-2022-12-06/
As I understand it, cyber attacks have been less effective than anticipated by some. At least I don't remember public reports of highly effective disruptions.

I'm not too surprised about that. As soon as the gloves come off, folks remember that they can operate a sewage plant without connecting it to a fancy web dashboard.

In situations that are below a full out war, cyber will get more and more important though.

Reinhard

I am confused over the importance of Bakhmut. One article reads:

“The most intense fighting has been taking place in eastern Ukraine, where Russian forces have been pushing to take the city of Bakhmut, a key strategic hub, for months.”

And then I’ve seen several articles similar to this:

"The Russian assault on Bakhmut is reminiscent of earlier and ultimately successful campaigns to capture the port city of Mariupol and the twin cities of Severodonetsk and Lysychansk — with some notable differences.
All of those cities were recognized as strategic military objectives and major population centres, whereas Bakhmut is neither."

Seems like both Ukraine and Russia are putting a lot of resources into Bakhmut, so they must think it’s important.
From the ISW:
“The costs associated with six months of brutal, grinding, and attrition-based combat around #Bakhmut far outweigh any operational advantage that the #Russians can obtain from taking Bakhmut,” the Institute for the Study of War, a think tank in Washington, posted on its Twitter feed on Thursday."

From the ISW:
“The costs associated with six months of brutal, grinding, and attrition-based combat around #Bakhmut far outweigh any operational advantage that the #Russians can obtain from taking Bakhmut,” the Institute for the Study of War, a think tank in Washington, posted on its Twitter feed on Thursday."

Unfortunately, the “sunk costs fallacy”, doesn’t work very well in politics. Logically, you don’t just continue to throw good money (or human lives) after bad. Just because you’ve already spent so much, doesn’t mean you need to keep going down the same path if it’s not working out.

But politically, it’s hard to justify getting nothing after spending so much. They’d rather achieve the goal no matter the cost at this point rather than walk away with nothing after all they’ve already wasted. That’s especially true in Bakhmut where they’ve inflated the importance of it so much, but it’s probably the logic for the entire war at this point.

Unfortunately, the “sunk costs fallacy”, doesn’t work very well in politics. Logically, you don’t just continue to throw good money (or human lives) after bad. Just because you’ve already spent so much, doesn’t mean you need to keep going down the same path if it’s not working out.
But......the sunk costs thinking worked so well for the U.S. im VietNam, and Afghanistan.

Oh, wait....... :(

Last edited:
Denise Davidov's said on today's YouTube, the Ukraine is fighting in Bahkmut only because Russia wants it. In his view, Ukraine is ahead because Russia is wasting itself by throwing troops into a meat grinder and Ukraine isn't losing that many. In that calculus, they're willing to let Russia waste lives and blood for nothing of strategic value.

Denise Davidov's said on today's YouTube, the Ukraine is fighting in Bahkmut only because Russia wants it. In his view, Ukraine is ahead because Russia is wasting itself by throwing troops into a meat grinder and Ukraine isn't losing that many. In that calculus, they're willing to let Russia waste lives and blood for nothing of strategic value.
There are losses on both sides, but higher for Russia if for no other reason than they doing most of the attacking. For Ukraine it still appears to fit under the “never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake“ category.

Last edited:
There are losses on both sides, but higher for Russia if for no other reason than they doing most of the attacking. For Ukraine it still appears to fit under the “never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake“ category.
That about sums it up.

In other news, recently successful strikes by Ukraine deep into Russian territory has produced one notable political result - as documented by ISW:

An unnamed US defense source told The Times that the Pentagon is no longer insisting that Ukraine should not strike military targets within Russia.​
The source noted that the Pentagon has changed its perspective on this matter following the recent intensification of Russian missile strikes on Ukrainian civilian infrastructure over the last few months and that the Pentagon has become less concerned regarding the risk of escalation, including nuclear escalation, with Russia.​

Now we just need to assist Ukrainians with appropriate "supplies" for projecting force within Russia's borders with maximum effect.

On the topic of whether we are retaining enough ammunition for our own military... US aid to Ukraine is slowing down, in part because we are retaining enough ammunition to fight "two and a half" wars (generally envisioned as Russia, China, and N Korea). However, the ammunition levels to fight Russia are pre-Ukraine invasion, so they don't take into account (a) the mauling Russian forces are taking and (b) how poorly Russian forces are performing. In a sense, ammunition provided to Ukraine would be a net wash in terms of fighting Russia since it's being used on the Russian army as we speak.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...-suddenly-slow-rolling-Ukrainian-military-aid
One other interesting factoid in there. There's a huge difference in how artillery-dependent Russia is vs. the US. The US used a few hundred rounds of artillery per day in Iraq and Afghanistan, vs. on the order of ten thousand rounds a day by Russia in Ukraine. Granted, those are apples and oranges, but the 2-orders-of-magnitude difference is still striking.

Yup, guided munitions are a huge force multiplier.
Exactly. You don’t have to carpet bomb the entire area to hit the target, it’s less messy that way and it may even be less expensive in terms of materiel expenditure/logistics. You also don’t tear up the area to such a degree that you deny your own troops mobility.

I saw today that Ukraine is getting 28 Slovenian M55S's. An upgraded T55. The upgrade was done partially by Israel. NATO standard gun. In return Slovenia is getting some German trucks. I want to see more air defense going to Ukraine. And ATACMS. They have hit Russia and there was no nukes. But then, I would give them anything they wanted. The faster we defang Russia the better. Make them give up 90% of their nukes. They have been a thorn in the side of the world since WWII.

Russia is not going to admit defeat. It is not in the kind of thinking of Putin and the KGB way of operating. It would be great if the Ukraine could put up an air defense situation that would greatly reduce the long range missile attacks. The Ukraine could then start rebuilding and operating like a normal country and would not be so dependent on what the Russians do.

Russia is not going to admit defeat. It is not in the kind of thinking of Putin and the KGB way of operating. It would be great if the Ukraine could put up an air defense situation that would greatly reduce the long range missile attacks. The Ukraine could then start rebuilding and operating like a normal country and would not be so dependent on what the Russians do.
The end game is going to be strangely challenging.
Even if we succeed in helping Ukraine to regain ALL of its occupied territory, including Crimea, Putin and his circle will continue insisting that none of that happened. Cause to officially and public admit defeat would be suicidal to their control over Russia, and their personal health. Historical figures who loose wars in Russia tend to slip in shower and fall on bullets.

I recall watching an interview with one of the US journalists who regularly visits Russia, and he was commenting that even after mobilization, there were ZERO signs of war in Moscow, or on state-controlled TV. Basically, for 99% of Russian population, the war does not exist (never mind that you can't call it a war without going to jail), and it's going swimmingly well. And the other 1% know enough to keep quiet.

I don't know what it will take to break the Putin's propaganda spell over Russians.
Maybe lobbying a few cruise missiles into Kremlin and setting it on fire might make it plainly obvious for the Russians that it's not all rainbows and unicorns for Russians dying in Ukraine?

a

Even if we succeed in helping Ukraine to regain ALL of its occupied territory, including Crimea, Putin and his circle will continue insisting that none of that happened. Cause to officially and public admit defeat would be suicidal to their control over Russia, and their personal health. Historical figures who loose wars in Russia tend to slip in shower and fall on bullets.

I recall watching an interview with one of the US journalists who regularly visits Russia, and he was commenting that even after mobilization, there were ZERO signs of war in Moscow, or on state-controlled TV. Basically, for 99% of Russian population, the war does not exist (never mind that you can't call it a war without going to jail), and it's going swimmingly well. And the other 1% know enough to keep quiet.

I don't know what it will take to break the Putin's propaganda spell over Russians.
Maybe lobbying a few cruise missiles into Kremlin and setting it on fire might make it plainly obvious for the Russians that it's not all rainbows and unicorns for Russians dying in Ukraine?

a
I’d say continuing to conduct sabotage, drone, missile, and artillery strikes in Russia so long as hostilities continue is valid, as are manned air strikes if the anti-air systems can be sufficiently degraded. Western propagandists may also be able to get word in on the situation on the border via radio, broadcast TV, the mail, or the Russian internet.

What may end up being the hardest to ignore though is the steady stream of bodies coming home, or not coming home.

a
The end game is going to be unpleasant. Exactly how unpleasant kind of depends. The best case for Ukraine is that they substantially retake the pre-2014 borders and Putin is deposed (not necessarily in that order). The next guy cleans house and basically says that Putin was lying all along, let's sign a peace treaty and by the way can you lift sanctions? Then everyone can get back to the oligarchs grifting the system, which is the way they like it.

So that's Pollyanna. The reality is that there are enough entrenched interests that the power struggle when Putin dies/gets deposed isn't going to result in clearing out the warmongers. The warmongers are going to be duking it out amongst themselves. Best case for Russia is that one strongman (Prigozhin?) wins out early. Worst case is a post-Soviet Afghanistan-style power vacuum with half a dozen armed factions all undermining each other. If Prigozhin wins easily, then many of Putin's policies will stay in place until he's deposed too. There might be power struggles where the regular Russian army accidentally-on-purpose sabotages the Wagner Group to keep Prigozhin's power in check. If it's a total free-for-all, the guns will be pointed inwards, not outwards and Ukraine can retake territory to its pre-2014 boundaries in the confusion.

Regardless of what happens, loss of 2014-2022 territory is going to be a major shock to the Russian system. Who knows how that shock will manifest? I do think that the prospect I posted earlier about Siberia breaking away and forming its own state is somewhat compelling. Why should they keep financing Moscow once Moscow's military power is broken?

This interview is long, but it is worth a watch. It is a very frank and informative picture of the war from the perspective of a mid level Ukraine commander, Captain Arty Green who has been fighting in Donbas since 2014. In particular, he sees the inevitable and ultimate Ukrainian victory will be determined by the level of US support. He suggests soldiers near the front line are not as excited about liberating areas that have been under Russian propaganda for the last 8 years as those not doing the fighting.
https://t.co/b2EgOHeYW6
edit: added link with English subtitles

Last edited:
This has been mentioned before, but now it seems that, at the present rate of use, Russia will use all of its stored artillery ammunition by early next year.

But more than that, they're already using stored ammunition from North Korea and Iran. So, while i feel terrible for Ukrainians, and whole Russian attacks on civilians is criminal, Ukraine isn't just depleting Russia, its depleting Ronnie Reagan's entire "Axis of Evil."

The senior U.S. military official assessed that Russia would burn through its fully-serviceable stocks of ammunition by early 2023 if it did not resort to foreign suppliers and older stocks.

"We assess that at the rate of fire that Russia has been using its artillery and rocket ammunition in terms of what we would call fully serviceable artillery and rocket ammunition. They could probably do that until early 2023," the official said.
From Reuters. Full article here: https://www.reuters.com/world/europ...-year-old-rounds-us-official-says-2022-12-12/

Russia has been forced into using 40 year old artillery shells or from second world powers such as North Korea, cobbled together drones from Iran, and diseased prisoners as cannon fodder. Roughly 20% of their rockets and drones reach their targets; the rest are destroyed in flight by Ukraine. I don’t know if there’s a reason to believe that Russia’s nuclear arsenal would be more successful.
At the same time, it appears that Ukraine (or someone with Ukraine’s interests at heart) has been able to destroy targets in Russia at will. Whenever that happens we don’t hear Russia announcing that only 20% got through. Instead it appears that those strikes are complete surprises.
I have no idea how long Russia can continue. Economically the entire Russian country is suffering. They’re only continuing now because of Putin’s ego.
Ukraine suffers worse than anyone as Russia continues to target civilian infrastructure and population centers. Instead of liberating the cities from the atrocities that Russia claimed were happening, Russia has started shelling those cities. Apparently that’s how you save a city, by shelling it.
But unfortunately the rest of the world has been forced to suffer by Russia’s actions as well. Ukrainian wheat is not being delivered in sufficient quantities to relieve the famine in portions of Africa. Fuel prices remain high worldwide as a result of embargoes and boycotts against Russian energy.
If Russia doesn’t give it up, the world will decide that the status quo cannot continue. Once that happens something will have to give. At that point Europe and America will either have to take direct military action against Russia or apply pressure on Ukraine to sacrifice some of their territory. Neither is a good outcome, but expecting Ukraine to give up some of itself will only encourage future aggressions. Personally I would prefer to see surgical strikes against the military installations in Russia that launch drones and missiles against Ukraine and I’d like to see military strikes against the facilities in Iran that produce the drones.

Russia has been forced into using 40 year old artillery shells or from second world powers such as North Korea, cobbled together drones from Iran, and diseased prisoners as cannon fodder. Roughly 20% of their rockets and drones reach their targets; the rest are destroyed in flight by Ukraine. I don’t know if there’s a reason to believe that Russia’s nuclear arsenal would be more successful.
At the same time, it appears that Ukraine (or someone with Ukraine’s interests at heart) has been able to destroy targets in Russia at will. Whenever that happens we don’t hear Russia announcing that only 20% got through. Instead it appears that those strikes are complete surprises.
I have no idea how long Russia can continue. Economically the entire Russian country is suffering. They’re only continuing now because of Putin’s ego.
Ukraine suffers worse than anyone as Russia continues to target civilian infrastructure and population centers. Instead of liberating the cities from the atrocities that Russia claimed were happening, Russia has started shelling those cities. Apparently that’s how you save a city, by shelling it.
But unfortunately the rest of the world has been forced to suffer by Russia’s actions as well. Ukrainian wheat is not being delivered in sufficient quantities to relieve the famine in portions of Africa. Fuel prices remain high worldwide as a result of embargoes and boycotts against Russian energy.
If Russia doesn’t give it up, the world will decide that the status quo cannot continue. Once that happens something will have to give. At that point Europe and America will either have to take direct military action against Russia or apply pressure on Ukraine to sacrifice some of their territory. Neither is a good outcome, but expecting Ukraine to give up some of itself will only encourage future aggressions. Personally I would prefer to see surgical strikes against the military installations in Russia that launch drones and missiles against Ukraine and I’d like to see military strikes against the facilities in Iran that produce the drones.
Who do you think should make those “surgical strikes” against Russia and Iran? The US? The Ukraine? Some proxy nation?

If Russia doesn’t give it up, the world will decide that the status quo cannot continue. Once that happens something will have to give. At that point Europe and America will either have to take direct military action against Russia or apply pressure on Ukraine to sacrifice some of their territory.
I can't see Europe and America taking direct action against Russia. Even before the Putin era Russia was senstive to attacks on the homeland so military action could seriously backfire. We've already seen that Russia (for now) is managing to prop up its internal economy so I'm not convinced that further economic sanctions are going to have much effect. When Russian foreign exchange starts to run out (much of it is frozen and and they're burning through the rest at a fair rate) things might get much tougher inside Russia.
My view, for what its worth, is that the west can only win this war by outlasting Russia. Russia's hope is that the west will not have the stomach for a protracted war. They hope that hardship in the 'soft' western society will force us to reduce our support for Ukraine. We have to prove them wrong.
So far Russia has avoided conscription from Moscow and St Petersburg as these are Putin's power base. Conscription seems to be focusing on the east of Russia.
We need to stay the course until the Russian economy starts to collapse and they're forced to conscript from the major cities.

I can't see Europe and America taking direct action against Russia.
I agree. A west attack on Russia strengthens Putin domestically alot without any significant effect on Russia militarily.

I can't see Europe and America taking direct action against Russia. Even before the Putin era Russia was senstive to attacks on the homeland so military action could seriously backfire. We've already seen that Russia (for now) is managing to prop up its internal economy so I'm not convinced that further economic sanctions are going to have much effect. When Russian foreign exchange starts to run out (much of it is frozen and and they're burning through the rest at a fair rate) things might get much tougher inside Russia.
My view, for what its worth, is that the west can only win this war by outlasting Russia. Russia's hope is that the west will not have the stomach for a protracted war. They hope that hardship in the 'soft' western society will force us to reduce our support for Ukraine. We have to prove them wrong.
So far Russia has avoided conscription from Moscow and St Petersburg as these are Putin's power base. Conscription seems to be focusing on the east of Russia.
We need to stay the course until the Russian economy starts to collapse and they're forced to conscript from the major cities.
I think the US and Europe would take direct action inside Russia if Russian troops rolled over the border with a NATO country. I don't think ground troops would cross the border, but airstrikes? Almost certainly. That's getting at one of your scenarios above. There's a whole lot of people spoiling for a fight (Poland, Baltics) if Russia gives them an excuse by crossing the border.

Getting into speculation, there's a couple of interesting things. The first is that this is one of the first weeks when it's been below freezing most of the time. Before too long, the ground will freeze hard enough to support tanks and General Mud will be out of the picture in the northeast. Ukraine will have more freedom of movement. Russia too, but they're not on the offensive now.

The second is that there seem to be lots of HIMARS-o-clock explosions on bridges and barracks in Melitopol, which controls supplies to Crimea and the rest of Southern Kherson. That's very similar to the game plan that took Kherson. If Ukraine can sever the rail line running through Melitopol, it becomes nearly impossible to resupply everything [military] south of there. One more hit on the Kerch bridge and everything Crimea consumes from food to gasoline to diapers will need to come by ship.

Back