Thoughts and Comments on Current Russian,Ukrainian Conflict/War

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question. I hope it's not a stupid one. Why not just turn the gas off at the source?
The gas wasn't flowing at the time of sabotage.
Nord Stream 2 was never turned off, but had some gas in it.
Nord Stream 1 was turned off by Russia, under various pretenses, back in August:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60131520
I think there's a few things worth clarifying. First of all, yes, scuba divers and relatively inexpensive commercial ROVs could have gotten to the pipeline. I'd be interested to learn how many technical scuba divers could handle 200 lbs of [object] underwater and guide it to a specific destination in >50m of water. The list of people who could have attached 200 lbs of TNT to the pipeline and then blown it up is smaller than that.

Wow, I did not realize the explosions were THAT big.
I stand corrected - these were not some semi-pro divers moonlighting. Someone tied an undersea mine or a torpedo to the pipe, or the explosives were delivered by maintenance robots operating inside the pipeline itself.
Analyzing explosives residue and debris should provide the few clues.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ze-equal-to-large-amount-of-explosive-un-told

Last edited:
There really isn't much point in speculating when you can be sure that all the resources at NATOs disposal (military, economic, industrial, investigative, etc.) will, and are, be/being employed to discover the answer. All we need to do is wait.

I doubt that it will take long.

There really isn't much point in speculating when you can be sure that all the resources at NATOs disposal (military, economic, industrial, investigative, etc.) will, and are, be/being employed to discover the answer. All we need to do is wait.

I doubt that it will take long.
There are reports that the CIA warned Germany beforehand this may happen. So the answer may already be known. I am sure it is.

Commentators on CNN were commenting (cuz that’s what they do) that the faces in the audience for Putin’s announcement were blank. Videos of the event seemed to support that. Hopefully that means more and more people in Russia are turning against Putin, but unfortunately nobody yet has enough support to displace him.
I watched it and everyone looked nervous and solemn. Not a happy face in the whole crowd. And I found it interesting that the front row was at least 30 feet away from Putin.

Enough already. Time to pull the plug. New " Tough Sanctions" announced against Russia. Thought we already did that................Time to cut our losses.

Simple CUT THE FUNDING.
Funding for whom? For what?

If you take the time to explain your proposition fully, and provide the logic behind it, we may appreciate the effort and conclude that you are doing something more than trying to be disagreeable.

For example:
  • We shouldn't fund XYZ because of reasons X1, X2, and X3.
  • I don't like this country spending money on XYZ, we should directs all funds to ABC. We can't possibly we funding two things at once.
  • This country is running out of money, and we should cut funding for everything.
  • Defund all wars and the military, 'cause I love peace. Why can't we all get along and hug it out?

Last edited:
And let Russia get away with taking territory from another sovereign nation by force?

Never.

Funding for whom? For what?

If you take the time to explain your proposition fully, and provide the logic behind it, we may appreciate the effort and conclude that you are doing something more than trying to be disagreeable.

For example:
  • We shouldn't fund XYZ because of reasons X1, X2, and X3.
  • A don't like this country spending money on XYZ, we should directs all funds to ABC. We can't possibly we funding two things at once.
  • This country is running out of money, and we should cut funding for everything.
  • Defund all wars and the military, 'cause I love peace. Why can't we all get along and hug it out?
As an example of why @MikeT should clarify--I took his "CUT THE FUNDING" statement to mean cut off all purchases of Russian products, including fuel. Which is, of course, a much different kettle of fish than the interpretations above.

As an example of why @MikeT should clarify--I took his "CUT THE FUNDING" statement to mean cut off all purchases of Russian products, including fuel. Which is, of course, a much different kettle of fish than the interpretations above.
Enough already. Time to pull the plug. New " Tough Sanctions" announced against Russia. Thought we already did that................Time to cut our losses.

Cut our losses how?

Simple CUT THE FUNDING.

Mike
Looking at the two posts preceding the “CUT THE FUNDING”, especially where he said “Time to cut our losses” makes it appear as though he wants us (USA) to cut our losses by cutting our funding of Ukraine.

LOL. Just what has 54 Billion gotten us? Not a freaking thing. This is just another money pit, just like Nam. and Afghanistan. The idiots just announced " tougher sanctions" just what the heck were the first ones all about that were supposed to bring Russia to their knees in months? Wake up.
Mike

LOL. Just what has 54 Billion gotten us? Not a freaking thing. This is just another money pit, just like Nam. and Afghanistan. The idiots just announced " tougher sanctions" just what the heck were the first ones all about that were supposed to bring Russia to their knees in months? Wake up.
Mike
Doing the right thing almost always comes at a cost. We certainly could save our money and simply ignore what Russia has done to the people of Ukraine, but fortunately that’s not who we are.

Mike
Where would you like the allied border to be? Eastern Atlantic? Western Ukraine? Eastern Ukraine?
Ukraine is a population of 44M allies. That's actually hell of a big freaking thing.

Clearly the rest of us nearly unanimously see value in protecting the 44 million people in Ukraine and not setting a precedent for allowing such hostile takeovers in the future.

I'm sorry you don't.

Clearly the rest of us nearly unanimously see value in protecting the 44 million people in Ukraine and not setting a precedent for allowing such hostile takeovers in the future.

I'm sorry you don't.
Have we extended MAD policy to a WMD attack on the Ukraine? Maybe I missed that.

Did you mean to quote somebody else? Because there's no rational interpretation of my post that has any correlation with what you wrote.
We are not protecting 44 million Ukrainians from WMD attack without MAD.

The 54 billion prevented Russia from simply rolling over Ukraine, contributed to the abject failure of the Russian military, and may lead to a Ukrainian victory.
And if nothing else it proved that the Big Red Rompin Stopin Russian Machine aka Red Army isnt as bad ass as we thought.

Back