Thoughts and Comments on Current Russian,Ukrainian Conflict/War

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran across this video on YouTube about the history of Ukraine from the time of the last Tsars until now. I find it interesting that Russia outlawed the Ukrainian language in Ukraine and forced them to speak Russian.

I ran across this video on YouTube about the history of Ukraine from the time of the last Tsars until now. I find it interesting that Russia outlawed the Ukrainian language in Ukraine and forced them to speak Russian.

Not too terribly surprising considering that the same thing was done by the English (and later by the Kenyans themselves) in Kenya, and what we (the Americans) did to the American Indians in the Indian schools (and wherever possible). Similar things have been done, with varying degrees of success and implementation by the Greeks, the Romans, and all sorts of other empire builders. It isn't by accident that they speak Portuguese in South America or French in Africa. English in Liberia is similar but different.

Right now the Russians are focussing extreme effort on isolating Severodonetsk. It is the easternmost Ukraine bastion in Donbas, a true city with basements connecting into a sophisticated network of trenches and tunnels, extremely resistant to direct attack. The defending complement may number multiple thousands, but I don't really know. The maps in this Aussie video explains fairly well.

Right now the Russians are focussing extreme effort on isolating Severodonetsk. It is the easternmost Ukraine bastion in Donbas, a true city with basements connecting into a sophisticated network of trenches and tunnels, extremely resistant to direct attack. The defending complement may number multiple thousands, but I don't really know. The maps in this Aussie video explains fairly well.

Sure. They couldn't complete their encirclements of Kyiv or Kharkiv, so now they're taking it out on Mariupol and Severodonetsk.

Sure. They couldn't complete their encirclements of Kyiv or Kharkiv, so now they're taking it out on Mariupol and Severodonetsk.
Agreed. They've captured Mariupol and they may capture Severodonetsk in another bloody siege or it may be abandoned. I think their ultimate potentially attainable goal may be Kramatorsk, a few miles west. But I think they go no further, and indeed may be forced to retreat. I see stalemate just ahead.

Not too terribly surprising considering that the same thing was done by the English (and later by the Kenyans themselves) in Kenya, and what we (the Americans) did to the American Indians in the Indian schools (and wherever possible).

It happened everywhere the colonials 'colonised/civilised'. We call our rocket kits after indigenous language names, and believe it or not we get criticised for it by a vocal minority.

I remind my kids that everything that was here 70,000 years ago already had a name and we should be using their original names, not something an invader made up.

Sorry if that's political, but it's the way I feel.

It happened everywhere the colonials 'colonised/civilised'. We call our rocket kits after indigenous language names, and believe it or not we get criticised for it by a vocal minority.

I remind my kids that everything that was here 70,000 years ago already had a name and we should be using their original names, not something an invader made up.

Sorry if that's political, but it's the way I feel.
I could back this somewhat.

On the other hand, I’d guess that “San Diego” is far easier to write, say, and pronounce for both locals and visitors than whatever the Kumeyaay called (call?) the region. Sometimes colonial names are held onto for convenience.

Last edited:

On the other hand, I’d guess that “San Diego” is far more easier to write, say, and pronounce for both locals and visitors than whatever the Kumeyaay called (call?) the region. Sometimes colonial names are held onto for convenience.

New Zealand and Wales have held a lot of original place names. Heck, Wales even kept their own language. On the island of Anglesey is a town called 'Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch', or in English “The church of Mary in the hollow of the white hazel near the fierce whirlpool and the Church of Tysilio by the red cave.”

Inconvenient, but pretty awesome. 🤔

On the other hand, I’d guess that “San Diego” is far more easier to write, say, and pronounce for both locals and visitors than whatever the Kumeyaay called (call?) the region. Sometimes colonial names are held onto for convenience.

It gets very complicated. You live in Poway, which I think is probably a Kumeyaay place name. I grew up in San Diego, which is a Spanish colonial place name. The city is no longer part of Spain or Mexico, but the name was not anglicized when it became part of the US. The Spanish names were often respected and kept when the state was colonized by Anglo Americans. In other cases, original Native American names have been respected and kept. And in yet other cases, other European names were used. I live in Dublin, CA, named by Irish pioneers.

New Zealand and Wales have held a lot of original place names. Heck, Wales even kept their own language. On the island of Anglesey is a town called 'Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch', or in English “The church of Mary in the hollow of the white hazel near the fierce whirlpool and the Church of Tysilio by the red cave.”

Inconvenient, but pretty awesome. 🤔
That’s awesome.

I don't think there will be a stalemate for long. 40 billion is a lot of beans and bullets. The longer the war goes on I can see more sophisticated weapon systems being sent. IIRC Sweden is sending it's Archer 155mm SPG. I saw something about Leopard MBT's too. I read recently that Ukrainian troops were being trained on the new systems in multiple places. The "West" won't let Ukraine lose. Looks to me that the West is going to out spend Putin and bankrupt Russia. Regan did it once already.

I don't think there will be a stalemate for long. 40 billion is a lot of beans and bullets. The longer the war goes on I can see more sophisticated weapon systems being sent. IIRC Sweden is sending it's Archer 155mm SPG. I saw something about Leopard MBT's too. I read recently that Ukrainian troops were being trained on the new systems in multiple places. The "West" won't let Ukraine lose. Looks to me that the West is going to out spend Putin and bankrupt Russia. Regan did it once already.
Arms manufacturers the world over must be ecstatic at the chance to backfill what everyone's sending to Ukraine.

Ukrainian soldiers will be in high demand for decades, since the ones who survive will have live-fire experience on a wide variety of weapon systems.

Arms manufacturers the world over must be ecstatic at the chance to backfill what everyone's sending to Ukraine.

Ukrainian soldiers will be in high demand for decades, since the ones who survive will have live-fire experience on a wide variety of weapon systems.
The Ukrainian Army will be welcomed into NATO. And The West will have a tenacious ally. On another note. I changed my self administered portfolio to oil and US defense companies the beginning of February. Averaging 20% return. Was 30% a month ago.

Henry Kissinger: Ukraine must give Russia territory
Appeasing a bully only teaches the bully that he can get away with his actions. Just as yourself if this worked when Russia basically annexed the Crimea in 2014.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news...efeat-174812366.html
That headline is clickbait. Nowhere in the article does Kissinger say anything about Ukraine giving up territory. Instead he says this: "Ideally, the dividing line should be a return to the status quo ante."
His concerns are about a drawn out stalemate fragmenting the Wests' resolve and unity.

That headline is clickbait. Nowhere in the article does Kissinger say anything about Ukraine giving up territory. Instead he says this: "Ideally, the dividing line should be a return to the status quo ante."
His concerns are about a drawn out stalemate fragmenting the Wests' resolve and unity.
Which status quo ante, though? Before 2022 when Russia had taken Crimea and pieces of the Donbas? Or before 2014 to return all Russian-occupied regions?

Henry Kissinger was/is an apostle of realpolitik, a political philosophy that is opposed to uncompromising idealism.

Realpolitik (German: [ʁeˈaːlpoliˌtiːk]; from German real 'realistic, practical, actual', and Politik 'politics'), refers to enacting or engaging in diplomatic or political policies based primarily on considerations of given circumstances and factors, rather than strictly binding itself to explicit ideological notions or moral and ethical premises. In this respect, it shares aspects of its philosophical approach with those of realism and pragmatism. It is often simply referred to as "pragmatism" in politics, e.g. "pursuing pragmatic policies" or "realistic policies"

That’s awesome.
That town name is an artifical construction which, nowadays, only exists for tourists. The locals call it 'Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll' (lit: the church of the white hazels) as there are numerous 'Llanfairs' in Wales.
Welsh is still a living language which is used by many at home, taught in schools alongside English, used on roadsigns and official documents, even for labelling in shops. At our rocket club, which is the only one in Wales, we get countdowns in both English and Welsh.

Which status quo ante, though? Before 2022 when Russia had taken Crimea and pieces of the Donbas? Or before 2014 to return all Russian-occupied regions?
If the Ukrainians can kick Russia out of Crimea and the Donbas in short time, great. If it becomes a long drawn out stalemate then it will ruin both Ukraine and Russia, and a negotiated cease fire will be seen as in the best interests of both. What Kissinger is saying is that we may want to see the total defeat of Russia militarily and economically, but the consequences that engenders might be far worse to bear.

If the Ukrainians can kick Russia out of Crimea and the Donbas in short time, great. If it becomes a long drawn out stalemate then it will ruin both Ukraine and Russia, and a negotiated cease fire will be seen as in the best interests of both. What Kissinger is saying is that we may want to see the total defeat of Russia militarily and economically, but the consequences that engenders might be far worse to bear.
I care little about the "total defeat" of Russia, but opinion is that they don't deserve any part of of Ukraine. Anything less than that, and Russia/Putin has achieved their next interim goal by their special military action. I'm sure that people outside of Ukraine would be willing to cede portions of Ukraine to Russia to make their lives easier. I don't like $5+ a gallon of gas, but it seems like a small inconvenience compared to that of the Ukrainian people are willing to suffer to defend their country.

If anybody on this forum believes what the mainstream media is saying about the Russian/Ukraine war, they need their examined.

This war is about Russia killing Neo Nazi’s in Ukraine. I’m a ham radio operator and I get my news unfiltered.

Apparently this Russian Diplomat doesn’t get the same “unfiltered news”:

I care little about the "total defeat" of Russia, but opinion is that they don't deserve any part of of Ukraine. Anything less than that, and Russia/Putin has achieved their next interim goal by their special military action. I'm sure that people outside of Ukraine would be willing to cede portions of Ukraine to Russia to make their lives easier. I don't like $5+ a gallon of gas, but it seems like a small inconvenience compared to that of the Ukrainian people are willing to suffer to defend their country.
Philosophically I agree with that. But let's get real. Some EU countries rely on Russian oil and gas for almost all their energy needs. They are lobbying for a special exemption to the sanctions and are being criticized by their more fortunate counterparts who would not have to bear as much of a hardship. Yes, I agree that $5 a gallon of gas is a small inconvenience. What would you call no gas available at any price? Or a winter with no heating oil for your home? Or your whole nations' economy grinding to a halt because it is cut off from energy supplies? That is what some European countries are looking at, and why the united front is already fragmenting.
And Russia has had a part of Ukraine since 2014. It's called Crimea. Where were all these idealists when they annexed it 8 years ago?

It gets very complicated. You live in Poway, which I think is probably a Kumeyaay place name. I grew up in San Diego, which is a Spanish colonial place name. The city is no longer part of Spain or Mexico, but the name was not anglicized when it became part of the US. The Spanish names were often respected and kept when the state was colonized by Anglo Americans. In other cases, original Native American names have been respected and kept. And in yet other cases, other European names were used. I live in Dublin, CA, named by Irish pioneers.

You should see how some people pronounce town names in Okla. I sometimes think they're shibboleths. "What did you call it? Y'all ain't from around here, are ya?" Of course, I can think of several places in Texas that are the same way.

Naming rockets using Native American names... an *excellent* idea!

You should see how some people pronounce town names in Okla. I sometimes think they're shibboleths. "What did you call it? Y'all ain't from around here, are ya?" Of course, I can think of several places in Texas that are the same way.

Naming rockets using Native American names... an *excellent* idea!
You can tell a Washington local by how they pronounce Puyallup and Sequim. One of the local tribal languages has no m or n sounds, but 8-10 different variations on k and kw.

And I approve of Native/Aboriginal names.

Latest posts

Back