Thoughts and Comments on Current Russian,Ukrainian Conflict/War

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has Zelensky seriously offended NATO and the US by falsely claiming Russia attacked Poland and calling for an Article 5 escalation to full-on WW3 with Russia? Who is really in charge of this war, him, the US, or someone else like General Cluster and Major Disaster?
Where did you source these ideas?

“This is not Ukraine’s fault. Russia bears the ultimate responsibility.”

What that means to me is that if Russia had not invaded in the first place, none of this would have happened. Ukraine has a right to defend its territory and airspace, and accidents will occasionally happen during intercepts.
I defintely would blame Russia for the end result, because they fired/sent 60 to 100+ missiles on that ONE DAY, lately aiming at electric power assets, and Ukraine has GOT to try to stop every attacking missile, drone, or aircraft that they can as they have lost so much of their electrical grid already.

So, yeah, Ukraine fired defensive missiles to take out the Russian missiles attacking Ukraine, and unfortunately two of those Ukraine air defense missiles ended up crossing into Poland and one killed two people. THAT was an accident.

The missiles fired by Russia, seemingly all at civilian targets, was NOT an accident, they were all on purpose. And being that the targets seem to be civilian infrastructure, those actions by Russia are War Crimes.

Oh, excuse me: "Special Military Operation" CRIMES by Russia.

Investigation into Nordstream pipeline blasts is getting close to a (painful, no matter how you cut it) conclusion:

• "European leaders pointed to Russia as the only actor with the technical capability and motivation to damage the Nord Stream pipelines with underwater explosions."
  • "Explosions were intended as a threat, sending a message that their critical infrastructure could be vulnerable if they continued their support of Ukraine."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/11/18/nord-stream-sweden-explosives-sabotage/
Broader context of why Sweden is not rushing to publicly disclose all of its findings:

A very interesting article. Most of the conscripts have received no training before being sent to Ukraine. They had to buy their own warm clothes. They go foodless for days. And their families back in Russia are starting to make noise.

https://wapo.st/3Xxo7Iu

It sounds like things for the conscripts are as bad as we thought, maybe worse. I feel bad for anyone who has been unwillingly forced into the meat grinder.

But there are also the examples noted in the article of Russians who have been supportive of the war, and still repeat the pro-war government propaganda, but they didn’t expect to be there fighting it themselves, especially when they are old, or sick, and they have no training, equipment, food, water, or warm clothing.

And you can hear these family members back home getting the messages and videos of their loved ones on the front saying how bad it is, and they are at home struggling with the cognitive dissonance. There’s the one woman who is describing how bad it is and saying, “But it can’t be Putin’s fault because he’s a smart guy.” Jeez.

They have no idea how bad it’s going to get. The Russians are going to lose a quarter million dead before it’s done.

It sounds like things for the conscripts are as bad as we thought, maybe worse. I feel bad for anyone who has been unwillingly forced into the meat grinder.

But there are also the examples noted in the article of Russians who have been supportive of the war, and still repeat the pro-war government propaganda, but they didn’t expect to be there fighting it themselves, especially when they are old, or sick, and they have no training, equipment, food, water, or warm clothing.

And you can hear these family members back home getting the messages and videos of their loved ones on the front saying how bad it is, and they are at home struggling with the cognitive dissonance. There’s the one woman who is describing how bad it is and saying, “But it can’t be Putin’s fault because he’s a smart guy.” Jeez.

They have no idea how bad it’s going to get. The Russians are going to lose a quarter million dead before it’s done.
I wish I could find it again, from the Mrs telegram channel, they were talking of how little preparation some to most of the conscripts are receiving. A translation from one prisoner was that several in his garrison did not even know how to load a weapon, much less fire one.

Nikita Khrushchev once said that the Soviets lost almost a million men in the Winter war against Finland. I'm more than half Finn so I have been paying very close attention to this latest transgression by Russia! Slava Ukrayini

Nikita Khrushchev once said that the Soviets lost almost a million men in the Winter war against Finland. I'm more than half Finn so I have been paying very close attention to this latest transgression by Russia! Slava Ukrayini

One of my favorite quotes from the Finnish side of that war was "We are such a small country. Where will we find space to bury them all?"

Here is a distinct minority opinion which will undoubtedly be somewhat disagreeable. So be warned. As good Americans, we probably shouldn't know about it, so it's just here for the minority background record. No reply or comment necessary.

Very lengthy talk video with no action or graphics.

Here is a distinct minority opinion which will undoubtedly be somewhat disagreeable. So be warned. As good Americans, we probably shouldn't know about it, so it's just here for the minority background record. No reply or comment necessary.

Very lengthy talk video with no action or graphics.

TL;DW Look, I'm not going to waste 45 minutes watching anything so vaguely described. Could you at least post a summary, who this is, why you think it is relevant? A few simple declarative sentences would be sufficient

TL;DW Look, I'm not going to waste 45 minutes watching anything so vaguely described. Could you at least post a summary, who this is, why you think it is relevant? A few simple declarative sentences would be sufficient.
For about a decade he's been arguing the way to end conflict with Russia is to let them take Crimea and Donbas from Ukraine.

For about a decade he's been arguing the way to end conflict with Russia is to let them take Crimea and Donbas from Ukraine.
Figured it’d be something like that.

Appeasement works well when you need to buy time to strengthen yourself so you don’t get crushed right out of the gate. It does not work well for maintaining lasting peace or keeping fascist dictators in check.

Ukraine and its supporters were ready for the invasion and it shows, so no appeasement was or is needed. What’s needed now is a bit of time to rest, resupply, and plan the next assault on enemy-occupied territory.

Thanks! Glad I didn't waste any time with it.
Agreed.

It also sounded like the pitch for it was supposed to mean, “You guys will inevitably call BS on this for legitimate, well-supported reasons, but I’m asking you not to because I don’t want to accept the reality of the situation.”

Agreed.

It also sounded like the pitch for it was supposed to mean, “You guys will inevitably call BS on this for legitimate, well-supported reasons, but I’m asking you not to because I don’t want to accept the reality of the situation.”
Well, that's not quite right. I know BS would be called, and I would be left swinging in the wind, and shame on me. But I felt I needed to place that alternate view of reality on the record anyway. General Milley shares some of those same views, and he is current Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

I felt I needed to place that alternate view of reality on the record anyway. General Milley shares some of those same views, and he is current Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
You know, I think this is a grievous misrepresentation of Milley, to whit:
"
The mission of the group remains clear -- to support Ukraine as they counter the illegal and unprovoked Russian aggression and to continue to supply Ukraine with the capabilities necessary to defend their sovereignty.
"
"
They failed to achieve their strategic objectives and they are now failing to achieve their operational and tactical objectives.
"
"
The strategic reframing of their objectives, of their illegal invasion have all failed, every single one of them.
"
"
Their losses due to Ukrainian success and skill and bravery on the battlefield have been very, very significant. And it's clear that the Russian will to fight does not match the Ukrainian will to fight.
"
"
The deliberate targeting of the civilian power grid, causing excessive collateral damage and unnecessary suffering on the civilian population, is a war crime.
"
"
But at the end of the day, Ukraine will remain a free and independent country with its territory intact. Russia could end this war today. Russia could put an end to it right now, but they won't.
"
"
It's up to Ukraine to decide how and when or if they negotiate with the Russians, and we will continue to support them as long as it takes.
"
https://www.defense.gov/News/Transc...-iii-and-army-general-mark-a-milley-chairman/

You know, I think this is a grievous misrepresentation of Milley, to whit:
"
The mission of the group remains clear -- to support Ukraine as they counter the illegal and unprovoked Russian aggression and to continue to supply Ukraine with the capabilities necessary to defend their sovereignty.
"
"
They failed to achieve their strategic objectives and they are now failing to achieve their operational and tactical objectives.
"
"
The strategic reframing of their objectives, of their illegal invasion have all failed, every single one of them.
"
"
Their losses due to Ukrainian success and skill and bravery on the battlefield have been very, very significant. And it's clear that the Russian will to fight does not match the Ukrainian will to fight.
"
"
The deliberate targeting of the civilian power grid, causing excessive collateral damage and unnecessary suffering on the civilian population, is a war crime.
"
"
But at the end of the day, Ukraine will remain a free and independent country with its territory intact. Russia could end this war today. Russia could put an end to it right now, but they won't.
"
"
It's up to Ukraine to decide how and when or if they negotiate with the Russians, and we will continue to support them as long as it takes.
"
https://www.defense.gov/News/Transc...-iii-and-army-general-mark-a-milley-chairman/
In a leak to a major newspaper, Milley was quoted as saying something like Zelensky has accomplished all he can be reasonably expected to do, so it's time to negotiate. In other words, he sees Zelensky/Ukraine losing badly in the near future.

Milley represents the US military's position on the situation. But he is currently being outvoted by the State Department.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/11/politics/ukraine-mark-milley-negotiations-biden-administration-debate

Last edited:
In other words, he sees Zelensky/Ukraine losing badly in the near future.
I read the article you linked to, and it refers to Milley seeing the war dragging into the spring or beyond with no change in the front lines. In other words a stalemate. How do you conclude that he sees Ukraine losing badly in the near future?

I think Ukraine can and will win, and they won’t have to bargain away their territory and citizens for peace. And I also think if they did bargain away land and people, they still wouldn’t get any guarantee of peace, and Russia would be back in a few years for more.

Ukraine needs to focus on sending more corpses home to Russia and letting the backlash in Russia build. It’s going to take awhile, but I don’t think Russia can sustain this forever.

I read the article you linked to, and it refers to Milley seeing the war dragging into the spring or beyond with no change in the front lines. In other words a stalemate. How do you conclude that he sees Ukraine losing badly in the near future?
Normally, when you say a guy has done all he can on the battlefield and it's time to talk, that means that if you don't talk you then are likely to endure worse terms in the future.

I think Ukraine can and will win, and they won’t have to bargain away their territory and citizens for peace. And I also think if they did bargain away land and people, they still wouldn’t get any guarantee of peace, and Russia would be back in a few years for more.

Ukraine needs to focus on sending more corpses home to Russia and letting the backlash in Russia build. It’s going to take awhile, but I don’t think Russia can sustain this forever.
That is the opinion of the majority of the government, the media and the people. So no worries. But if it all goes south...

Normally, when you say a guy has done all he can on the battlefield and it's time to talk, that means that if you don't talk you then are likely to endure worse terms in the future.
Do you seriously forsee Russia regaining the upper hand with their third- and fourth-rate equipment and personnel?

Figured it’d be something like that.

Appeasement works well when you need to buy time to strengthen yourself so you don’t get crushed right out of the gate. It does not work well for maintaining lasting peace or keeping fascist dictators in check.

Ukraine and its supporters were ready for the invasion and it shows, so no appeasement was or is needed. What’s needed now is a bit of time to rest, resupply, and plan the next assault on enemy-occupied territory.
And the West's continued support!

Last edited:
Do you seriously forsee Russia regaining the upper hand with their third- and fourth-rate equipment and personnel?
Me? No! I'm not an expert on Russian equipment and personnel, nor ours. If they are as bad as said, they will lose or struggle to hold a defensive line, I presume.

But I do see alternate views, both domestic and foreign, of Russian capabilities and intentions which are fairly at odds with mainstream views. Which is why I presented Colonel Macgregor as an example. When you are in mortal combat and the other guy is still fighting, there's going to be some chance he lands a lucky blow.

I think Russia is going deeper into the hole every day. They are running out of everything and sending sick, untrained, unequipped, unfed, unarmed conscripts to the front to die. They have been losing ground for months. I don’t see why Ukraine would pick this moment to negotiate when they have the upper hand.

The Kerch bridge is still out, so that supply route to southern Ukraine is still severely compromised. If they can, Ukraine should press the attack before the bridge gets repaired. If they can take out the other routes through the Donbas to southern Ukraine, which are very vulnerable, and use their long-range rockets and artillery to take out the command centers and supplies in the rear positions, they can do what they did in western Kherson and starve out the Russians and force them to withdraw.

I think it’s possible that by the one-year anniversary, Ukraine could force the Russians back to the lines of control that existed at the start of the war. Let’s see how things look on February 24, 2023. I bet they’ll look a lot like February 24, 2022, minus 150,000 Russian lives, thousands of tanks and vehicles, hundreds of aircraft, dozens of ships and boats, most of their ammo, and all of their international status and prestige.

I think Russia is going deeper into the hole every day. They are running out of everything and sending sick, untrained, unequipped, unfed, unarmed conscripts to the front to die. They have been losing ground for months. I don’t see why Ukraine would pick this moment to negotiate when they have the upper hand.

The Kerch bridge is still out, so that supply route to southern Ukraine is still severely compromised. If they can, Ukraine should press the attack before the bridge gets repaired. If they can take out the other routes through the Donbas to southern Ukraine, which are very vulnerable, and use their long-range rockets and artillery to take out the command centers and supplies in the rear positions, they can do what they did in western Kherson and starve out the Russians and force them to withdraw.

I think it’s possible that by the one-year anniversary, Ukraine could force the Russians back to the lines of control that existed at the start of the war. Let’s see how things look on February 24, 2023. I bet they’ll look a lot like February 24, 2022, minus 150,000 Russian lives, thousands of tanks and vehicles, hundreds of aircraft, dozens of ships and boats, most of their ammo, and all of their international status and prestige.
While I think the 1-year mark is a little too optimistic, I do believe this is the most likely end result.

Of course, I’m not going to attach myself to any particular prediction, that’s going to depend on the situation at any given time.

Back