Those People that ALWAYS over-do the decorations

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabidsheeep

Reaction score
the best part of christmas for me is just walking around and seeing lights... theres a few people around here that are the "crazy nutjobs" that go wild... Wondering if we have anyone nuts in here :p theres gotta be somone

I would be one of those "crazy nutjobs"! I have over 5000 lights up plus 6 stockings on the garage door, 3 six foot christmas trees, lollipops, candy canes, garland, a bunch of signs on the lawn and a full nativity scen on the porch. Needless to say, cars do slow down as they pass.

...Fudd

Dude, where do you store it all in the off season? :D Seroiusly, my main gripe about Christmas lights is that they all worked last January when I put them away, but when I carefully unpack them from storage, half the strings only half light. I found a device that uses a piezo electric pulse to relight the strings until you can replace a couple dead bulbs, and it works about 3/4 of the time, but then I have to fall back on a sensor that supposedly beeps when it senses a dead bulb. Still an onerous task to go through a hundred of the little devils. In the end I sometimes just buy a new string of lights. :rolleyes:

Ever see Christmas Vacation? :D

We had two neighbors with over 10,000 lights a piece that were across from each other. For about 10 years they were dueling then decided to get the city to let them put up a HUGE archway that connects their two houses. Now as you drive under you can look up at animated flying reindeer and Santa.

Edward

Oh jeez. Too expensive to put up xmas lights anymore. Besides, we live in the boonies. :D

I really don't know if they are available here 'cause I haven't seen them advertised BUT!!

I get pretty much all Canadian TV on my antenna and Canadian Tire (I think) now has High Output LED Christmas Lights!

Is that cool or what!...no more burned out filiments!!
:D

I get pretty much all Canadian TV on my antenna and Canadian Tire (I think) now has High Output LED Christmas Lights!

I hate those Canadian Tire commercials. So fake. They do have LED lights tho

In the neighborhood where I used to live there was (might still be) a house that put out only one decoration for Christmas. A 8' tall green dollar sign made of multiple strands of chaser lights.

The reason this was funny is that the house was just a few doors (about a block and a half) away from the "Santa Luminare House" as we called it. A house on a double city lot that had, well, we lost count at around ninety, internally illuminated plastic figurines of Santa, reindeer, etc, in the front yard. Unfortunately the SLH was directly across the street from where I lived, and it was a pain in the neck to get to sleep at night since my bedroom window looked out on to a white fence.. directing reflected light from the luminares into my window. Not to mention the people that would drive by, stop, and count figures.. with their high-beams on, illuminating that same fence.

And my wife wonders why I'm a Grinch?

Harm none,

ResearchWorm

My neighbors at home are like that. Their damned lights are so crazy that my mother is having trouble sleeping. When I get home I will have to have a frank discussion with them. I hate to be a grinch but my mom needs her rest.

I don't much care if your display blinds CIA Spy Satellites.

Please, oh Please take it down before February....

My rule is, nothin up before dec. 1st. although I secretly suspect stores & such for pushing the day back slowly over the years.

Yes, Canadian Tire have a line of LED lights. Finally, low voltage, low heat, non breakable lights! And yes, teh two in the ads are annoying. (Although I did think the mum was hot when they first aired...) He's a dweeb, and she's, well, too nice..

Of course, we are seeing LED lights everywhere... Traffic lights, vehicle brake lights & indicators, signes, flashlights... (Although white light is / was ver hard to produce!!)

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
I don't much care if your display blinds CIA Spy Satellites.

Please, oh Please take it down before February....

Oh man, do I agree. There should be a special federal task force created. MP5s, grenade launchers, extreme prejudice sort of stuff. Anybody after 01/15 gets a warning. On 02/01 you are toast. Same if you display Halloween and Christmas decorations simultaneously. :D

I've had the misfortune of walking into a department store a couple of days before Halloween [Fred Meyers, an upscale K-Mart] (yep, I'm a Yank), and being confronted with this confusing situation:

- Christmas carols playing on the speakers.
- Paper turkeys hanging from the ceiling.
- Halloween costumes/candy for sale at one end of the aisle.
- Thanksgiving periphenalia in the middle.
- Christmas decorations at the other end.
- The icing on the cake was the Easter bunny mannequin parked next to the dairy case.

True, there were signs of things being packed/unpacked, but you really had to wonder for a moment.

Harm none,

ResearchWorm

As far as I can tell the hands down winner in the out-of-season decorations contest is you local Hallmark Cards store.

They have the ornament displays out in late August or early September.

Originally posted by rbeckey
...Same if you display Halloween and Christmas decorations simultaneously. :D

Whaddaya mean? That's the ghost of Christmas past in the window!! ;)

I store all the christmas crap up in the attic area of the garage. I have been pretty lucky with the light still working the next year. I must have over 10,000 total but put half that amount up.

Yes, I do take it all down before February. I actually have it all down and put back up in the garage by the first weekend in January. I like to take it down as soon as the new year gets here because I feel like an idiot with all of this christmas stuff still up after christmas.

...Fudd

Hey, I just put up my tree, and have the lights on the house (they are never on because the stupid dog keeps unplugging them), and the pumpkin still on the porch.

I used to have a reindeer on the front lawn, but my Labrador kept having an affair with it. I took it down after I started getting calls from the school across the street.

I also tried the inflatable 14' snowman, bad idea to have one around with a Labrador running loose in the yard. Again, another call from the school asking me to pick up the head that blew against the windows, traumatizing about 30 kindergarteners.

My mother-in-law sent us a homemade, 4', stuffed Santa and the UPS man left him on the front porch.

Again, another call from the school.

People come over and stare inquisitively at my tree. It is a 6' pine, fake, and is branchless for the first 4 1/2 feet.

We hang our stockings from the ceiling.

It's my WIFE'S DOG.

I always wanted to be one of the "nutjobs" with gobs of lights and decorations, but the stuff was always so expensive. But the cost of lights has gone down a lot in the past few years, and last year I got smart -- bought a ton of stuff at half-price or less during the post-Christmas sales.

So this year I've made a pretty good start at achieving mega-decoration status: Blue icicle lights on the eaves and over the upstairs windows; six sets of multi-color net lights across the front of the house just below the upstairs windows and two more sets of net lights in the upstairs windows; pattern-flashing lights around the garage door and along the top of the front fence; red-lighted candy canes and strings of red lights around my cactus garden on the left of the driveway; three more candy canes in the rock garden on the right side of the driveway plus some strings of multi-color lights and a small lighted Christmas tree design; more candy canes and lights on the left side of the front yard, and the small tree in front has red lights on the branches and green lights on the foliage, with flashing white stars across the front; on top of the fence is a triangular "tree" of green lights with a cross of red lights in the middle, and a white and blue star at the tip; below that is a lighted "Merry Christmas" sign; and another net light on the remainder of the fence; plus small lighted angels in each of the two side windows on the upstairs.

Whew! Think that covers it all. After Christmas this year I'll buy even more stuff to add to it next year.

The one thing I haven't been able to do yet is put lights on the eaves of the second floor. It's just too high to safely reach, even with my neighbor's big extension ladder. Someday maybe I'll hire someone to put some hooks up there for me, then I can just use a long pole to hang the lights on the hooks.

Speaking of Christmas, even when I'm not wearing my Santa hat (as I often do during December), little kids still occasionally think I'm Santa Claus.

I'm going to keep it simple this year. Just a small yard display with Hoppy the Christmas 'Roo.

"Hoppy the Christmas 'Roo,
Bringing joy to me and you.
Grab a Fostah's. Grab a few.
It's Christmas time downundah."

Ok, I am read all this stuff about all these great christmas light displays. Only one problem....... No one has posted any pics!!!!!!

My dad and I think my mom and the neighbor are having a contest. Mom's in the lead. The neighbor does not have his reindeer up yet. Last year, the neighbor put the sleigh and reindeer up. The problem: she put sleigh IN FRONT of the reindeer. The sleigh should have been BEHIND the reindeer.
Oh well. Mom has five christmas trees up in the house: one three foot one in my bedroom, one two foot one on top of the entertainment center, two six foot trees in the formal dinning room and one seven foot tree in the family room.
I think that the cat is getting into the holiday mood. I wrapped my gifts and put bows on them last Sunday. The cat took a bow off of one of the packages and decided that it was a toy.
Not to mention, my mother scares me. She has this santa hat that my dad and I call the "dork hat." This year, she decided to hang mistletoe from the ball of the hat. The problem: she wore it in public! *Searches for a paper bag*

On particularly blustery winter night, my wife & I were driving around, going somewhere, don't remember..

She stats howling as we aer stopped at a stop sign. Raising an eyebrow, I inquire to what is soo funny.

She point out teh window, and tehre, on a baklcony, is oneof those cloth 'blow up' snowmen. Those you get at Walmart, stand about 6 foot, and usually have a light inside...

Well, there it is, jsut beating it's head against teh house. Whack! Whack! Whack! The wind gusts managed to turn it around, so it was facing the house (bay window) and its counterweight were basically having a fight, and it got into a rockiung motion. So it looked like 'Frosty' was upset, fed up, and just banging his head against a brick wall!

Originally posted by MissileDaughter
My dad and I think my mom and the neighbor are having a contest. Mom's in the lead. The neighbor does not have his reindeer up yet. Last year, the neighbor put the sleigh and reindeer up. The problem: she put sleigh IN FRONT of the reindeer. The sleigh should have been BEHIND the reindeer.

Oh my. Let me guess, they're not originally Michiganders.

Or maybe they're Yoopers and think the sleigh is a snowmobile.

Heres the story with our neighbors-
They have over 1,000 lights all over there house, 15 6-foot Spiral Christmas trees, 7 light up reindeer on poles, 5 blow-up santas and frostie, and lights all in the windows. Were waiting for the fuse to blow....

Last Saturday I decorated a float for the local Christmas parade for the Boys & Girls Club with blue and white 900 lights. It's not a house, but I figured it could possibly apply. You could definately see it coming down the road. That's a lot of lights for a small town parade.

OK, let's say this...err...friend of mine is looking to join the "nutjob" crew. Let's also say this friend (chortle) also has a 16 foot perfectly shaped evergreen tree in the front yard. How would this "friend" actually get lights up to the top of the tree? Don't say a ladder cuz there's no way I, I mean my friend is going to lean a ladder up against it to get up there.

In our local "County Seat" of Sandusky, Michigan last week we had the ...get this...

Lighted Farm Implement Parade!

Back