Those Lines We Pick Up...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course Shakespeare has given us a TON of them... Here's just a few... (I didn't compile this list).

"Puking" ...
"Vanish into thin air" ...
"There's a method to my madness" ...
"Wild-goose chase" ...
"The green eyed-monster" ...
"Break the ice" ...
"Wear my heart upon my sleeve" ...
"Swagger"
"All of a sudden"
"A heart of gold"
"One fell swoop"
"Devil incarnate"
"Stuff that dreams are made on/of"
"To come full circle"
"In my heart of heart"
"Too much of a good thing"
"All that glitters is not gold"
"Good riddance"
"Send him packing"
"Love is blind"
"Knock knock! Who's there?"

Baldwin broke the cardinal rule of guns;When you handle one, the first thing you do is look in the chamber. It doesn't matter Who gave you a gun, Check!
I would probably crap my pants in that situation, when I saw the round, and knew I was going to hand it off to someone else to shoot.
This one guy I used to go shoot with, cleared a jam while I was firing, and put a hole in his gas tank.

I calmly told him "I shoot back at dumbasses! We don't shoot together now...

Last edited:
Baldwin broke the cardinal rule of guns;When you handle one, the first thing you do is look in the chamber. It doesn't matter Who gave you a gun, Check!
The way I learned it, the cardinal rule of guns is: Always treat every gun as if it's loaded, even if it's a "fake" gun.

Second rule is: Never point a gun at anything you're not willing to destroy.

Same as blank drills; An armorer issues blank ammo, And you check as it's loaded.
The movie company Needs a real armorer.
You never need real ammo in a drill or on a set; whoever brought it should be charged.

The way I learned it, the cardinal rule of guns is: Always treat every gun as if it's loaded, even if it's a "fake" gun.

Second rule is: Never point a gun at anything you're not willing to destroy.
I would give you 1000 thumbs up if I could.
My now 7 YO is learning gun safety. He knows that even toy guns you do NOT aim at another person, targets only. He is also being taught that there is no such thing as an empty gun. Every gun is loaded.
One other thing I am teaching is if you are at somebodies house and they bring out a gun, the very first thing you do is leave!

How does that get applied when filming a scene scripted to involve shooting another actor though?
You have a point, which Grog6 has given what I think is an excellent reply.

Cardinal rule still applies: Always treat it as if it's loaded, with the addition "until you've verified its safety."

Second rule, in a filming situation, not so much.

Grog, I think that, in addition to "never needing real ammo on a set" we should add "never need a real firearm on a set." There's plenty of realistic "safer" props out there that you shouldn't need something even remotely capable of being loaded with real ammo.

I've known several people who shot themselves or others, by breaking those simple rules.
(two police officers, who shot themselves, practicing a quickdraw, after being told not to by their commander, and using the trigger to pull their gun out of the holster, One guy that turned around while clearing a jam, and shot his buddy, (I almost had this happen to me.), a lady who, against advice, shot a .50 cal desert eagle and accidentally double fired it, with the second round going over her shoulder, and hitting a buddy in his body armor.
I have a rough time shooting buddys with paintballs, lol.

For the record, I certainly agree with the weapons safety rules in general. They were drilled into me enough for several years.

It's just an odd situation when dealing with filming. There shouldn't really be an expectation of the same knowledge of them by actors that may not know them or ever intend to handle weapons until the day one is involved in a scene. To John Kemker's point - the real question seems (IMO) to be A) why a functional firearm was provided, and B) why a live round was anywhere near the set. There's supposed to be a handler in the crew that checks the weapons and hands them to the actors directly, then retrieves them as soon as they're not needed. Something bizarre happened here.

Guys... I'm not immune to the tragedy that occurred on the set of "Rust". I'm very sorry to hear what happened to the victims, and I hope that things will be done to ensure that it can never happen again. But I have to question the location of this discussion. This is supposed to be a funny thread and/or one that shows how much shows have influenced our every day language choices.

Can we take the tangent discussion to a dedicated thread worthy of remembering the late Ms Hutchins and the wounded Joel Souza?

Last edited:
I was going to post something with Elmer Fudd and Daffy, but then I thought:
0020fd4dbef607814432e524daa2b72dd0a1494bac028e5756adfb18947571a0.jpg
Not from a movie, book or TV show, but a useful one!

Alright everone... Chill

According to Dragon Dronet (far left in the photo below), the guy who made Arnold's "Mr Freeze" costume, he used that line in Arnold's presence, and Arnold liked it so much that he used it in the movie (unscripted).

For fun, if you ever meet Dragon at a Con, tell him you know K'Tesh... :D

More on him... He *MADE* and *OWNS* the Sword of Kahless, thus making him the rightful heir to the Klingon Empire! He's Michael Dorn's Body Double in TNG, and DS9. He stood next to John Tesh (AKA Tesh'Ka (the ultimate source of the K'Tesh name)) in TNG's The Icarus Factor (season 2 finale), and jabbed Worf with a painstick. He's a martial artist who has appeared in several films, and worked and trained with Terry English.

Last edited:
Ted Cassidy/Lurch:
"You rang?"
and
"Uhhhhhhhhh"

Interesting video about the life of Ted Cassidy:
People only associate him with Lurch, but he was a gifted child, an athlete, a talented pianist, and did many voice overs and narrations on shows besides acting.

Sorry... sort of...

How does that get applied when filming a scene scripted to involve shooting another actor though?

He didn't shoot another actor. He shot a cinematographer. That makes me wonder why (or if, I guess we don't know if it was a ricochet?) he pointed a firearm at HER and pulled the trigger.

Sorry... sort of...

He didn't shoot another actor. He shot a cinematographer. That makes me wonder why (or if, I guess we don't know if it was a ricochet?) he pointed a firearm at HER and pulled the trigger.
Again...
This thread is *NOT* the place for a serious discussion about firearms safety in the entertainment industry. I have created a thread for that discussion (please follow the link if you wish to continue that discussion).

Last edited:
Sorry... sort of...

Because sometimes you film a scene where the actor aims directly at the camera, to look like the actor is aiming at the audience.

Oh, and umm….

Release the Kraken!

There's that language learning scene in the movie Outlander (with Jim Caviezel)... I really enjoyed the dropping of the F-bomb at the end of that. Similarly in The MARTIAN how they dropped the bomb in that film, and continued to allow us to know the "real language" while not actually dropping the bomb.

1635030977730.png

1635031052362.png

FWIW, Outlander is available for free on youtube at the moment.

Most of my friends play golf. We have all seen Caddyshack many many times. When we get together quotes from the film are spoken often.
The Cinderella boy
I'm hot today
Nahnahnahnah.....
$50 bucks he eats it
etc etc..
The other film that is full of quotable lines is Animal House.
You can't come in now I'm doing my hair.
What am I now, a zit. get it
Oh boy oh boy this is going to be great
Etc etc.

Back