Thor-Able

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loojack

Reaction score
I took the plunge a bought Peter Alway's book, Rockets of the World. If you don't have a copy, get one. It's well worth the price, it has many pictures and drawings. On page 222 I found the Thor-Able, which launched the ill fated Pioneer I probe, that was to go to the moon. I was looking for a project to develop and challenge my limited skills. This fit the bill, simple clean lines and fins! Using the VCP program I was able to produce a drawing and shroud patterns. I enlarged the fins to get more stability.
I reduced the plans to use the BT-60 tube and the top stage came out to be a BT-5 tube I had scrape body tubes, balsa, and some centering rings on hand, so that's what I used. I've taken some pictures. Pretty simple design, I haven't painted it yet because Wifey says the paint stinks!! Gee... It's 4 below zero outside! ....loojack

Yet another. I forgot, it's about 18" tall and powered by a single 18mm motor.

loojack,

That's a beautiful rocket--I can't wait to see it painted and flying!

Any experiences with the paper shroud you could pass on? Any big gotchas?

MetMan

Thanks, Metman, I used 3 shrouds, a long and short on the long nose cone and another for the motor bell. Shrouds aren't hard at all. I print then on my Hp deskjet printer using 110Lb card stock from Georga-Pacific I got at Wallyworld, 150 sheets for about $6. The best way is to download Fliskits Midnight express directions. They explain how to roll tubes and nose cones. I was always scared of shrouds, because I screwed them up. Now if I screw one up, I just print another. Just practice a little they're fun! ...loojack

This is yet another ambitious and great looking project! Very nice work on the transitions loojack. I too fear the paper usage on kits. I need to get over it! :)

Very nice shroud work!! I have always like this rocked myself. Have you simmed it? How stable is the design?

Loojack:
As a Scale lover from way back....Very Very nice! Great job.
What Scale is you model based on? great job, can't wait to see the finished product.

Very, very nice!! Please post launch pics when you get to that stage!

Loojack....in those images it looks like you have plans on a sheet for this rocket. Is it possible for you to send them to me. I am interested in building this rocket...yours looks amazing.

I think I saw a rocket like this in the Rocket Garden at KSC back in November, I think it was a Delta-Thor, but it looks a lot like this one.

loojack,

That looks GREAT!

I always had an affection for the Thor family of rockets.

sandman

Back