This stinks

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now...moral question...should I have notified my insurance company and if so what would I tell them?

My car healed itself???:confused:

The insurance paid you to get the door fixed.

You got the door fixed.

You were allowed to choose whomever you wanted to fix the door.

God doesn't take checks.

Where's the dilemma?

Now...moral question...should I have notified my insurance company and if so what would I tell them?

My car healed itself???:confused:

No. The deer repented of its sins.

:D

Hey, we used to sacrifice a goat for that. Now its just a door. :D:D

Glad to know that things are working out. A friend of mine who was a WW2 vet drove a green MG to work when the weather was nice--until it was stolen.

I haven't bought a new car since 1984. An S-10 that I drove until it blew the tranny and head gaskets. Then drove it some more then sold it to my little brother for about $1000. Every used car I've owned has eventually had either blown intake manifold/head gasket or transmission trouble. In retrospect, it was likely that I was scammed on having the transmission overhauled. So, if ever you have the transmission oil & filter changed, and they claim to have found a piece of a planetary gear, just say you're driving it anyway. You'll drive it until it truly blows up, which may be a long time.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
That is great news Bob! :)

Reminds me of an Insurance Company's 'little' oversight..LOL..I was involved in a single car wreck-stupidity on my fault, wont go into it unless you REALLY want to know..Anyways, the front end of my 1997 Z-28 was mangled..Took it to the repair shop to get fixed..Now, a week or so before this happened I had gone online and had made changes to my policy..Took off the rental reimbursement and upped my deductible to $1k(had been at $500)..Well, called the insurance company to file the claim, they said 'go here' to get your rental for $20/day..Okay..Got to the rental company, they didn't have any of those 'class' vehicles..So, they rented a full sized Chevy Silverado crew cab pickup for the $20/day(the truck normally rents for like $59.95/day!:eek:) So far I am going thru this smelling like a rose..But wait, it gets better! Insurance company insists that I still have a $500 deductible when I go to pay for the repairs..Okay..:D..BUT, the icing on the cake or cherry on top, was about a month later I got a REFUND check from the insurance company to the tune of $550 for the changes that I had made to my policy which resulted in my premium going down that much!...But, then when it came time for renewal they dropped me because of the wreck..But that was fine with me, went to another company that saved me like $300 a year anyway..Not bad, do $5500 in damage to your vehicle, pay the $500 'deductible' and then get a $550 check later, kinda like when it happens that way!

In retrospect, it was likely that I was scammed on having the transmission overhauled. So, if ever you have the transmission oil & filter changed, and they claim to have found a piece of a planetary gear, just say you're driving it anyway.

Thats probably why your tranny went in the first place I have had many people through the years my old mechanic included tell me never ever ever change the transmission fluid your asking for it to go by doing that.So I have never changecd tranny fluid on any car I have ever had will add it when its low and have never had any problems with a transmission.The reasoning was that when you drain/refill even though your changing the filter your sturring up metal shavings that have been laying down in the pan not bothering anything.I have lived by that and its always worked for me.

Update time.

Rented a car to go to NARCON. Came home, and my wife had a big smile on her face.

The first words out of her mouth were:

THEY FOUND THE CAR!!!

The only damage is a popped ignition. That I can fix.

I go get it tomorrow. 300 bucks for the tow and storage, but its cool. At least I get it back.

Thats probably why your tranny went in the first place I have had many people through the years my old mechanic included tell me never ever ever change the transmission fluid your asking for it to go by doing that.So I have never changecd tranny fluid on any car I have ever had will add it when its low and have never had any problems with a transmission.The reasoning was that when you drain/refill even though your changing the filter your sturring up metal shavings that have been laying down in the pan not bothering anything.I have lived by that and its always worked for me.

Whatever, maybe you just got good mojo, but I wouldn't count on it. Maybe if a transmission is already on the way out your theory would hold water, because sometimes it's just the oil holding it together (my Dad's Honda Oddity van comes to mind!)

The main thing is, ALWAYS change the filter and wash the pan out with solvent/brake cleaner when changing the transmission fluid. 99% of transmission problems are caused either directly or indirectly as a result of heat. When I was in mechanic's school, we saw a chart showing some tests they did on a dyno correlating transmission life to temperature, which forms an inverse proportion graph. At an oil temperature of 275 degrees the transmission had only an average life expectancy of less than 200 miles. At 125 degrees the transmission life was in excess of 150,000 miles. At 175 degree oil temp the transmission life was like 75,000 miles, and at 200 degrees it was like 25,000 miles. SO, anything you can do to lower transmission oil temperatures will DIRECTLY lead to longer transmission life. Clean oil helps lower temperatures by reducing friction. Clean filters and pans help improve oil flow and lower resistance, and increase heat dissipation, which helps. The best thing you can do to increase transmission life is to install a secondary oil cooler in front of your radiator. They're easy to install and readily available at Auto Parts stores.

Don't believe everything you read in the owner's manuals, either, about transmission oil change intervals. Most newer cars and trucks use synthetic ATF now, many of them 'proprietary' formulas that don't interchange or only interchange with certain brands/makes. MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE THAT ANY SHOP THAT SERVICES YOUR TRANSMISSION, OR IF YOU ADD TRANSMISSION FLUID TO YOUR CAR, THAT YOU USE EXACTLY THE SAME TYPE OIL SPECIFIED ON THE DIPSTICK!!! I've even seen owner's manuals incorrectly state what type oil to use, so be SURE you check the specified oil stamped or printed on the dipstick to make double sure. Putting the wrong oil (Mercon or Dexron II in a newer vehicle that calls for say, Mercon V (which is synthetic) WILL cause transmission slippage and burn up your transmission! And yes I've seen transmission shops screw up and put the wrong oil in!

The sythetic ATF's are good, but while most manufacturer's recommend the car only have the transmission fluid changed at 100,000 miles or thereabout, I wouldn't advise it. Yes the oil is expensive, especially compared to the old 'regular' ATF's like Dexron II, but changing the oil/filter is the ONLY way to get contaminants out of the system. I would recommend for pickups and SUV's, especially if they do ANY towing, to change the oil/filter at 33,000 miles to 50,000 miles AT LEAST. For cars/minivans, or light trucks/SUV's doing NO towing, I'd recommend changing oil at 50,000 miles AT A MINIMUM.

Transmissions ain't cheap no more, and it's cheap insurance. Good luck! OL JR :)

PS. Never fall for the old 'found a gear in your oilpan' crap... if you have gear parts in your oilpan, you might as well run it awhile longer-- the damage is done, while you start saving your pennies for a transmission rebuild... LOL:)

Got the car today.

Trust me when I say this, its been sitting for the entire month. It was covered in dust, and the odometer only had an extra 50 miles on it.

The ignition is popped. Expected that. The right front bumper and fender have a paint transfer on them. Looks like the swiped something going backwards. The Plexiglas cover over the lights on the trunk is broken, like they backed into something.

All I care about is the ignition. The rest I could care less. The beat on her though. She's running real rough. I'm going to do a tune up and full fluid changes this weekend, just to be sure. She was due for an oil change anyways. I'll throw some premium gas in as well.

She's like a prize fighter. She's gotten her butt kicked, but she's still standing.

This makes me very happy.

Bob

Hope they at least put gas in it for you.

Still had 3/4 of a tank in it. They only went about 50 miles. But they were hard miles. She's running rough, but a tune up that I'll do this weekend, that should be fine.

Congratulations!!! Just curious, though; where exactly did they find it?

Congratulations!!! Just curious, though; where exactly did they find it?

All they said was they found it in Bridgeport. I have to get the recovery report for the insurance company. It will probably be on there.

Thanks Lyle, they will.

Although starting the car with a screwdriver brings back memories of some old beater cars I had years ago. 1973 Nova. I loved that car. It was the first car I ever got... umm, never mind.... family friendly forum and all.

Back