This seems like mid power yes?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shes juuuuust under 3 feet as you can see. It was to start with a cluster of 3 E 12-4 engines

BUT.........i decided first flight well go with just one to see her flight characteristics lol

Remember, you are not just matching thrust to weight, you need a margin of thrust over the total weight of the rocket including the engine weight. You need to be sure you will have adequate velocity at the end of the rod, especially if your fins are small.
But it looks like a cool project.
That is the total weight with engines. The weight that was listed is the weight its launching at

So you think these are to small too?View attachment 467607
Hey, yours is a great scale model, even more so since it is scratch built. The difference between a static scale model and a FLYING model is that the latter needs to have the aerodynamic stability to achieve a straight flight, needs to be built light enough to get up to speed on available motors, needs to be tough enough to handle flight AND landing stress, and needs room for recovery gear. The REAL Astronaut series rockets had gimballed motors, stability was achieved with thrust vectoring, so minimal use of fins needed. NOT so with model rockets, which is why companies that sell scale models include things like this

https://estesrockets.com/product/071060-saturn-v-clear-fin-unit/
Your model shows a lot of pride, craftsmanship, and clearly a lot of time and effort. Having built a number of rockets in which I put a lot of effort into making them "shelf-worthy" and then watching the first flight turn them into "Do I patch it up or chuck it?" Piles of debris, I hate to see others go through it.

Read my signature block. @lakeroadster has a practical tip. I am already telling you the model fails mindsim (experienced rocketeer looks at it and shakes his or her head.) If it fails a swing test too, at best you are gonna get a land shark with minimal damage if you launch it with 1, 2, or 3 motors. Remember, clustering gives you more power (when all motors light) which is good. But clustering also adds tail weight (whether the all light or not) which can be bad (usually requires nose weight, which partially offsets the extra power you added. It's one of the reasons @Daddyisabar 's Magic often involves forward or mid placed "tractor" motors.)

Another option is a display stand that doubles as a ring fin.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/hiding-your-fins-in-plain-sight-240-calories-of-fun.47954/
It's your rocket, and whatever you decide I hope it is a fun, safe, and reasonably (although not excessively ;) ) thrilling flight!

Best wishes!

This one is over 43 inches, the one you posted looks like the 24 incher.
Tell you this though crash and burn or soar to the moon either way its gonna be fun! Lol

My bad. You say it passed swing test. Again, wish you many great flights!
Thats most likley why its 300 and some odd grams because the counter weight. But its not just a lump of clay in the nose its distributed "evenly" (lol) through the rocket from a little before midway to the top with inner exaust tube and recovery system and a few fire walls to keep the inner exaust tube straight and make everything tight as to not rattle around in flight. But like i said to the other gentleman, crash and burn or soar to the moon either way its going to be fun!!! Lol

Hey, yours is a great scale model, even more so since it is scratch built. The difference between a static scale model and a FLYING model is that the latter needs to have the aerodynamic stability to achieve a straight flight, needs to be built light enough to get up to speed on available motors, needs to be tough enough to handle flight AND landing stress, and needs room for recovery gear. The REAL Astronaut series rockets had gimballed motors, stability was achieved with thrust vectoring, so minimal use of fins needed. NOT so with model rockets, which is why companies that sell scale models include things like this

https://estesrockets.com/product/071060-saturn-v-clear-fin-unit/
Your model shows a lot of pride, craftsmanship, and clearly a lot of time and effort. Having built a number of rockets in which I put a lot of effort into making them "shelf-worthy" and then watching the first flight turn them into "Do I patch it up or chuck it?" Piles of debris, I hate to see others go through it.

Read my signature block. @lakeroadster has a practical tip. I am already telling you the model fails mindsim (experienced rocketeer looks at it and shakes his or her head.) If it fails a swing test too, at best you are gonna get a land shark with minimal damage if you launch it with 1, 2, or 3 motors. Remember, clustering gives you more power (when all motors light) which is good. But clustering also adds tail weight (whether the all light or not) which can be bad (usually requires nose weight, which partially offsets the extra power you added. It's one of the reasons @Daddyisabar 's Magic often involves forward or mid placed "tractor" motors.)

Another option is a display stand that doubles as a ring fin.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/hiding-your-fins-in-plain-sight-240-calories-of-fun.47954/
It's your rocket, and whatever you decide I hope it is a fun, safe, and reasonably (although not excessively ;) ) thrilling flight!

Best wishes!
Ah yes the 1/200. Its 21.8 inches long. Mine is approx 36 and the one i posted is 43. Dont get me wrong i get what your saying sir but you know boys will be boys! I gotta try! Lol

Uh huh, if i did some reasearch? HA HA HA! Well how do you think i found what i posted silly? And yes i see the clear fins on that TINY little rocket albeit you must know the one i posted is entirely different and much bigger right? Not mine, but the store made one.

36 stories high.. or 1 foot high.. stability doesn't care and the calculations are the same.

crash and burn or soar to the moon either way its gonna be fun! Lol

Nice build for a scratch and of components found around the house. I give you credit on that!

But, you can't scale something up or down, and expect it to work the same (its not a linear thing). You will need to make some compromises.

And, the attitude you give [quoted] doesn't instill any confidence.. It shouldn't be a guess.

Latest posts

Back