This Old T.I.E. Fighter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Note that the holes face forward. The model is well designed, so that you have to assemble it this way.

m_IMG_3816small.jpg

OK, now it gets interesting. Again, I only have the plastic TIE Fighter body; I must fabricate/purchase parts for the rocket body.

See the picture below. Items O are balsa parts. I have plenty of spare balsa, since one of my interests is building R/C airplanes. But the concern is Item H.

Item H is a plastic part, that glues to Item O. It also has a place for a screw, and guides that fit against the Solar Panel.

When the model is in "Rocket Mode", screws go through each Solar Panel, and into each Item H. This is how the rocket tube remains attached to the TIE Fighter body during flight.

m_IMG_3826small.jpg

I intend to use some 3/8 inch diameter wooden dowels for the screws to screw into. Due to the way the model is aerodynamically designed, I don't think the dowels will be a problem.

Here are the dowels, showing their location. (Not glued yet.)

m_IMG_3820small.jpg

Cutting the 3/8" dowels was a bit of work. Used a razor saw and a sanding block to get the shapes I wanted.

Also put some sandpaper (stick-on) on a spare rocket tube, to get a curved surface on the dowel.

m_IMG_3821small.jpg

I used a little thin CA glue to attach the dowels to the tube. I then used 1/8" balsawood to make the Supports. The Supports were glued in place with 15 minute epoxy.

m_IMG_3827small.jpg

I must confess to a lot of 'that's about right' aligning here. I used the structure of the Solar Panels and the rocket tube as guides.

If my TIE spins, I will just say I am recreating the movie. ;)

I have been careful to not glue the TIE to the rocket tube.

m_IMG_3828small.jpg

No doubt the folks at Sienar Fleet Systems would approve of your MacGyver modifications. The Galactic Empire wants some test flights however before placing any orders.

Interesting addition to strengthen it. I remember a couple wonky flights with this kit as a kid.

No doubt the folks at Sienar Fleet Systems would approve of your MacGyver modifications. The Galactic Empire wants some test flights however before placing any orders.

Yeah, but if there is a chance to get Imperial credits, then Sienar will probably steal my design mods......:mad:

I was admiring my thread here, and the witty responses, when my brain exploded. :confused::eek:o_O

Looking at the picture in Post #38, there seemed to be a whole side of a Solar Panel that I did not glue.

(Man, I can kiss that Sienar contract good-bye...…:oops:)

m_IMG_3828 B_LIsmall.jpg

Well, let's screw around a little bit...:p

A couple of screws keep the TIE Fighter attached to the rocket tube. I am using some hex head screws, which are widely used in the RC community.

The good thing about hex head screws is that, unlike phillips or flathead screws, they require less force to screw in. Easier to work with.

m_IMG_3832small.jpg

Screw in the dowel. Since this is a hardwood dowel, the drilled hole is almost the size of the screw threads.

m_IMG_3835small.jpg

m_IMG_3836small.jpg

The shape of the TIE Fighter fuselage requires a launch lug offset. Trying to make it like the instructions.

m_IMG_3839small.jpg

m_IMG_3840small.jpg

The instructions I found for the TIE Fighter have a lot of good information...….but the instructions also lack critical information.

Most importantly, there is no value for the Center of Gravity [CG].

The instructions do show adding weight to the nose, but it does not say how much. It says add two 'weights', listed as: NCW-1A [#38280]. I believe these weights were lead washers.

So, my plan is to put a motor in the rocket, along with an estimate of needed nose weight, and do the old "string test": find where the rocket balances, and spin it around to see if it is stable.

Another observation is that the ONLY motor recommended for this model is a C6-3. Which means the model will be heavy for its size.

Any comments or criticisms of this course of action are welcome.

Gentlemen, we had a successful string test. It is 35 degrees F, and I was out on the back driveway sling'n my TIE Fighter. Had a couple of steel washers in the nose, and a C6-3 in the motor mount.

m_IMG_3842small.jpg

The CG was roughly 4-7/8 inches from the back of the motor. (Note: The camera angle might make the value look different.) I will get other weight info later.

There is some warmer weather coming to northeast Arkansas later this week, so I hope to get some painting done.

m_IMG_3843small.jpg

I thought I would have to add nose weight. But I think I am using a slightly longer tube, and definitely a longer nose cone.

Which brings us to another task to overcome.

See the pic below. As stated many times, I don't have the plastic "Post". The Post has guides that fit up against the "Wing" [Solar Panel]. These guides help reduce vibration in flight.

m_IMG_3844small.jpg

So, I had some 1/64 inch plywood left over from my 1/3 scale Nieuport 28 build, and used it to attach guides to the fins on the rocket.

m_IMG_3847small.jpg

m_IMG_3848small.jpg

Back