This Old T.I.E. Fighter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crawf56

Pig Soooiiieee!!
Reaction score
I built one of these Estes TIE Fighter rockets back in 1980, just after "The Empire Strikes Back" came out.

So, let's do it again!

m_IMG_3776small.jpg

Well, I don't have the kit. I have the TIE fighter itself, that I got on ebay for $15 (free shipping).

So, step 1 was searching the internet for the original instructions. Which I found (pdf). Estes kit #1299.

Note that the picture above is from a computer screen.

Nice retro build!

The fact that Estes is older than and at one point tried to capitalize on "this new Star Wars thing" brings my 20something brain no end of amusement.

This project is not an exercise in perfection. :rolleyes:

But I like to get things 'sort-of' right. Got some black paint on the wrong place. (Where my finger is pointing.) So, got out some 400 grit sandpaper.

m_IMG_3790small.jpg

m_IMG_3791small.jpg

The Outer Hubs needed some trimming to match up with the Solar Panels.

NOTE: The instructions refer to the Solar Panels as "Wings". Rebel scum...…:mad:

m_IMG_3795small.jpg

The Fuselage appears to be a blow molded component, and the engine (aft) opening is thinner material. Cracked a bit, but added some epoxy for support.

Note that this opening was cut with the xacto knife, but has not been filed yet.

m_IMG_3801small.jpg

Adding a few weights/washers to the BT-50 nose cone. By sheer dumb luck, I ordered two piece nose cones. The kit called for nose weights.

m_IMG_3807small.jpg

The tube with Motor Mount sticks out the back of the Fuselage. This took a LOT of CAREFUL sanding/filing on the rear opening.

m_IMG_3808small.jpg

And the fit on the front of the Fuselage. This had thicker material, and was easier to work with.

m_IMG_3809small.jpg

Back