This may weathercock... just slightly [ASP Rocketry Tall Boy Kit]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually it will....a lot! A Mean Machine's Stability is in the neighborhood of 12-13 iirc and they weathercock lots too. Use a hard hitting motor to get them off the pad as quickly as possible.

I have a tall boy im building now and multiple mean machines. I've always enjoyed the mean machine flights and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about the tall boy.
Will post videos when I get it in the air, maybe next club launch.

Indeed, this kit normally has you use a regular 3/16” rod. This seemed slightly crazy to me, so I have installed both lugs and 1010 rail buttons on my Tall Boy.

Getting the buttons installed together with the engine mount was a real PITA, but it should be worth it.

My Tall Boy is getting finishing paint and I’ll be launching at my next club meet later this month. Should turn some heads.

I’ll be trying an E30-4 for the first flight.

Follow up, this flew excellently. The light weight made it jump off the pad and it deployed a little after apogee, came down great on both parts. Was very happy with it.

I'm going to add an extra rail button toward the top, as the thing pulls always from the rail toward the end and gets pushed about by any wind.

How far up were u thinking for the 3rd button?

Mine is primed just waiting for time to paint. Went w lugs and buttons for laumch gear. Im really excited to fly. It looks preposterous in full form.

So I have done this, and I put it on one of the middle segments. It will then work for any of the combinations that use the bottom segment and a middle segment; that is, the 3 part or 4 part configuration.

Assuming it was straight when you launched it, what you're seeing is a demonstration of Eulers buckling load in action. The nosecone is the largest frontal area and as the speed increases the load on it increases. The motor pushes on one end of the thin rod and the wind load on the nosecone on the other.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler's_critical_load
Easiest demonstrated with a straw. If you have it vertical and add load it supports the load until it collapses. It bends first but when long thin things are loaded from the end dynamically the collapse happens real quick. Add the frontal load to a long rocket and a small gust of wind from the side and Ta Ta .

Great photo, though you probably don't want to kick it much harder with the motor choice.

The maximum buckling load is right in the middle. If you can join the middle sections together permanently, you won't have a slip fit join in the worst possible place.

Back