This Just Caught My Eye on the Apogee Website

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like both Wildman and Apogee and support them both. Generally, I buy kits from Wildman once a year, at the annual Black Wednesday (for Wildman Club members) and Black Saturday (for anyone) at Thanksgiving. The sale prices are worth the waIt.

They are known for having premium prices, and some would say premium service. Many are glad to pay that mark up for the "free" instructional videos and the guaranteed inventory.
I understand having a bit of a markup, or not putting things on sale, but some of the Apogee prices are insane. The most egregious price gouging that I've seen from them is the 29mm econojet F motors. They sell them for $62.30 for a 2 pack, when the MSRP is $39.99. That's a 55.7% markup over MSRP on motors that are commonly available under MSRP.
Apogee F20-4
Aerotech F20-4

Last edited:
I understand having a bit of a markup, or not putting things on sale, but some of the Apogee prices are insane. The most egregious price gouging that I've seen from them is the 29mm econojet F motors. They sell them for $62.30 for a 2 pack, when the MSRP is $39.99. That's a 55.7% markup over MSRP on motors that are commonly available under MSRP.
Apogee F20-4
Aerotech F20-4
Yeah, I appreciate what they do for the hobby, and all the cool products they have that nobody else seems to have, but then you decide you want to support them by buying other stuff from them, and it's a giant, "F-you, now you pay..."

Not really into that.

https://www.erockets.biz/aerotech-2...4-required-to-pay-for-parcel-select-shipping/
https://www.hobbylinc.com/aerotech-...motor-2-f-composite-model-rocket-engine-62004
https://www.siriusrocketry.biz/ishop/aerotech-f20-4w-econojet-single-use-motor-2-pack-239.html

I believe that it's pretty clear at this point that Apogee caters to someone who is willing to pay a premium to guarantee inventory or who doesn't really care about the price in the first place. In other words, their prices are sufficiently elevated to weed out the casual customer on a budget......and it's apparently been working well enough that they've outlasted quite a few other retailers with notably lower prices.

We all vote with our wallets. I just think that a sufficient number of Apogee's clients out vote those of us who chose to spend less $$ on the same or similar items from other vendors that it's still quite profitable for Apogee (or they would have been consigned to the dustbin of retail history long ago).

As long as you know pricing, Apogee is fine to deal with. When something gets marked up too much for whatever reason, don't buy it.

I use them for chutes, Zephyr's ($99!), motors sometimes, small fin guides, and all kinds of hardware. Plenty of their stuff is fairly priced.

Ouch, $217 from Apogee!?!?

$178 from Wildman. Don't forget to add the cost of the fiberglass nose cone. Not a big deal. We know our pricing.

Does the Apogee version have any other differences, besides the fiberglass cone?

$178 from Wildman. Don't forget to add the cost of the fiberglass nose cone. Not a big deal. We know our pricing.

Does the Apogee version have any other differences, besides the fiberglass cone?
As far as I can tell it's exactly the same, although the description does say that the rail buttons are inadequate and has a link to a set of Apogee rail buttons.

Apogee F20-4
Aerotech F20-4
Isn't there a $37 Hazmat shipping fee?

Isn't there a $37 Hazmat shipping fee?
The Aerotech Econojet F motors are sized so that they don't require the Hazmat fee. Apogee does not add the hazmat fee into the pricing on any of their motors, its assessed as part of shipping, just like any other vendor.

Back