Thinnest possible coat of white paint (hobbyist-type paint)?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prfesser

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The question is with an eye to LPR/MPR and scale models.

What varieties of rattlecan white (and black) paint give the thinnest possible layer when dry, yet are opaque enough to cover colors?

Surely there are hobbyist-type paints that are intended not to blur details excessively. That's the kind of paint I'm looking for. Some variety of Rustoleum or Krylon might be okay but I'd rather go with a hobbyist paint that's specifically designed for this. My experience with (some) big-box-store paints is that it takes more than a few layers for adequate coverage. Probably my poor technique.... anyway, after putting in all the time and effort in building and in finishing, I'd rather pay twice as much for a specialty paint that will definitely do the job.

Looking to paint some of the parts on the Saturn V/Skylab and others, before I assemble them.

Suggestions? Many Thanks!
Terry

I have had the best luck with DupliColor paints. They go on thinner since they're lacquer based and cover the best assuming a good primer. They are lacquer based and so the propellant is a harsh solvent and *may* attack some plastics like styrene. Available at some automotive stores in automotive shades but gloss white should be one of those shades.

My experience is somewhat limited, but I agree, the rattle cans from big-box stores are pretty bad when it comes to coverage.

I've been doing some research into Montana spray cans, such as their Gold and Black line, and based on my online research, they offer MUCH better (i.e. more opaque for a given a mount of paint) coverage than Rustoleum 2X and similar products.

It's been a while since I've been into plastic models, but I had pretty good experiences with Testors Model Masters and Tamiya hobby-line spray paints.

Last edited:
Alot of scale modelers love Tamiya. For me, I've had good luck with the Duplicolor line of paints. They have a line of heat-resistant paints that give great coverage. I bought a couple of them because it was the color I needed, and I really like the way they cover-a thin coat followed by a heavier coat. The final coat lays down nice and smooth.

Yes, I also use Createx Opaque paints, not Wicked which are transparent, for first covering coat. Of course this is over an acrylic-urethane primer. that does the initial coverage.

watch this guy airbrush paints on the back of spoons to see how thin you can get. I watched one and have subscribed to his channel:

Tamiya spray lacquer gets my vote. When I'm doing white rockets (over a grey primer), it usually takes 4-5 coats of paint before I'm satisfied. But I'm picky and want to do the best job I can too. :)

I looked into the Montana black paints, and they dried with a rough texture. Suitable for grafitti, but not rockets. I've heard some people say that the Gold line is smoother, but haven't tried it.

Back