Thinking Of Creating An Archive Website... But I Need Help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
JimZ's is great, but it's not being updated. Then there's plans.rocketshoppe? Apparently it has the same problem. Ninfinger? I need plans

Estes' Site has an archive, but it's only Estes kits, it lacks decals and fin scans, and doesn't archive variants. Quest? Same...

Then we have rocketplans.org, which has links to several sources, but isn't an archive itself.

What I'd like to do is gather a group of people together to create the Ultimate Rocketry Archive Website/Wiki (URAWW?)(insert maniacal laugh here).

We'd accept all vendors, we'd have have high quality scans of instructions (if not the original .pdf files from the manufacturers), flat parts (fins, decals, facecards, hangtags, etc.) would be all be scanned with rulers (and critical notes (width, etc.). Maybe even photos of unbagging. Critically, it'd archive variants. All this in an easy to search/navigate format.

Why a group? It prevents the problems that occur with an individual's burnout, life's interruptions, money woes, and death. It would also increase the base for the information acquisition and thus be more complete than the others.

Problem is... I haven't run a website (K'Tesh's Klingon Recipe Pages) since Geocities went down. My site featured a menu driven list of recipes with critical notes, and could serve as a model for this archive.

an archive is a good idea. To me, it just seems like it could be hosted here if TRF had the file section. What a great place to consolidate data, tech docs, and plans. In my view, having yet another place to go is a down side. I just don't have time to do more than my own email, the business, TRF and Facebook. When I really need something, I do search for it, but that can be time consuming also.

It would also be a draw to get more people to come here...

Not sure that TRFs organization system is all that great from what I have seen of things like the galleries and stuff. Ye Olde Rocketshoppe is so much better IMO.

One feature that would be cool to have on a page for an OOP rocket: click here to order parts to clone this rocket, body tube, engine mount, fin sheet, nose cone, decals, etc, and your Cart is full of the parts ready to order, from your favorite vendor...or sponsor...

Not sure that TRFs organization system is all that great from what I have seen of things like the galleries and stuff. Ye Olde Rocketshoppe is so much better IMO.
There is a file repository feature that is available for zenforum software. I have already suggested that as it would give us a way to maintain files like the device template doc that I created. Without adding more functionality, you are correct, TRF would not be the right place.

There is a file repository feature that is available for zenforum software. I have already suggested that as it would give us a way to maintain files like the device template doc that I created. Without adding more functionality, you are correct, TRF would not be the right place.
Was not aware of the addon software. My other concern has been TRFs terms of service.

Was not aware of the addon software. My other concern has been TRFs terms of service.
it is a one time $60 add on Xenforo calls a resource manager, then the maintenance goes up $15 a year to cover the add-on.
As for TRF's terms of service, I will have to read through it. Thanks!

Not to be Debbie Downer, because I love the concept, but a question I've had about all of the mentioned repositories is Copyright, and specifically, how the manufacturers feel about having scans (or even the PDFs that they created) being hosted elsewhere?

Or is the repository to be limited to only OOP rockets? Even then, the original manufacturer/creator still holds the copyright, and, depending on their attitude, can choose to make life miserable for those trying to preserve the history (see Nintendo's treatment of the MAME community).

Again, I love the concept, I just would hate to see legal problems (and, of course, I am Not a Lawyer).

P.S. I need to find someone that does custom laser cutting of plywood for my OOP Partizon kits.

Do you need a place to host it? I am willing to give some space.

Not to be Debbie Downer, because I love the concept, but a question I've had about all of the mentioned repositories is Copyright, and specifically, how the manufacturers feel about having scans (or even the PDFs that they created) being hosted elsewhere?

Or is the repository to be limited to only OOP rockets? Even then, the original manufacturer/creator still holds the copyright, and, depending on their attitude, can choose to make life miserable for those trying to preserve the history (see Nintendo's treatment of the MAME community).

Again, I love the concept, I just would hate to see legal problems (and, of course, I am Not a Lawyer).

P.S. I need to find someone that does custom laser cutting of plywood for my OOP Partizon kits.

you are correct in that the copyright holder could have a attitude.

You approach them and ask. You explain to them that it is for history and a way to continue the copyright holder's contribution to the hobby as a whole. If they already have the docs on their site, explain to them while it is appreciated that the info is available somehow and we can certainly link to their docs. The unfortunate thing is that if something happens to the doc, the links will break and the knowledge is gone.

If the copyright holder is not around, publish the information and take it down if someone comes forward (and then ask them and apologize for not knowing how to contact them and that you tried).

If after all this they still don't get the idea behind then project, you document it and put a "copyright holder has not approved access here" to explain why it isn't in the archive. Maybe people will approach the holder and talk them into it later.

Do you need a place to host it? I am willing to give some space.

Thanks!

I will, but I'm not started on the project at this time. Again, I need to build a team to help me with this, as the list will get huge quite quickly, and I'm hoping to roll every source already commonly available into it.

As to copyright issues, as these resources have been available online for years, I'm not sure that there would be any issues. But it is something that I should think about.

Back