Thinking of buying a mini-lathe?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been seriously looking at the Grizzly 10x22 with DRO for awhile.

You might consider this as well if you like that size.

https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-1022v-pm-1030v/

My lathe is the larger model they sell and I have been very happy with it. I have no affiliation other than as a customer. If the Grizzly is the one I was looking at when I was shopping, it doesn't have power cross feed. I really like power feed on the lathe. It helps a lot with surface finish and regularity.

I have the Grizzly G0602 (10"-22"), and have been pretty happy with it. It has longitudinal power feed, but not power cross feed. I did modify the stock compound hold-down to make it more rigid, and it is now a fairly capable machine.

I have the Grizzly G0602 (10"-22"), and have been pretty happy with it. It has longitudinal power feed, but not power cross feed. I did modify the stock compound hold-down to make it more rigid, and it is now a fairly capable machine.
Did you buy new? What have you collected/found most useful as far as tooling?

Did you buy new? What have you collected/found most useful as far as tooling?
Yes, I bought new. I upgraded to a quick-change tool post, and would definitely recommend doing that. All of my tooling is HSS. I really like having the ability to just grind a different cutting tool for a different project. I really don't need the super fast material removal that carbide could do, it's just a hobby for me.

Yes, I bought new. I upgraded to a quick-change tool post, and would definitely recommend doing that. All of my tooling is HSS. I really like having the ability to just grind a different cutting tool for a different project. I really don't need the super fast material removal that carbide could do, it's just a hobby for me.
I absolutely agree on the quick change. It was the first thing I did. I almost always use carbide but I have probably enough high speed steel tooling to fill a couple of 5 gallon buckets that was given to me by several different people. Also have a dedicated tool grinder for making one off/custom tools. Keep in mind the fact that we used to manufacture cars in Kenosha, a lot of stuff "followed" people home from work and ended up sitting in their garages. Eventually they realized they were never going to use it....

The half-hour this video will take from your life is well worth it:
https://hackaday.com/2018/12/31/take-a-mini-lathe-for-a-spin/
Lots of stuff I didn't know. Examples: Change gears on a lot of these items are delrin plastic, and can/will stress crack. You can buy metal replacements but...the price! whew! Very slow feeds may not be possible. Is there a threading dial for engaging the half-nuts? (Maybe, maybe not) The 7x10 can be almost useless by the time you have the chuck in place and are ready to install a drill bit in the tailstock; 7x14 is better.

Best -- Terry
Is it good? Mini lathe?

Back