Thinking of a new rocket glider design...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRThro

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My InFlight Mach 10 clone has been sitting on the dashboard of my minivan ever since my club's launch on November 14th, so I've had a lot of time to look at it. It flew twice at the club launch, basically doing a really big inside loop both times. The first time it hadn't quite pulled out of the loop before it "landed," but the second time it did glide straight and level for a bit before it landed.

I've never designed a boost or rocket glider, but using the Mach 10 as a starting point, I have in mind a rocket glider with a BT-20 body tube that would eject the nose cone on a streamer like the Mach 10 does. Using a smaller tube should reduce the weight of the glider somewhat. The wings would be made from 1/8" balsa for sturdiness.

I wonder how much the BT-60 body tube of the Mach 10 contributes to its flight characteristics. Does it add any lift, say, due to the airflow through it?

(To be continued...)

My InFlight Mach 10 clone has been sitting on the dashboard of my minivan ever since my club's launch on November 14th, so I've had a lot of time to look at it. It flew twice at the club launch, basically doing a really big inside loop both times. The first time it hadn't quite pulled out of the loop before it "landed," but the second time it did glide straight and level for a bit before it landed.

I've never designed a boost or rocket glider, but using the Mach 10 as a starting point, I have in mind a rocket glider with a BT-20 body tube that would eject the nose cone on a streamer like the Mach 10 does. Using a smaller tube should reduce the weight of the glider somewhat. The wings would be made from 1/8" balsa for sturdiness.

I wonder how much the BT-60 body tube of the Mach 10 contributes to its flight characteristics. Does it add any lift, say, due to the airflow through it?

(To be continued...)

John, one of the members of our club (HUVARS) did a Mach 10 with a movable elevator for a straigt boost and a beautiful glide. The elevator pops up at ejection.

Let me see if I can find his plans. It's a real simple design but elegant in operation.

Why reinvent the wheel?

(To be continued...)

Make the Mach-10 nose cone as heavy as possible... This will help some. Do you need me to send you a solid resin cone?

sandman said:
Why reinvent the wheel?
Gordon, I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, I'm trying to design something that's new, at least new to me.

rokitflite said:
Make the Mach-10 nose cone as heavy as possible... This will help some. Do you need me to send you a solid resin cone?
Thanks, Scott, but no, I already have the nose cone pretty well filled with clay.

In the Centuri Mach 10 instructions, it says to angle the launch rod if you're getting the kind of arcing boost that I got with mine, so the solution could be as simple as that.

Can the Mach 10 be flown with C6-3 motors? The Centuri instructions list that as one of the recommended motors, but I'm pretty sure that the InFlight kit only recommends the B4-2.

Gordon, I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, I'm trying to design something that's new, at least new to me.

Thanks, Scott, but no, I already have the nose cone pretty well filled with clay.

In the Centuri Mach 10 instructions, it says to angle the launch rod if you're getting the kind of arcing boost that I got with mine, so the solution could be as simple as that.

Can the Mach 10 be flown with C6-3 motors? The Centuri instructions list that as one of the recommended motors, but I'm pretty sure that the InFlight kit only recommends the B4-2.

Gotcha!

John, one of the members of our club (HUVARS) did a Mach 10 with a movable elevator for a straigt boost and a beautiful glide. The elevator pops up at ejection.

Let me see if I can find his plans. It's a real simple design but elegant in operation.

Why reinvent the wheel?

Were you able to find this ? I am interested in setting up something like this myself, and you said it, " Why re-invent the wheel ? " :confused2:

Were you able to find this ? I am interested in setting up something like this myself, and you said it, " Why re-invent the wheel ? " :confused2:

No, I'll try to sketch it out from memory. It's pretty simple really, it involves a short pushrod and some tubing glued along the leading edge of the tail fin.

No, I'll try to sketch it out from memory. It's pretty simple really, it involves a short pushrod and some tubing glued along the leading edge of the tail fin.

Thanks...... when you have a minute ...... I would appreciate a drawing of the layout.

Jim

I'm interested in this too. I've got something in the works, but I'm having trouble figuring out the elevator actuation. Can you send me the sketch?

Sean

Back