Thinking down the road

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knuckledragger

TLAR Engineering hack
Reaction score
If you were going to build a Leviathan off a Big Daddy kit and extra body tube, and you were thinking about flexible motor possibilities, and you were thinking about staging/clusters using a previously cut-down Big Daddy lower body; where would you go with that?

I’d want it to take a 29mm or 38mm MMT so you could L1 with it if not high power certified on a small H motor. And a plus is you could fly it on mid power 29 or 38mm single grain loads economically without needing a FAA waiver. I’d keep it simple motor eject Apogee deploy. My opinion.

If you were going to build a Leviathan off a Big Daddy kit and extra body tube, and you were thinking about flexible motor possibilities, and you were thinking about staging/clusters using a previously cut-down Big Daddy lower body; where would you go with that?

Install the coupler in the shorter slotted tubes, and use removable rivets to connect to the longer body tube.

That way you have a cluster booster, and large caliber single motor booster.

I have some rivets left over from my extended BD av bay. Laying out fins for both tubes but enlarged the main fins by 11mm on the root, leading edge, and tip. Going to make the plain vanilla fins and throw down two sets (hollow core - open leading and trailing edge, and stepped leading edge) that I've been thinking over just for giggles and the sake of doing it. Sketching out the interchangeable motor mounts I like and is pretty easy to do. Just gotta decide on the wallet pain per flight! Was looking at enlarging the inner diameter of stacked and rotated CRs (wood) and mounting that then drilling three holes and CA hardening after threading them for nylon screws, that would secure the actual motor mount to the fixed CR. Or I can stack three CRs, dry fit them, measure and drill for the center ring and use rivets to hold it all in place and make the whole lower end interchangeable. Going to break out the scale and see where I can trim down a few ounces. The fins will get lightened internally, the coupler I thought about shortening a little and using a hole saw to take a few plugs out of it, then some of the nose cone shoulder might go. Deciding how I want to pop the laundry via baffle, stuffer, then to piston against the bottom of the NC. The BD extended is rear eject, thought about that too! The weather is changing again tonight so I wont get to put any paint on anything nor ground check the BD. Colorado weather is a crap shoot this time of year. Will have to OR sim it at work next week if I get the chance. May have to name it Junk-N-Da-Trunk just for the cluster alone!

Attachments

• IMG_1974.jpg
    IMG_1974.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Back