EVENT Thinking About Going to NSL 2021 Alamosa CO

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLP1

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
We are thinking about going this year never been to a NSL. So I'm looking for input pros and cons I guess you might say. We have been all over Colorado but never to that part. So what's it like? It will be about a 14 hour drive for Southeast Tx to Alamosa for us so will it be worth the trip? Thanks :)

High and dry. No bugs. Rockets will mysteriously perform better, but you might use a chute that's a little bigger. GOOD TATER COUNTRY! Conservative farm country, nice sprinkler systems. Go to the Great Sand dunes and pretend you are in the Kingdom of Saud, sled or surf the sand. Yummy micro brew and outdoor cooking at farm a few miles from launch site. Lovely gravel pit at the site but where is a near by river? None to be found, talking Dinosaur gravel there. No rocket eating trees in sight. New Mexico and Santa Fe closer than Colorado Springs! But you know there is a store in the Springs where you will leave with empty pockets. Widely spaced and machine groomed launch area for the BIGGEST BIG BOY TOYS. Is that a cloud is see in the pure azure sky? Out in the sun only a few minutes and already have a tan! Got out of the shower and hair & towel dry in mere minutes! Golly, fer some reason I get a bit more winded on recovery walks, thought I was in better shape back home.

Last edited:
Here comes Gandalf with a big wagon of rockets. Looking at those designs I am sure he has smoking too much of the Hobbit's weed. Look, there are the Top Men who have been working on the newest, Class A stuff! Boy, you sure don't see one of those launched every day. I wish I could be that cool!

Well I put a big motor in it and it looks like it drifted a bit south. The mountains don't look that far away, I bet I could jog over there in 15 minutes. I think my rocket landed on the side of that mountain just to the South. . . Son, that mountain to the South is in New Mexico! You better rename that rocket the High Plains Drifter.

Dang. Just drank two gallons of water today and didn't pee once. No sweat on the shirt, bone dry. Nothing to burn out here. I hear there is a crazy old hermit who lives on the other side of the dune sea. Will have to catch a speeder and visit him and the sand people. Hear they have some powerful igniters and quick burn formulas. No Imperial interference; that is the trick isn't it?

Just had to video chat the ole lady back on Courisant, told her I was missing her like the deserts miss the rain. Gonna have a good time when I get back with lines like that.

Ricky Bobby it's a miracle! I just repainted the repair on the rocket I cracked up at 9 AM. The paint dried before my eyes to an instant perfect sheen with no bugs! Every day is a spray painting day in Alamosa! A 1975 Gremlin just drove by with no rust! Are we in the Twilight Zone?

It's been quite a while since I've been to an NSL (2006). I looked at the facebook page for the club...Wow! Nice launch site! Looks like a little over 9 hrs from here in west central Texas, very doable!

Yep we have been around that part of Colorado a little bit and it's nice. About 14 hours for us coming from the Texas gulf coast. Been to a couple of LDRS's so we figure we would give NSL a look see :)

Wayco and I have our summer home about an hour away from the launch site and took a drive over there last summer to check it out. Really nice place to our Arizona desert eyes. Looking forward to NSL there. Guess I should check if registration and volunteer slots are available yet.

I'm going to be there with my project Final Cut so I will have my complete set up for filming launches. It has 13 cameras on board with six strap on boosters and all are long burning motors. If you are interested in having me film one of your special rockets be aware that my pad will be set up at quite a distance for a complex project. I'll have many new toys (special camera set ups) that will capture unique footage not seen a other rocket launches.

Final Cut 01.jpg

Only 13 on board cameras? How many on the pad system? DAMN! And what a great launch field they have in Alamosa. Should be an epic weekend for launching....

Only 13 on board cameras? How many on the pad system? DAMN! And what a great launch field they have in Alamosa. Should be an epic weekend for launching....

There will be about 20 around the launch pad, perhaps a little less. I mean, you have to draw the line somewhere. I am changing the strategy slightly, having slightly less redundancy but (hopefully) better quality footage. I'm also bringing out a bunch of new toys to shoot with.

Alamosa is one fine launch field. The layout is very cool. Good folks, not far to town, there will be great camping onsite. Should be a great time. BTW if you ever wanted to have a pro film your rocket, Doug is your guy. He did my TinyTim/WAC two stage last fall, unreal!

Good luck out there. I have been to the Great Sand Dunes a couple times (I have family out there on the East side of the Sangre de Cristos). That would be a great place to fly rockets. Deep blue skies. Few clouds.

Back