Think You're Good at Math?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CORZERO

Reaction score
You're cell phone could crunch this in a second. Have fun getting past row 3.

https://www.braeunig.us/apollo/apollo11-TLI.htm

Why should space exploration be limited to the defunct government program we still rely on? Props to Elon. I believe we would be SO mu[continuation from when my keyboard died on me]ch further ahead in the private sector had we not de-evolved as a socioeconomic fascist state.

The USA is better than this. Why are we hanging out in orbit studying plants? We have been beyond Pluto with high def pics of the stupid rock but not landed on it? Why is Voyager just now all we have to see beyond the heliosphere? We have proven technology that send objects to the moon in 9 hrs vs the 3 days it took Apollo. When will private sector be freed from the restraints of government control and bureaucracy so that we may progress? I don't understand what is going on?

Last edited:
And they did it all with slide rules....
They were an extraordinary bunch those guys.
In the multi episode "Moon Machines - Saturn V" (it's on Youtube ) you can really appreciate how skilled the post WWII engineers were at solving problems , on the fly.
Some of those F-1 engines were like handmade masterpieces, they solved problems and made changes while going along.

I really liked the part how they got local surfers to assist with solving fiberglass insulation problems for cryogenic tanks. (at 17:21 in the vid)

[video=youtube;mucb4Ttt1oY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mucb4Ttt1oY[/video]

Last edited:
Possibly after the collapse...

But not until...

I agree. If our future is similar to Star Trek's past then 2063 can't get here any faster. I will be an old man when that comes. But if I am around to see it then I will be excited to know that Earths furture is set.

The Government puts so much regulation on its citizens because it scared that the citizens will DREAM!

We have been beyond Pluto with high def pics of the stupid rock but not landed on it?
That is correct.

It took a lot of fuel and a fly by of Jupiter, getting a gravity assist, to get enough velocity to get to Pluto in a "short" amount of time (9 years). At that time it was going so fast that in order to slow it down would have required it bring along a LOT of fuel which would have cost even more just to get that fuel up to velocity, requiring a bigger rocket, with even more fuel, etc.

A decision was made on what could be gained from landing vs what it would cost to do it, and if zooming past and taking pictures was good enough. It was.

Why should space exploration be limited to the defunct government program we still rely on? Props to Elon. I believe we would be SO mu[continuation from when my keyboard died on me]ch further ahead in the private sector had we not de-evolved as a socioeconomic fascist state.

The USA is better than this. Why are we hanging out in orbit studying plants? We have been beyond Pluto with high def pics of the stupid rock but not landed on it? Why is Voyager just now all we have to see beyond the heliosphere? We have proven technology that send objects to the moon in 9 hrs vs the 3 days it took Apollo. When will private sector be freed from the restraints of government control and bureaucracy so that we may progress? I don't understand what is going on?

New Horizons passed the moon after 9h. That's a huge difference compared to landing on it. New Horizon was accelerated to wickedly fast speeds. To do so, a rather big rocket, the Atlas 551 that is otherwise able to lift 18,814 kg to orbit, was spent to propel a tiny probe of only 478kg. Because braking is as hard in space as accelerating, the spacecraft would have needed lots of propellant to land, which in turn would have increased the size of the necessary rocket dramatically. The Atlas 551 is already a big rocket, compared to most other launcher vehicles in service, therefore we can safely assume that no rocket on earth is big enough for such a flight profile. Maybe SLS will be big enough, but "Spending a couple billions more, to safe 3 days" is probably not the answer to WWED? (What would Elon do?)

Reinhard

had we not de-evolved as a socioeconomic fascist state.

The US is not a socioeconomic fascist state. North Korea is. If you can't see the difference in the economies and societies of North Korea and the US, you need to take a look outside.

When will private sector be freed from the restraints of government control and bureaucracy so that we may progress?
Why should space exploration be limited to the defunct government program we still rely on? Props to Elon.

You do realize that a large fraction of Elon's launches are for NASA, right? You do know that a lot of the development from Falcon 1 to Falcon 9 was funded by NASA, right? If Elon was freed from the chains of the defunct government program, there'd be no Falcon 9, no drone ship, no reusable boosters, no Falcon Heavy, and no Mars Colonial Transporter on the drawing board. Would that be better progress for you?

[edit] The math also isn't really all that hard if you have the equations given as in the website. Anyone who has passed Algebra II/Trig and is careful with units should be able to do it, although I'd sure want to do the calculations twice to make sure I got it right.

Last edited:
Back