Think Marijuana Isn't Addictive?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No realli! She was Karving her initials on the moose with the sharpened end of an interspace toothbrush given her by Svenge—her brother-in-law— an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian movies: "The Hot Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Molars of Horst Nordfink"...
I'll have what he's smokin'!

On topic - the product now available in legalized states for rec use (not medical, different animal IMO) is 6-8-10x stronger than what was behind the bleachers at high school in the 70's and 80's. Yeah, I bet lots of us remember that with the lens of nostalgia. Not the same stuff. You would have given yourself smoke inhalation damage with late 70's weed to equal the dose now in a couple small chunks. Lasting effects (if any) and safeness need to be studied carefully.

Based on the active content, I strongly suspect that operating a vehicle or machinery under the influence of the new stuff is extremely hazardous if not nearly impossible (dude, where's my car?) It may not even be possible to enjoy Hostess cakes and cartoons!

Also might be a good idea to set the age limit to 25, so that at least on paper it isn't available until human brain development is complete.
That being said, I am not a fan of bans or government paternalism, but some parental control is needed to protect those younger folks who may not have a full load of wisdom yet.
On the paternalism, remember Schumer and the HPR motors? Knee-jerk crap. This needs to be careful and full o' science.

Lotsa humor in this thread but it is kind of an important topic.
2 bits from the guy with the Blue Oyster Cult album art for an avatar : ) and was in "that" group as a teen!

Cheers / Robert

Honestly, I do not consider that you can get addicted to marijuana in case you do not suffer of a certain disease like nausea, anxiety, depression or maybe even post traumatic stress disorder. In case you just smoke it for recreative purposes, then I think you do not get addicted to it. At least that is my own opinion. Honestly, I consumed a lot of weed during my life. It really helped me get over PTSD actually. However I never liked the smell, so I started to consume shatter, and you know what?! I really like it actually!

Honestly, I really think that shatter is the best thing made out of weed

haha, Skyfire, you beat me to it!!

Line ups at the Quebec weed outlets are apparently pushing 1/2 hr wait times.. Despite the typical January below freezing temps!

I think we have a pretty clear picture of what legalized cannabis looks like in CO. Physical addiction is not a "thing" but mental effects are not as easy to nail down because of the differences between people and their mental health. Yes, it is an inebriant, it can intoxicate, impair movement and thinking, and is wholly unsuitable for many or most individuals. Great progress has been made with hybridizing and labelling the various types and understanding their composition and effects. CBD/THC ratio and many other aspects of plant breeding are following consumer demand and now we have a situation where consumers are doing the research that the FDA should be leading. Regulating it like alcohol here has worked out well generally with one big exception, illegal black market activity. Banking is a problem that needs to be fixed ASAP because the cash is a magnet for crime, along with interstate commerce by enterprising criminals seeking to profit in the same way that truckers were (are?) picking up cases of cigarettes in low tax states to deliver to places where taxes are high. Congress is about to take steps toward removing it from the scheduled drugs list, allowing the states more flexibility to regulate. Replacing the black market merchants with dispensaries that are required to test their products and prohibit sales to minors will improve product safety and help to shut down much of the crime issues currently associated with cannabis. I agree that using it when launching rockets is asking for trouble, likewise with driving or operating dangerous equipment. It is not suitable for use by many or most people but like limburger cheese, should not be illegal because some people just don't like it. rick.jpg https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisroberts/2021/02/01/top-senate-democrats-well-legalize-marijuana/

And that is why Canada did it.. to get it out of the hands of the black market, and to tax it!

(And I do like the fact I can purchase many different varieties.. not just what "the guy on the corner" happens to have)

Last edited:
And that is why Canada did it.. to get it out of the hands of the black market, and to tax it!

(And I do like the fact I can purchase many different varieties.. not just what "the guy on the corner" happens to have)
Yeah, Amsterdam's had that for years. Many varieties, displayed, detailed description and colorful names.
That's what I hear anyhow, from friends.

Synthetic urine has certain tracers that a lab will pick up . Yes you will pass the test , yes they will know it's fake .
Most commercial urine drug tests also measure creatinine (a common kidney-excreted metabolite of dietary protein/muscle breakdown to determine if it's been diluted, and with so-so precision, by how much) B vitamin supplements make your pee darker orange so can dilute and have light yellow pee, but if creatinine is below physiological range (there is a range), they can nullify the test. Nonetheless, a simple 5-analyte (most common) or 10-analyte ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay--I've run thousands but not for drugs) test is the first (and most economical approach). Any positive result needs to be confirmed with much more expensive MS-GLC, mass spectroscopy/gas-liquid chromatography.

Synthetic urine is stupid and a joke. While there are many substances that will cross-react with drug tests and give false positives (poppy seeds on a bagel, or a Polish dessert dish that is like 80% poppy seeds will light you right up for opioids/opiates; there are others....), nothing sold today online will clean your pee for a test. Hard exercise, copious hydration, and time are your only reliable accelerators, though not by much.

Why is this on TRF anyways? Try erowid, ffs...

Sheesh

Final note: Potheads leave Doritos crumbs on the couch, are always late, and sound kinda stupid in normal conversation (unless daily smokers--then this does not apply). Drunks get inordinately angry over stupid ****, crash cars unnecessarily, and occasionally beat their wives....

Last edited:
Regulating it like alcohol here has worked out well generally with one big exception, illegal black market activity. Banking is a problem that needs to be fixed ASAP because the cash is a magnet for crime, along with interstate commerce by enterprising criminals seeking to profit in the same way that truckers were (are?) picking up cases of cigarettes in low tax states to deliver to places where taxes are high. Congress is about to take steps toward removing it from the scheduled drugs list, allowing the states more flexibility to regulate. https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisroberts/2021/02/01/top-senate-democrats-well-legalize-marijuana/
Within state, If you get too greedy with the taxes, the stuff from down the street/neighbor's basement/next state over -- or even the Mexi crap they're still hauling over the Rio Grande (or growing in our National Forests/BLM lands)--they've learned much since the brown bricks of compressed kaka era-- will keep coming because it's cheaper. Much cheaper. You've accomplished little.

Last edited:
Got my sticker
NQSgdb7.jpg

Annual revenues of top 10 pharma
Infogram
RankingCompanyFull-year revenues 2019Full-year revenues 2018% revenue growth
Year on Year
FY 2019
EPS
% EPS growth year-on-year
1Pfizer$51.75bn$53.65bn-4%$2.95c1%
2RochePharma sales
$50bn; group sales $63.35bn
Pharma sales
$45.31bn; group sales
$58.59bn
Pharma
11%a; group 9%a
$20.7713%
3Novartis$47.45bn$44.75bn9%a$5.28h12%
4Merck & Co$46.84bn$42.29bn11%$3.81e64%
5GlaxoSmithKline$43.54bn$39.65bn8%a$1.46e4%
6Johnson & JohnsonPharma sales
$42.19bn;
group sales
$82.06bn
Pharma sales
$40.73bn; group sales
$81.58bn
Pharma sales; 3.6%b; group sales
0.6%b
$5.63Unchanged
7AbbVie$33.27bn$32.75bn1.6%b$5.2844.3%
8SanofiPharma sales
$27.77bn;
group sales
$40.36bn
Pharma sales
$26.63bn; group sales $38.5bn
Pharma
4.1%b; group
4.8%b
$2.51-67%
9Bristol-Myers Squibb$26.15bn$22.56bn16%b$4.69g 18%
10AstraZenecaPharma sales
$23.57bn;
group sales
$24.38bn
Pharma sales
$20.49bn; group sales
$23.75bn
Pharma sales
15%b; group sales
13%b
$3.50h1%

State, local marijuana industry breaks records in 2020, doubling 2019 revenue (Okla)
https://www.normantranscript.com/ne...cle_95209b02-6e29-11eb-9352-ef4c03c0ba70.html
from TFA: "According to data from the Oklahoma Tax Commission, Norman dispensaries produced $33.6 million in total revenue in 2020, doubling the $16.1 million dispensaries put out in 2019. Norman dispensaries also remitted more than $2.9 million in city and state sales tax in 2020. "

Back