Things you never throw away

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bike parts.

We have an extensive fleet, so may have their uses. Didn't help that when a friend moved out of the country at the start of the Covid fun, I got all his parts too. Nice to not need chains, brake pads, cassettes and chainrings for a while :)

I keep all my rocket kit instructions.

I used to. But I didn't really organize them unless you want to call squeezing a pile in a binder clip "organization".

I kept them for quick reference, and then eventually quit looking at them, at all. I have a few instruction guides, usually from the folks that have excellent instructions (Binder Designs, MAC Performance, PML) and I keep those for reference.

Y’all just had to mention cables and power supplies - that’s borderline embarrassing for me - but on those rare occasions when you need one it’s sure nice to have a box or two in hand to dig through. Fixed the charger for our sump pump backup system with a surplus inverter and if anyone ever needs 20-50-ish feet of modular phone cables I’m on it (as long as you have enough connectors to hook ‘em all together 😆).
Whenever, I walk past electronics out on the street for garbage pickup I always check to see if they left the power chords. Even if I need heavy gauge wire I can always cut them up ;)

I would add that I never throw away plastic storm doors or windows. I have built so many 3D printer enclosures over the last few years that I always wish I had more acrylic / plexiglass sheets around.

Digitize your LPs, put them on a thumb drive or SD card.
Heresy!

-Tim Smith
TRA# 4907 L1

No it isn't. I committed most all of my LPs back in the day to Dbx encoded high quality cassette tapes. Did Dolby C and D if I wanted to play in the car. There were no Dbx car cassette players back then. This was well before digital.
Played back in a DBX cassette player and couldn't tell any degradation in sound quality compared to the LP. It means I also had to make sure the record was immaculately clean when it was recorded or the pops and clicks would be recorded. I generally dubbed the tapes with the speakers off or on very low volume so the record cartridge wasn't disturbed during the recording.
Most all of my records are in immaculate shape as they only had 1 or 2 plays before I committed them to tape. If the tape "wore out" I'd do another dub. I used a Toshiba DX900 digital capable VCR to do Analog to Digital dubs on VCR tape. Could get 7 to 10 hours music on one VCR tape for archival use. This format never took off. The DX900 was the only unit ever made for this. There are digital converters that one can plug in to a VCR. I got one of those too.
Moot point now as VHS is dead. No players or tapes. Stopped being made years ago. Kurt

No it isn't.

He was talking about discarding the LP’s and keeping only the digital dub!

There were no Dbx car cassette players back then

I had an outboard dbx 22 auto decoder (with tone controls) under dash in ‘83.

AE177A73-36BB-4D8D-8166-F947E3E317D1.jpeg

That one was stolen and replaced with a Concord dbx unit in ‘86. I still have the Concord auto decoder, a dbx 222, and a 224X-DS.

For those not familiar, this system removes background hiss far beyond what Dolby C could do and increases the dynamic range of a cassette tape significantly.

He was talking about discarding the LP’s and keeping only the digital dub!

I had an outboard dbx 22 auto decoder (with tone controls) under dash in ‘83.

That one was stolen and replaced with a Concord dbx unit in ‘86. I still have the Concord auto decoder, a dbx 222, and a 224X-DS.

For those not familiar, this system removes background hiss far beyond what Dolby C could do and increases the dynamic range of a cassette tape significantly.
Gosh, I wouldn't discard the LP's. Heck I didn't know there was an outboard auto decoder. A lot was going on in my life at that time but I must have missed it. I probably would have bought one My first cassette Dbx recorder was a teac V3Rx from the early 80's Kurt

Gosh, I wouldn't discard the LP's. Heck I didn't know there was an outboard auto decoder. A lot was going on in my life at that time but I must have missed it. I probably would have bought one My first cassette Dbx recorder was a teac V3Rx from the early 80's Kurt
FWIW - you can laser cut LPs and make into wall art ;)
1675706613683.png

I've been trying to come up with something normal ever since this thread started, but all I have is this:

Unless it clutters or smells, I throw nothing away.

I think that covers all cases.

Last edited:
Probably unusual things that I tend to keep include:

Zip-ties: I use the fine point of an X-acto #11 blade to open up the ratchet, remove them, and re-use them many times.
Dry-wall anchors: I'll remove them and re-use them later
Fasteners: I'll never toss out a screw or a nail, unless the nail is bent, or screw is stripped. Even rusty nails have potential for reuse.
Plastic zip-lock bags: A quick wash and rinse, and they can be used over and over again.
Igniter wires: the solid copper wires from e-matches is so often useful as small hook-up wire. Confession: I've even raided the trash bins at rocket launches.

Dry-wall anchors: I'll remove them and re-use them later
Yes, if it's a variety that can be re-used (e.g. not mollies, which are what I mostly use. We could have a whole other thread about drywall anchors. :))
Fasteners: I'll never toss out a screw or a nail, unless the nail is bent, or screw is stripped. Even rusty nails have potential for reuse.
Hmm, not so much nails for me, but definitely have the big tin 'o' miscellaneous screwable objects.
Plastic zip-lock bags: A quick wash and rinse, and they can be used over and over again.
Wash? Rinse? I know not what this means. At least, not for the ever-expanding collection on my workbench that I use for hobby stuff.

Food-wise, I just bought some reusable zip-locks from Target, they're a nice heavy plastic. But they do absorb odors like crazy, and as far as I can tell it is impossible to ever get rid of the odor. So I have a few dedicated for particular types of food that I try to reuse as much as possible.

Yes, if it's a variety that can be re-used (e.g. not mollies, which are what I mostly use. We could have a whole other thread about drywall anchors. :))

And other types of wall anchors including brick, cinder block, poured concrete, lath & plaster, and ?????. I'm not attempting to put another hole my house again, every time it is a new surprise.

I keep screws and nails too. Zip ties not so much. At least 20 years ago I bought a container of zip tie that was about 6" in diameter and 18" tall. I still have some left.

If you digitize and store in .WAV files then you still won't. MP3 compression introduces the distortion people complain about.
As I mentioned, it was way before home computers were affordable. I was 19 years old when I started setting up a stereo. My old Marantz 2285b amp could rock the walls back in the college dorm back in the day. It still works and I used it for a back channel amp for surround sound. I'm 66 years old now so that shows one how long the thing has lasted. I'm too old to re-convert my LP's to .WAV files as I'll probably be dead before I can enjoy them. Kurt

Back