Things to do in Dallas

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronz Rocketz

NAR# 109557, Level 1
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be in Dallas again on 6/1 to 3. then driving to San Antonio on the 4th. I've been to Johnson Space Center and it's a bit out of the way. I've been to the Book Depository Museum many years ago. We tried to go there last year but the Qanonholes were hanging out on the grassy knoll waiting for JFK Jr to show up so he can become Trump's new VP (I kid you not).

Anything rocketry you'd recommend while in Dallas or along the way to San Antonio?

DARS launches on June 4 in Arlington.
There are a couple of good airplane museums in Dallas. There is a good science museum, according to most people.

DARS launches on June 4 in Arlington.
There are a couple of good airplane museums in Dallas. There is a good science museum, according to most people.
We attended the DARS launch in Arlington before. Looks we could join in again before heading to San Antonio. Looks like 6mph winds so not bad. I'll bring some plastic rockets this time.

I'll be in Dallas again on 6/1 to 3. then driving to San Antonio on the 4th. I've been to Johnson Space Center and it's a bit out of the way. I've been to the Book Depository Museum many years ago. We tried to go there last year but the Qanonholes were hanging out on the grassy knoll waiting for JFK Jr to show up so he can become Trump's new VP (I kid you not).

Anything rocketry you'd recommend while in Dallas or along the way to San Antonio?
Check out https://www.dallasnews.com/

Dallas Morning News web site. They usually list upcoming events and good places to eat. Speaking of eating - there are cultures from around the world represented in Dallas (and most of Texas). *Please* don't settle for Burger King, even if you just want a burger! Central Texas has a lot of Czech and German folks. More good food and cultural events.

Check out https://www.dallasnews.com/

Dallas Morning News web site. They usually list upcoming events and good places to eat. Speaking of eating - there are cultures from around the world represented in Dallas (and most of Texas). *Please* don't settle for Burger King, even if you just want a burger! Central Texas has a lot of Czech and German folks. More good food and cultural events.
Clicked on Things to Do but there's a paywall. :(

We'll be staying with the inlaws. I can talk my wife into going to DARS before heading to San Antonio on Sunday. It does look like there's plenty of flight museums but we have them here also at Pearl Harbor with actual battle damage in the museum hangar windows. Any that has a decent rocketry section with historic stuff to look at?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Clicked on Things to Do but there's a paywall. :(

We'll be staying with the inlaws. I can talk my wife into going to DARS before heading to San Antonio on Sunday. It does look like there's plenty of flight museums but we have them here also at Pearl Harbor with actual battle damage in the museum hangar windows. Any that has a decent rocketry section with historic stuff to look at?
I don't click on the part at the top, I scroll down the page about 1/3 or 2/3 of the way down. I'm also running ad/flash/script blockers in Firefox. It gets past some paywalls.

*Please* don't settle for Burger King, even if you just want a burger! Central Texas has a lot of Czech and German folks.
This, absolutely! One little bit of Texas culture of which we are inordinately fond is Whataburger, the greatest fast food chain anywhere. Also, you'll be headed down I-35 on your journey from Dallas to San Antonio. Just north of Waco is a little town called West, which has a significant Czech heritage. Pick up a box of kolaches from Czech Stop. Trust me.

Do not stop in Waco. It is an suppurating boil on the buttocks of Texas.

James

Don't know what kolaches are but will definitely try them. Been to the Stockyards years ago with the now ex-wife. Angelo's looks interesting. My birthday is on Thursday and inlaws want to take me to Texas de Brazil. We used to go to the one in Las Vegas when we lived there.

Last year, we ate at a famous Mexican restaurant but can't remember the name. It has a big courtyard and long waiting line to get in. It was okay. I guess I'm not a big fan of Texmex. We have a few good ones in Honolulu but not many.

Hard8 BBQ is more fun, especially if its not too hot (yet) to eat outside:

Hard Eight BBQ​

https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...fcmVzdGF1cmFudOABAA!16s/g/1hc1n6yz5?entry=ttu
Others mentioned a few second-tier museums, but really, DFW is all about food and sports for me. If you are interested in either category, you won't be disappointed.
Downtown FW is more fun than downtown D, but both are kinda limited in attractions on offer.

Just north of Waco is a little town called West, which has a significant Czech heritage. Pick up a box of kolaches from Czech Stop. Trust me.

Well, Czech stop stopped being Czech about a generation or two ago. It's just a semi-Dunkin Donuts now. Or that's how I remember it from the last time I stopped there about a decade ago.

Back to DFW:
  • If in mood for German food and unbelievable number of great beers on tap, try Bavarian Grill
  • If in mood for central European food (with Czech beer), try Jorg's Cafe Vienna
  • If in mood for Japanese food popular with Japan expats, try Yama Sushi (the original location)
  • If in mood for steaks - you are in steak heaven. There are at least dozen options that come to mind. Google, and pick one - they are all excellent!
  • If in mood to impress in-laws or SO, go to the rotating restaurant on top of Reunion tower after dark. Food is OK, but views are worth it. Crown Block, or whatever they call it these days.
HTH,
a

I live near a Hard Eight and we don’t go there unless we have to, so many better options. (Fun ≠ good food) It’s not terrible, but more marketing than barbecue. Any place that buses in customers from nearby convention hotels isn’t relying on locals to keep them afloat. And to call the Czech Stop a ‘semi-Dunkin Donuts’ will probably end up in fisticuffs with most folks I know. The pecan and poppy seed rolls are second to none, and their lemon poppyseed cake is a crowd pleaser. For breakfast or lunch, the sausage kolaches (regular, cheese sausage, or jalapeño) are hard to beat.

You’ll find Texas folks are very opinionated about their barbecue.

I can highly second going to Fort Worth and Angelo’s. The Amon Carter museum may not be rocketry related, but for American art, it’s a great way to spend an afternoon. (And it's free admission.)

Tony.

Last edited:
Back