Things that go "bump" in the flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
It was great to see so many figh power flights at Airfest! There was one thing that happened frequently. I asked, and got several answers, some contradictory. During the motor burn, sometimes almost from the start, I could hear a sound - a bump (or thump or pop) - several times during the flights. Sometimes only two or three times, sometimes almost continuously. What causes this?

I've been told:
the motor is spitting the grain liner
it's voids in the grain (or other irregularities)
it's slag being spit out of the nozzle

I never see any change in the flame or in the smoke trail when this happens. I have never seen this happen when a motor burns in a test stand

Ideas? (and can you back up your opinion with data/observations, or other facts/)

Seems reasonable that anything which briefly clogs the nozzle would make a pop. I'd lean toward casting tube bits, as sugar motors are very slaggy with smaller nozzles but I don't recall them popping a bunch more.

An easy test would be to find a reliably poppy motor and glue the grains in. Pop disappears, there you have it.

Back