"Things I Want To See Frank Make" ! ! !

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two things I want to see Frank (or any other brave soul) build are a copy of the Tiamat missile (first guided missile), and a (full scale?) model of the (Convair) Pye Wacket Defensive Anti-Missile System, designed for the B-70.

Tiamat (single stage version)
300px-JB-3_Tiamat.jpg

Pye Wacket
(well, I can't load an image...)
https://www.astronautix.com/graphics/a/aedc59-1907.jpghttps://www.astronautix.com/graphics/a/aedc59-0993.jpg

Last edited:
I am working on a 32" span by 28" long 2.6" diameter Vulcan right now...I sculpted the rear of the tube to simulate the stinger, and hoped the pnc-80BB wouldn't be too bad for the nose, I have some detailing to add. It's hard to do a scale version of the fuse using tubes as the fuse tapers to the rear and the wing has such a thick root/intake you really have to do a built up wing, but I did the best I could for a simple model, it's only 6.2 oz dry right now, should be around 10-10.5 oz rtf with radio and motor. Uses 9mm depron for the wing with two 3mm spars and a 6mm depron tail.
vulcan_cg[1].jpgIMG_20200812_223015659.jpgIMG_20200812_210337338.jpgIMG_20200812_210538149.jpg

That is exceptionally cool! A beautiful piece of work.
I saw one fly once, unmistakable profile, while waiting for bus after school at East Jr. High. Very high, straight overhead with two chase planes. (Good it was straight up, otherwise wouldn't have seen it thru LA smog...)

Attachments

• Disaster 17b valkyrie.pdf
    883.8 KB · Views: 21
Hi, Frank !

I took your suggestion and started a new thread.

So, to get things started . . . How about a "Starship Of David", from the Mel Brooks movie "The End Of The World - Part 1" ?

If you accept my "challenge", I will send your the data you would need to design this model ( sufficient to make accurate "patterns" ) . . . Send me an email !

Here is my email address : [email protected]

Dave F.

View attachment 415398

View attachment 415399

View attachment 415400

View attachment 415401

View attachment 415402

View attachment 415403
That’s Beautiful! I had SO forgotten about that.

From what I have read, the real F117 wasn’t the easiest bird to fly either!
[/QUOTE]
I believe the pilots affectionately called it “the hopeless diamond”

From what I have read, the real F117 wasn’t the easiest bird to fly either!
[/QUOTE]
North Coast Rocket JUST came out with this a couple of months ago. I purchased it but won’t build it for a couple months. It’s BEAUTIFUL. Perhaps Frank could help adapt it for RC flight.

North Coast Rocket JUST came out with this a couple of months ago. I purchased it but won’t build it for a couple months. It’s BEAUTIFUL. Perhaps Frank could help adapt it for RC flight.
[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• 6FA2FDC8-4DB0-40F4-93FA-B2320D74D4CB.jpeg
    6FA2FDC8-4DB0-40F4-93FA-B2320D74D4CB.jpeg
    44.6 KB · Views: 10
Unfortunately the two clubs that I fly at either have tall crops or water hazards around which make it problematic for pop pod designs which is one of the reasons I don't use those. I think I'd be too heavy if you didn't try to utilize the Pop pod so that's why I wasn't interested in trying to convert it

[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately the two clubs that I fly at either have tall crops or water hazards around which make it problematic for pop pod designs which is one of the reasons I don't use those. I think I'd be too heavy if you didn't try to utilize the Pop pod so that's why I wasn't interested in trying to convert it

[/QUOTE]
“Pop Pod”?

The part with a nose weight that ejects by a parachute or streamer, it's one extra thing to track find and lose especially in a tall field or in a pond...

“Pop Pod”?
[/QUOTE]

I decided to bring back the Valhalla kit and see how it does now, with an alternate nose with foam cockpit and straight wing tips with the option of cranking them down if desired....This was my attempt at a very simple great flying kit that was styled sort of like a Valkyrie...Also doing a kit of an F-35 like model as well....IMG_20200818_141525448-2048x1152.jpgIMG_20200819_071548024-2048x1152.jpg

Don't forget about the classic boost glider...
Been running into this in a lot of old rocket mags. Real cool looking and I'm a fan of the XB-70 (the real one). Would like to try building one -- someday after I get more experience building more simple stuff. Looks like a kinda difficult build. Been reading it crashed a lot too.

I've done two valkyrie ish designs, but they didn't sell at all. I now do a small -ish version for 18mm motors. I just haven't been motivated to do a built up more scale fuse but I couldn't kit that, too many parts, and there are designs out there for that.

Two things I want to see Frank (or any other brave soul) build are a copy of the Tiamat missile (first guided missile), and a (full scale?) model of the (Convair) Pye Wacket Defensive Anti-Missile System, designed for the B-70.

Pye Wacket
(well, I can't load an image...)
https://www.astronautix.com/graphics/a/aedc59-1907.jpghttps://www.astronautix.com/graphics/a/aedc59-0993.jpg

The "Pye Wacket" "is bizarre . . . Literally, a "flying disk" ( Lenticular Defense Rocket ). Did they ever have an operational test prototype ?

Dave F.

Last edited:
Pure disks are very hard to do with a pusher rocket motor since they balance so far forward and the motor is so far rearward, I've done four different disk wing birds with tube fuselages to get the cg forward that fly great, but I get almost zero interest in them, sort of sad really....

Back