"Things I Want To See Frank Make" ! ! !

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anything is possible

I would love to sic this on a German Shepherd down the street, they have an electric fence and he spends his days in the front yard barking his fool head off at every person and car that passes by.

Maybe that makes me one sick puppy.

Frank, here are some projects I have planned for next year, once my spare time increases exponentially in January.

In addition to the Vulcan and F-105, I have some other models in the design and planning stages.

XF-103: Should work well with BT-80 parts with a slight increase in wing area and horizontal tail area. Make the ventral inlet fairing a little less pronounced. This is the second version of the design, with a vestigial canopy and a nice ventral fin.

Mizuno Shinryu Type II: Little known Japanese rocket powered interceptor concept, never built. Should work well. Basically a better looking Estes Astro Blaster. BT-80 based.

Upscaled 24" span version of the Black Horse spaceplane that I did a few years ago for the Aerotech D2.3-P. The small one is a great flyer and the upscale ought to be even better. built up Depron fuse.

Downscaled version of my XB-70 profile model, sized for the D2.3 with a 17" span. Will make the fuse built up this time, from 3mm depron.

I still have a decent stash of depron, although I am almost out of the regular 6mm. I did get three cases of the 6mm depron with the small grooves on one side during the close out sale at RCFoam. It works fairy well. I keep the grooves on the bottom of the flying surfaces and on the inside of built up parts. I did an RC electric profile by laminating two layers of the grooved depron. I am trying to reserve what normal 6mm depron I have left for single surface vertical tails.

One or two other things in the pipeline behind these, once the backlog is done.

Attachments

• Republic XF-103 Late_01.jpg
    Republic XF-103 Late_01.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Mizuno-Sinryu-2.jpg
    Mizuno-Sinryu-2.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 14
  • bh1.jpg
    bh1.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 12
  • bh3.jpg
    bh3.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 12
  • xb-70.jpg
    xb-70.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 11
Nice Tom!

Btw greg tanous in texas is importing 6mm and 3mm depron again, sheets are much bigger, 3mm is more formable, 6mm is slightly lighter and slightly more flexible than original depron but it's nice and smooth and flat and the best stuff out there right now. rcdepron.com

Saw that depron site recently. Am planning on making the run to Waco (just 80 miles south) to pick some up at some point. We go there several times per year to fly jets at the HOTMACs club field.

But, also need to work through the three cases of the grooved stuff...:) The grooved stuff I have appears to have the same texture and "feel" as the 6MM parts on the Vulcan and F-105 kits. Different than the classic 6mm depron of years past.

A quick update on my projects before letting this thread get back to the real topic. After building Franks Vulcan and F-105, I spent a couple of evenings designing and cutting out all the Depron parts and tubes for the XF-103 and the Mizuno Shinyru.

Looks like they will all be lots of fun!

When there is more to show, I will crank up individual threads on these models.

As far as what Frank should build next......not sure, as he has built nearly everything I could think of...:)

Last edited:
Frank,

Here is something I'd like to see you make . . .

I'd like to see you make a real, high-performance RC rocket-glider, designed for Maximum Duration . . . In sizes all the way down to 13mm or 18mm BP motors !

Some Examples ( below ) :

Dave F.

1k.jpgksl9QHN.jpg1d.jpg82221106X61548X11.JPG6a01287746422b970c0120a8442c68970b-800wi.jpga2284243202img_1671.jpg

I did think of something I would like to see Frank do. It sort of goes along with the Orbital Transport glider.

While not as popular at the Orbital transport, I also liked the Centuri SST Shuttle. It has a great looking little glider.

My SST Shuttle Glider did not always release at ejection, even with the couple to glider tube very loose. I modified my SST shuttle to have the 1/8" dowel and launch lug attachment like the Orbital Transport glider.

Ought to make a fun RC RG.

https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/centuri/kc-17.pdf

I always thought the SST shuttle looked better than the orbital transport. That model and the piggy back dual gliding centuri shuttle both have pretty small wings for their size....

Frank

I did think of something I would like to see Frank do. It sort of goes along with the Orbital Transport glider.

While not as popular at the Orbital transport, I also liked the Centuri SST Shuttle. It has a great looking little glider.

My SST Shuttle Glider did not always release at ejection, even with the couple to glider tube very loose. I modified my SST shuttle to have the 1/8" dowel and launch lug attachment like the Orbital Transport glider.

Ought to make a fun RC RG.

https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/centuri/kc-17.pdf

Back