3D Printing Thin transition shroud

Discussion in '3-D Printing and Related topics' started by matthewdlaudato, Aug 12, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Aug 12, 2019 #1

matthewdlaudato

matthewdlaudato

matthewdlaudato

Started to build a Fliskits Morning Star, and saw that the card stock with both the transition shroud and the 5-fin marking guide was missing. Immediately set out to design a shroud. Some careful measurements and one new technique later (creating a ‘loft’ between two sketches in Fusion 360) and I printed this.

IMG_3712.jpg
    IMG_3713.jpg

The wall thickness in F360 is 0.45mm (set to match the default extruded width on my Prusa MK3). Prusa Slicer has a checkbox for ‘detect thin walls’ which resulted in a wall thickness of about 0.5-0.75mm. Very happy with the result, the centering ring slides about halfway in, and the shroud mates to the larger tube perfectly.

IMG_3714.jpg

Now on to the 5-fin marking guide!

neil_w likes this.
  2. Aug 12, 2019 #2

vcp

vcp

vcp

3. Aug 12, 2019 #3

matthewdlaudato

matthewdlaudato

matthewdlaudato

4. Aug 13, 2019 #4

matthewdlaudato

matthewdlaudato

matthewdlaudato

Designed the 5-fin marking guide. Was pretty easy - a circle sketch, then offset it by 1mm, extrude it to 15mm height to create the basic cylinder. Then another sketch of a small rectangle in a plane containing the z-axis. The rectangle is then extruded to cut into the outer face of the cylinder to create the first marking notch. Finally, created a circular pattern with 5 copies of the notch. Very useful techniques, and now trivial to create n-fin marking guides for any tube diameter.

IMG_3716.jpg

5. Aug 13, 2019 #5

matthewdlaudato

matthewdlaudato

matthewdlaudato

Another design for a fin marking guide, this time replacing the notch with a slot. Same technique of creating a sketch (of a slot this time) in a plane perpendicular to the base of the cylinder, then extruding the sketch, and finally duplicating it in a circular pattern.

IMG_3719.jpg

6. Aug 13, 2019 #6

dr wogz

dr wogz

dr wogz

Fly caster

Matt,

curious question: when you make your slots & notches, is the work-plane thru the center of the cylinder, or do you make one parallel to either the XZ or YZ plane and tangent to the cylinder body?

7. Aug 13, 2019 #7

matthewdlaudato

matthewdlaudato

matthewdlaudato

The plane for the slot or rectangle sketch is either XZ or YZ (doesn’t matter which). I center the sketch on the Z axis, so that I’m extruding along a radius of the cylinder. I picked up the basic technique from this video:

8. Aug 13, 2019 #8

dr wogz

dr wogz

dr wogz

Fly caster

thanks, just curious. Iv'e done both ways, and each has advantages depending on what else is being added..

9. Aug 15, 2019 at 12:04 PM #9

matthewdlaudato

matthewdlaudato

matthewdlaudato

Printed the slot version last night, works perfectly. I might increase the wall thickness to 2mm as it is a bit flimsy, but that’s a minor issue. 5 perfectly spaced lines on my BT-50 tube!