Thin chutes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PropellantHead

Reaction score
I am designing a 29mm minimum diameter rocket that will be somewhere in the vicinity of 2.75-3 pounds loaded on the pad. I plan to fly it on near full H power so I need a parachute that is big enough for the mass of the rocket but that will fit into and slide easily out. I know I came across a vendor selling very thin chutes a year or two ago but I'll be darned if I can find them again. Does anyone know of sites that sell something like this? Alternately, should I get two smaller chutes and just let it separate at apogee?

Top Flight Recovery makes 'chutes of thin mil nylon. I sometimes find them to be slippery which can make it challenging, but they do pack into a tighter space than other parachutes.

One parachute might be better because two would have more shroud lines in relation to the total size and two are more likely to tangle.

-- Roger

We don't offer those directly on our website but can make you some thin 1.1 ounce fabric chutes. That's about as thin as you'll typically find. We only have it in red at this time.

Top Flight thin mill as other have said. I have used them for several small diameter projects.

We have offered our thin mill chutes for years. Flyers really like how they pack up. And the shroud lines are sewed on ready for flight.

1.) Two small chutes are not as effective as 1 larger chute, and unless they are packed and deployed properly, they can get tangled.

2.) Several hobby rocket parachute manufacturers make "lightweight" 1.1 oz fabric chutes, but most use heavier fabric. Most human chutes are made from 1.1 oz. lo or zero porosity rip-stop nylon fabric and withstand deployments at 120+ mph.......so I believe it can be argued that most hobby rocket chutes are over built......at least as fabric weight is concerned.....

Bob

Bob

Back