These centering rings are just a little bit loose

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! I've had sloppy fit centering rings before,
but that is ridiculous!

Looks like your kit was packaged with 30mm centering rings
instead of the 35mm rings needed.

Aw shucks man. Easy fix. Get some scrap balsa, make a wedge out of it and shove it up one side. That'll tighten it up.

Hose clamp on the tube and crush until it fits. Oh wait, this isn't the bogus tips thread?

Loose fit? What are you talking about? Those rings are nice and snug on that motor tube! Heck, you might not even need glue!

Foam the fin can and you'll never know the difference.

Wait, I left something out:

Foam the fin can while really drunk, and you'll never know the difference. :wink:

Daniel,

I've got some spare 35mm rings that you can have if you want them. Are you going to be at the launch on Saturday?

Daniel,

I've got some spare 35mm rings that you can have if you want them. Are you going to be at the launch on Saturday?

Unfortunately, no. I'll probably only be able to make it to the MMMSC launch after Thanksgiving for this year (unless I can get a ride from someone, but I doubt it).

I got the problem figured out, though. A BT-55 fits snugly into the Superbird body tube. I've got some paper wound CR's that fit into that. So I can cut a bit of BT-55 to extend my centering rings (which are actually BT-56 rings which are a little loose in a BT-56, but fit nice and tight in a -55). This will also enable me to upgrade to a D mount, and I can make my own coupler, and not use the crappy plastic one that came with the kit.

DSCN3505.jpg

But thanks for the offer. Perhaps I'll see you up in Maine. If not, I hope to make it to the Winter Follies.

Daniel,

Unfortunately, no. I'll probably only be able to make it to the MMMSC launch after Thanksgiving for this year (unless I can get a ride from someone, but I doubt it).
[snip]
But thanks for the offer. Perhaps I'll see you up in Maine. If not, I hope to make it to the Winter Follies.

John, could you mail them to Daniel?
Daniel, the MMMSC launch for the 26th has been cancelled (there was a launch there this past weekend). The 03 December launch is still on the calendar.

John, could you mail them to Daniel?
Daniel, the MMMSC launch for the 26th has been cancelled (there was a launch there this past weekend). The 03 December launch is still on the calendar.

Oh, no!!! We were gonna make a whole weekend of it! I even got Sunday off in case there was a rain date.

Well, I guess it's good we haven't booked a car or a B&B yet. I think there's still time for me to get a whole weekend for the first December launch. I know I've selected every Saturday off work with a launch on the calendar, even though I haven't been able to make it to many of them. Hopefully, I can get Sunday off as well. We'd like to just go up there, launch a ton, then have dinner with the club (and a few craft beers), and then stay in the B&B we found in South Berwick.

GAAAHHH. That's a bummer. Well, I guess I'll see you guys in December, then. I'm glad I saw this now. I was actually pretty surprised there'd be a launch on Thanksgiving weekend.

Guess I'll get some more time to finish building a couple things. I need to win the lottery so I can quit my job and buy a huge farm and host launches every weekend. Seems like the best solution.

As for the centering rings, thanks for the offer, but I'm going to use the BT-55 I have. With the CR's I've got, I can also bump it up to a D-powered rocket.

Back