The X-Prize may be won, however there is some bad news...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueNinja

Reaction score
Gordon Cooper died today. I remember reading about him in The Right Stuff. :(

Blue

Gus Grissom, Deke Slayton, Alan Shepard and now Gordon Cooper are gone. Scott Carpenter, Wally Schirra and John Glenn remain. But they won't be forgotten...

mercury_7.jpg

WOW, what a loss...... And on the same exact day as the X-prize is won.......

Man, I hadn't heard that. That *is* sad. 3 of the original 7 remain. How many of the moon walkers are still with us? I think the following is right.

Armstrong
Aldrin
Conrad (deceased)
Bean
Shepard (deceased)
Mitchell
Scott
Irwin (deceased)
Young
Duke
Cernan
Schmitt

Also remember those Apollo astronauts who "drove the truck", as Tom Mattingly said. I know that Jack Swigert of 13 has passed.

NASA channel last night aired a recent interview with Gordo, conducted by Walter Cronkite, I think. I tuned in about halfway through - I didn't realize Cooper had died.

Imagine the synchronycity: October 4 is now the anniversary of the launch of the first artificial satellite, the first privately-owned spacecraft, and the death of one of the Original Seven.

While we're at it, why don't we just enumerate the Apollo mission crews. For you young 'uns who don't remember Apollo, these are what you call "heroes":

Apollo 1 (fire) - Grissom (dead), White (dead), Chaffee (dead)

Apollo 7 (earth orbital) - Schirra, Eisele (dead), Cunningham

Apollo 8 (lunar orbital) - Borman, Lovell, Anders

Apollo 9 (earth orbital) - McDivitt, Scott, Schweickart

Apollo 10 (lunar orbital / simulated landing) - Stafford, Young, Cernan

Apollo 11 (lunar landing) - Armstrong, Aldrin, Collins

Apollo 12 (lunar landing) - Conrad (dead), Bean, Gordon

Apollo 13 (accident) - Lovell, Swigert (dead), Haise

Apollo 14 (lunar landing) - Shepard (dead), Mitchell, Roosa (dead)

Apollo 15 (lunar landing) - Scott, Irwin (dead), Worden

Apollo 16 (lunar landing) - Young, Duke, Mattingly

Apollo 17 (lunar landing) - Cernan, Schmitt, Evans (dead)

This was a sad coincidence. It would have been neat if he could have see the flight. Godspeed to all on that list.

Originally posted by illini
While we're at it, why don't we just enumerate the Apollo mission crews. For you young 'uns who don't remember Apollo, these are what you call "heroes":

Illini, I liked your list so much I decided to add to it. Attached is a Excel spreadsheet with the combined Mercury, Gemini and Apollo crews....... The ones in BOLD are no longer with us.

Thanks maniac, I downloaded it :) Somewhere I have a nice summary of this stuff from NASA. Gotta go digging.

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
Illini, I liked your list so much I decided to add to it. Attached is a Excel spreadsheet with the combined Mercury, Gemini and Apollo crews....... The ones in BOLD are no longer with us.

Thanks!! That's a file worth keeping around.

Back