The Wierdest Place you've been in?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The jail in Juarez Mexico - Cheering for the bull in a bullfight is illegal (and so is being a college boy, tanked on tequila, and arguing with the Federales)
Saw ONE bullfight in Spain and that was enough. Didn't cheer for either side. The coup de grace was quick and effective, but the huge amount of blood gushing from the bull's mouth afterwards wasn't pleasant to see. People throw things to the Matador afterwards, including bota bags. One of the guys I was with threw the huge leather one we had been drinking from and that's the one he chose, drank from, and walked off with. Guess he liked both the size and the hard apple cider the guy who owned the bag had filled it with.

The jail in Juarez Mexico -

It's fascinating that you are alive to tell of this - or was Juarez not the murder capitol of the world when you were there? It's a crazy scary place now, though they say it's getting better...:rolleyes:

Well it would be a tough one to choose - probably inside the gubbins of the JET Fusion Reactor (prototype fusion reactor in the UK) some of the others wouldn't be discussable on a family orientated board as they are too rude :) I am hoping at some point to visit Chernobyl while you can still access bits of it as a tourist so that might top JET.

Edit - whoops forgot a visit to Goonhilly (UK Satellite Earth Station) and getting to walk on the dish of a radio telescope like array there (though it was for sat comms not a radio telescope). The whole things been decommissioned now.

Been in a few weird places - I used to sell for a living and got to see inside a lot of customer gear (hence JET and Goonhilly) but a lot of others too which were interesting but not always weird enough to qualify - like Concordes Hanger with a Concorde parked in there.

Last edited:
Not really that weird, but a story. Some time after the bullfight we saw in Zaragoza, Spain in this very ring:

[video=youtube;Xu3-gO9xqRs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu3-gO9xqRs[/video]

we went to Pamplona for the Running of the Bulls. We jumped in as the first of the crowd jogged (not ran) by. Only much later did I learn that we were "running with the steers," not the vastly meaner bulls. The steers were just trotting along, not reacting to any taunts which was just fine by me. I was thinking, "So what's the big deal with this?" not knowing at the time that "the big deal" was for those actually running with the bulls. We stopped as we got to the large entrance door of the stadium because we'd already seen enough human vs. bull action, weren't that impressed, and certainly weren't interested in participating. Besides, it looked like only those dressed in all white with red bandanas were actually going in.

Later that day, participating in the many very colorful festival activities, we came across some guy who sounded like he was Dutch. He was extremely drunk, had climbed up a large statue, and was addressing the crowd like he was Julius Caesar. Eventually, he decided to urinate on the large crowd below which brought laughter from those not in range. Shortly thereafter, what must have been his friends came up and tried to get him to come down. He refused until they walked away in disgust and he decided he should follow them. When he got to the base of the statue, he made the mistake of jumping spread-eagled into the crowd. Everyone simply stepped aside.

Back