The Watch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jqavins

Слава Україні
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I just finished watching the first hour of the two hour premier of The Watch. The wife wanted to put something else on at 9:00, and I should get to bed anyway, and the second hour is being recorded.

I might not bother to watch it.

I can't say the show is completely without redeeming virtue, so I guess it only 95% sucks.

So, after that glowimg and open mimded assessment, what does anybody else think?

I've only seen the trailer, but that didn't make me want to watch it. It was an overly-busy mess, where they kept saying dialog that was supposed to be comedy on top of editing and timing that was set up for action. I hope the show is better than the ad...

Well,
I did not know this series existed until this thread. And based on your posts, I just had to view the trailer. The trailer is crazy stupid which now means I'll just have to watch the premiere episode.

Wish me luck....

Im hesitant.

For those that dont know, the show is a loose adaptation of Terry Pratchett's City Watch books within his Discworld collection. Since the City Watch arc (Night Watch in particular) is my favorite of the Discworld sets, I have some trepidation as to how it'll turn out.

Definitely a lot of reimagining from what I can see in the trailers.

The opening states "Based on characters created by Sir Terry Pratchett". Based on the trailers, I didn't go in with much hope yet decided to give it a chance.

Most of the 5% not-suck I gave it was because the first half of the two hour premier seemed to be shaping up to a decent story, IF you forget everything you know about Discworld. (And even then, the decent story is not well written, produced, acted...)

Okay, I just watched episode 01. And yes, it's a crazy mash of fantasy and fiction. Think Lord of the Rings, The A-Team and Monty Python thrown in a mixer and baked.

Honestly, I liked it. I guess I have the benefit of not having read the Discworld series.

Honestly, I liked it. I guess I have the benefit of not having read the Discworld series.

That sounds like its for the best. You're going in with a fresh mind and no preconceptions. Able to enjoy it as a story in its own right. Whereas those that have read it are stuck with this oddly mirrored uncanny-valley effect.

Got it recorded at home, but am away for two more days. Never heard of Discworld, so I might be alright...

Sounds like the ever present dilemma between great literature and the movies that are made supposedly based upon the books. For instance......

The Isaac Asimov book "I, Robot" (and frankly just about everything in his list of books) are classic literature that helped create the modern genre of sci-fi when it comes to modern books and movies. But the 2004 movie by that name, with characters (at least the names) taken willy-nilly from his works, had almost nothing to do with the written works of Asimov. As a stand alone movie its fine, but as an "Asimovian" universe movie its HORRID. This one is worth watching more than once, but you have to divorce it in your mind from Isaac Asimov or its just plain bad.

The 2011 book, "Ready Player One," by Ernest Cline, is another masterful work of literature in a dystopian future (a VERY popular genre), but the 2018 movie by the same name, is an almost completely different story just using the same names. As a movie from the book its again, Horrid. But if you only watch it for itself its ok...not great...but ok. I doubt I'll ever watch it a second time because its just not worth a second viewing, at least not for me.

Then there's The Martian, a 2011 novel by Andy Weir. For a first novel by an author, he hit this one out of the park. He cleared even the upper decks like the novel was a baseball nose cone on an N10,000 in a minimum diameter all carbon fiber rocket! You might guess that I really like the book. Its one of the best books of its kind that I've ever read and uh.......I read ............ a lot. The movie, unusually enough, is also excellent. Yes, they did the usual condensation of the book. I don't mind that as its usually only a roughly 2 hour movie. And yes, the movie changes a few details that were in the book, but generally only for dramatic affect. Can I say "Iron Man" without giving away too much? LOL! The reader will recognize the movie for what it is, a faithful rendering of the book into cinematic form.

I'm not going to get into the whole George R. R. Martin Song of Fire and Ice series of books and the TV adaptation called Game of Thrones. I don't know how the book series will end....as its not done being written yet. If the author finishes the novels like the TV series ended, then I'd say that his readers will be greatly disappointed. The tv series wasted the ending like I can hardly believe. I think a high school drop-out with a well used library card could have written a better ending for the tv series.......... sorry........

Another would be the 1960 magnificent piece of literature, "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee that is currently being banned by the ignorant, stupid, or just plain evil in the "Woke-U-Verse," and the 1962 cinematic adaptation by the same name, staring Gregory Peck, which is a faithful rendering of the novel in cinematic form. Both are wonderful and should be required reading and viewing to claim and or remain part of the human race. For the fools who denigrate this book and obviously the movie? God help us all.

So literature and movies and movies from literature? Sometimes they're bad. Sometimes they're good. Like with most of like, its a mixed bag at best.

Brad, the "Rocket Rev.," Wilson

The Watch let viewers know up front that it is not based on a Discworld book (or books) but rather "Based on Characters..." You'd have to be paying close attention to the opening credits to see that, but it was there (my wife assures me; I wasn't paying close enough attention).

The thing is, unlike (most of) Game of Thrones, it's not really true to the characters, never mind a particular story line. And it's poorly written, poorly directed and edited, and marginally acted. I could manage to forgive its being a new "alternate story" if it were a good one. Take these well known characters and put them into a whole new story, one that contradicts the books' stories but is good as a new start, and that's OK (ish). The Watch fails to do even that.

And no, I still haven't watched the second half.

From the trailers alone, I was slightly perplexed by the swap of the Patrician (but can chock that up to experimental change-up), but REALLY perplexed at why Cheery (the dwarf) was taller than Angua (the other thing)

It's worse than that. Carrot is shown having to duck through doorways back in the home mine, and tells that he was a foundling and one day his parents explained that he's so freakishly tall because he's actually a human. But Cheery is as tall as Carrot, and just moments later, when Carrot asks Cheery why she's so tall, she casually says there are all sizes down in the mine. WTH?

I mean, if John Rhys Davies could play a dwarf through tech, I figured they'd be able to get Cheery the right size

Another thing that bothered me, perhaps you'd call two things, but their linked. Even though it's only based on the characters, many of those characters are introduced one at a time through the books, and I don't like that they're all there together right from the start in the show. Carrot, Detritus, Angua, and Cheery are introduced one at a time, and the only ones present when Carrot shows up are Vimes, Fred and Nobby.

Wait, where are Fred and Nobby? Good God, they've introduced all the non-human watch members at once, but left out Fred and Nobby? Outrageous!

Like Nytrunner, my favorite Discworld thread is the City Watch. For a show based on the characters to so mistreat the characters as well as the setting is just a damn shame.

(I just checked Rotten Tomatoes. The metacritic score is 42%. The fan score 4%. Ouch.)

Well, I watched The Watch a few nights ago. Meh. Not horrible, not amazing. I do however have the luxury of not knowing who Knobby and Fred are... and am easily amused. Especially for the next month.

Last edited:
Then there's The Martian, a 2011 novel by Andy Weir. For a first novel by an author, he hit this one out of the park. He cleared even the upper decks like the novel was a baseball nose cone on an N10,000 in a minimum diameter all carbon fiber rocket! You might guess that I really like the book. Its one of the best books of its kind that I've ever read and uh.......I read ............ a lot. The movie, unusually enough, is also excellent. Yes, they did the usual condensation of the book. I don't mind that as its usually only a roughly 2 hour movie. And yes, the movie changes a few details that were in the book, but generally only for dramatic affect. Can I say "Iron Man" without giving away too much? LOL! The reader will recognize the movie for what it is, a faithful rendering of the book into cinematic form.

Another would be the 1960 magnificent piece of literature, "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee that is currently being banned by the ignorant, stupid, or just plain evil in the "Woke-U-Verse," and the 1962 cinematic adaptation by the same name, staring Gregory Peck, which is a faithful rendering of the novel in cinematic form. Both are wonderful and should be required reading and viewing to claim and or remain part of the human race. For the fools who denigrate this book and obviously the movie? God help us all.

I agree The Martian is an excellent book or movie. However, as someone who lives in the so-called "wokeverse" To Kill a Mockingbird is most certainly not banned. We covered it in 1st grade (teacher read it to the class), 5th grade, 8th grade, my sophomore year of high school and in my first year of college's American Literature course. We watched the movie in class multiple times as well.

As for The Watch, I haven't watched it, but am curious. I love Pratchett's Discworld series and the novel it is based on, so I'll be checking this one out.

Vimes and Lady Ramkin are talking on the street. There's a sign in the background, to the left side...

eatkids.png

And I always wondered about the "Angels rise" song.

Last edited:
I've watched all the episodes so far with no preconceptions and am still engaged. I like 'Death' showing up and talking to the characters like he's a regular. And the backtalk the goblins give in subtitles is funny.

I've watched all the episodes so far with no preconceptions and am still engaged. I like 'Death' showing up and talking to the characters like he's a regular. And the backtalk the goblins give in subtitles is funny.

Hah, nice. Glad they kept Death around

AS IT SHOULD BE......

I'm a big fan of Pratchetts. With all its quirks, I still find "The Watch" worth watching (no pun intended).

So far they've used elements from "Guards! Guards!", and "The Night Watch". Who is Carcer meeting with? Are these going to be "Auditors"?

Awe, she's my next favorite character after Vimes. "Hello inner child. I'm the inner babysitter."

And I thought it was "death and Texas".

Back