The Voyages of the Starship <name goes here>

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm working on cleaning up a design idea to make it buildable. It's kind of Star Trek-ish, with some ideas shamelessly stolen from a couple of neil_w's designs.
Here's the starting point:
View attachment 434336
There's a lot of things that need work before building it, but first thing's first, it needs a name.
I'm thinking this is a small to medium sized research ship, testing out experimental propulsion technology. The kind of ship that suddenly goes radio silent at the beginning of the episode and is later found adrift with the crew dead and a mysterious portal to the Dimension of Evil in the engineering section.

I'm toying with mythological names, like Prometheus.
Does the Trek universe have a precedent for naming experimental craft (e.g. XSS Whatever instead of USS Whatever)?
There is a scary movie by the same name, if that makes a difference.

But Valiant (Picard's first command) had four nacelles, not three. I guess it's a precursor to that Valiant.
Oh Crap! I messed up. Picard's first command was Stargazer. His first mission commanding it was to do with the Valiant after it went through the galactic barrier. (Pocketverse).

This is embarrassing.

One of my great loves is exploring the canyons of the dessert southwest USA. If I ever was in a position to buy a sailing yacht, which doesn't look likely, I was going to give it an Anasazi name, like Kokopelli. I like the idea of giving a spaceship the name of a character from an ancient, vanished race, but I'm probably in the minority.

All I know is that this thread has a new opening monologue in my head now, thanks to Kuririn.

"These are the voyages of the Starship Apathy. No-one really cares where they're going".

This sounds like a good writing prompt for a parody. Jeff if you don't use this name for your ship I might.

I like the idea of giving a spaceship the name of a character from an ancient, vanished race, but I'm probably in the minority.
I think it sounds like a good idea. Actually, naming craft after figures from mythology is really common. Including figures from a wider range of mythologies is a fine thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't get paint until it's been test flown. It will get flown one of these days, when the club meetings start up again, but probably not for a while because the weather's starting to get bad...

I also like USS Apathy, but I can't quite convince myself to do anything with it.
Can't, or just didn't bother?
Reminds me of a BSG episode
And would this "BSG" be?

EDIT: Oh, wait. Battlestar Galactica, right? (But that should be BG. But then I'd never have figures it out. Original or reboot?) And here I thought you meant Apollo the god woke up in some mortal's body.

Last edited:
Is S'More a Vulcan name?

I'm having a bit of designer's remorse, as I look at how to build this thing.
There don't appear to be any particularly good nose parts available for either the main hull or the nacelles. If I go with the BT-55 based design the closest readily available main nose would be the Goblin, and I'm not sure that's going to be a good look.

I'm toying with clear acrylic for the nacelles: like this

Or maybe I'll use this as an excuse to get better at making things from scratch out of balsa.

Also thinking about adding some more details to the hull, maybe like this:
Version2.png

Latest posts

Back