The view from your office

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spring turkey season, April 21-May 9.....they might be looking for a safe space right about now.
We talked about that. He almost had a nice warm bed on the grill. He was half tame, not acting aggressive or scared. At least he stayed away from the ramp, he might have been shot then.

I never open the windows, so here's my "view"

Advantage: If it's sunny and nice out I never know so I'm never upset about working on a nice day
Advantage: If the weather is rotten I never know so never care that it's rotten outside

IMG_9252.JPG

I'll contribute. Pretty spoiled here. The watery back yard is a good place for winter launches as long as there's snow.

Attachments

• IMG_20210429_190721433.jpg
    IMG_20210429_190721433.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20210429_190745534_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210429_190745534_HDR.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 30
They sure are. I enjoy flying and things that fly. Someday, I'll get my pilots license, but that is another expensive hobby. In the meantime, I am trying to see how many different things I can fly in. I've been in airplanes, helicopters, and a hot air balloon. I really want to go up in an open cockpit biplane and an aerobatic flight in a Pitts.

My brother and I have always been into racing. Loud, fast etc.

I enjoy renting boats to ride around and/or just doing a 'cruise' on a sailboat with a bunch of strangers. I love the silence and the feeling of power.

My brother has done the same many times, but recently got his pilots license and when he was at the airport one day and bored, he rented a ride on a glider and loved it. He said it is the flight equivalent of a sailboat. I've added that to my 'todo' list once COVID is minimally part of daily conversation.

Anyway, having enjoyed big and small plane rides, thrilled as heck at my helicopter ride, you might want to add glider to your list too.

Sandy.

My brother, he rented a ride on a glider and loved it. He said it is the flight equivalent of a sailboat. I've added that to my 'to do' list once COVID is minimally part of daily conversation.

That's on my Bucket List too. There's a sailplane group up near Raleigh that gives rides: http://www.ncsoaring.org/ and one in Upstate SC: https://www.carolinasoaring.com/

Piedmont Soaring Society also does demo rides: https://www.piedmontsoaring.net/ west of Winston Salem off I-40

Ok Sandy: lets do this. This says it's $100 for a demo ride:
https://www.piedmontsoaring.net/Home/schedule-of-fees

Last edited:
Tomorrow I report to an office area with a window! Unreasonably excited to see parking lot, buffalo grass, powerlines, and detention pond.

Last edited:
Gliders are on my bucket list too. There is a glider club who offers demo rides a less than an hour from my home. It's just a matter of time and money for me. I want to book a ride on an open cockpit biplane and aerobatic ride in a Super Decathlon available at area FBOs as well.

Gliders are on my bucket list too. There is a glider club who offers demo rides a less than an hour from my home. It's just a matter of time and money for me. I want to book a ride on an open cockpit biplane and aerobatic ride in a Super Decathlon available at area FBOs as well.

Given what my brother has said about his FBO, I imagine if people know what you do, you'll get a free ride on all three if you express interest. In his case, plane guys seem to look for an excuse to fly and once a conversation starts, the next thing you know you're strapped in and taxi'ing. I wouldn't consider that 'calling in a favor' or 'leveraging your occupation', myself, as I think the pilots are often looking for an excuse to burn fuel and when the wife asks they have a valid excuse. "Well, honey, he's a helicopter medic that is saving people and he seemed interested. . . it was the least I could do. . . " Could be different in Indiana, though. . .

Sandy

These are from a couple
Of months ago, but it is a regular sight for me this time of year from my “office”.

I took these while we were flying over north eastern Russia, near Anadyr, enroute from Hong Kong to Anchorage.

I do love my job!

Attachments

• 494C13FB-64FB-4C07-8359-F605BFF431BD.jpeg
    494C13FB-64FB-4C07-8359-F605BFF431BD.jpeg
    32.1 KB · Views: 24
  • B3F44909-1F35-4C10-B2F6-C068BDA75279.jpeg
    B3F44909-1F35-4C10-B2F6-C068BDA75279.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 23
Here's the view out of mine... IMG_20220211_182210.jpg

A few years ago we could see the museum across the street, but not anymore.

At one time, there were two signs plastered to the side of the building... With a small gap visible between them in one of our classrooms, and one ended halfway down the length of our largest classroom. When Xi Jinping came to town, they were removed, and stayed down for nearly a year (our hottest year, as this is our western wall, and the sun now had nothing but decals on the windows to block it's light from entering our classes). Now, there's one single MASSIVE sign that extends from all but about 1 meter from the end of that largest classroom all the way to the corner of the building, then wrapping itself around the front of the building and nearly block the windows from the school on that side of the building (it's only clear view outside is from the mechanical room). When the new sign was put up, window decals with our company name and phone number were left up, and greatly cut down the amount of light entering the rooms. I was the one who crawled out of the window and peeled those off so we could get max daylight.

Last edited:
Now that I'm back in my church office, here is my view, overlooking the parking lot. You can see the community theater one block over which is in the renovated downtown fire station, just to the right, and one block over, is the police station/city building. And if you keep going about sixty miles, you'll end up in Lake Erie (currently 40 percent ice covered).

Attachments

• 20220210_095240.jpg
    20220210_095240.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 13
Here's the view out of mine... View attachment 504136

A few years ago we could see the museum across the street, but not anymore.

At one time, there were two signs plastered to the side of the building... With a small gap visible between them in one of our classrooms, and one ended halfway down the length of our largest classroom. When Xi Jinping came to town, they were removed, and stayed down for nearly a year (our hottest year, as this is our western wall, and the sun now had nothing but decals on the windows to block it's light from entering our classes). Now, there's one single MASSIVE sign that extends from all but about 1 meter from the end of that largest classroom all the way to the corner of the building, then wrapping itself around the front of the building and nearly block the windows from the school on that side of the building (it's only clear view outside is from the mechanical room). When the new sign was put up, window decals with our company name and phone number were left up, and greatly cut down the amount of light entering the rooms. I was the one who crawled out of the window and peeled those off so we could get max daylight.
All hail XJ. (I said it for you case there’s any tankies here)

Warriors Over the Wasatch this weekend. Last 2 days I've been watching a lot of rehearsals: (very distracting, in a good way!) Major "Beo" Wolfe routinely distracts me in her F-35 😳😲

View attachment 524174

https://www.hill.af.mil/Warriors-Over-The-Wasatch/
You can argue over the airplanes' capabilities, and I do like the Fat Albert part of the Blue Angels' display, but for my money the Thunderbirds are the prettiest planes in the sky. (Minor thread jack over, I hope...)

Latest posts

Back