The view from your office

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not nearly as impressive as some. But it's what I get to see.

Attachments

• High plains storm 003.JPG
    High plains storm 003.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 23
  • High plains storm 061.JPG
    High plains storm 061.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 24
  • easter in tx 015.JPG
    easter in tx 015.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 26
  • elk in Wyoming 003.JPG
    elk in Wyoming 003.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 27
  • elk in Wyoming 025.JPG
    elk in Wyoming 025.JPG
    227 KB · Views: 30
  • bear hunting 2013 002.JPG
    bear hunting 2013 002.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 33
  • turkey 2014 090.JPG
    turkey 2014 090.JPG
    212 KB · Views: 31
I have probably been there 10,000 times in the past 43 years, and have never gotten to stop and see it.

Reminds me of an old pilot joke, set in the early 60's:
A British Airways pilot had just landed in Frankfurt. This was his first time at that airport, so he asked the tower for a follow-me car to lead him to the gate. The tower asked in imperious tones, "Have you never been to Frankfurt before?!" The pilot responded, "I was here 20 years ago, but I didn't land."

I can almost read your title from here, "Brake Control Systems"??? And I think I recognize TRF on 1 monitor!
Brake Control Systems Engineer. I saw this thread on one monitor, but had to get out my phone to take and post the pictures, so TRF was still there on the monitor as the photo was taken.

Reminds me of an old pilot joke, set in the early 60's:
A British Airways pilot had just landed in Frankfurt. This was his first time at that airport, so he asked the tower for a follow-me car to lead him to the gate. The tower asked in imperious tones, "Have you never been to Frankfurt before?!" The pilot responded, "I was here 20 years ago, but I didn't land."
Which reminds me of a joke. A pilot makes a request of the tower, speaking German. The tower responds that he must make his request in English. The annoyed pilot complains "I'm a German pilot, flying for a German airline, at a German airport; why do I have to make my request in English?"

Then another pilot chimes in, with an English accent, "Because you lost the bloody war."

One of the pictures appears to be Chicago?

Chicago?

Yep. That would be Chicago!

Without a doubt. I'm wondering if the other is Panama (city, in Panama), but I can't be sure. I suppose I could cheat and use the Google. ;)

Nope. I have never been to Panama. That is Hong Kong, with the former Kai Tak airport in view. I’m currently sitting in Anchorage waiting to head to LAX with a load of freight from Tokyo.
I guess I’ll say where each photo is.
The first one is over Afghanistan. We do lots of flights there, and I have been to Bagram, Kabul, Kandahar, and Mazar several times so far.
2. Over Alaska
3. Hong kong
4. Chicago
5. Hindu Kush Mts Afghanistan
6. Somewhere over the Pacific
7. Same as 6
8. Final approach into Tokyo Narita
9. Final approach into Mazar I Sharif
10. My plane on the ramp in Incheon

Yep. That would be Chicago!

Nope. I have never been to Panama. That is Hong Kong, with the former Kai Tak airport in view. I’m currently sitting in Anchorage waiting to head to LAX with a load of freight from Tokyo.
I guess I’ll say where each photo is.
The first one is over Afghanistan. We do lots of flights there, and I have been to Bagram, Kabul, Kandahar, and Mazar several times so far.
2. Over Alaska
3. Hong kong
4. Chicago
5. Hindu Kush Mts Afghanistan
6. Somewhere over the Pacific
7. Same as 6
8. Final approach into Tokyo Narita
9. Final approach into Mazar I Sharif
10. My plane on the ramp in Incheon

I never really realized how much stuff we fly until I saw the logistics for the military. Holy moly we fly a lot of stuff.

Whenever we do our military runs, I always take a peak at what we’re carrying. Some days it’s bombs and missiles, other days it’s frozen food, then other days it’s MRAPS. Never a dull moment on those flights!

Whenever we do our military runs, I always take a peak at what we’re carrying. Some days it’s bombs and missiles, other days it’s frozen food, then other days it’s MRAPS. Never a dull moment on those flights!

I was just doing the same when making a loading spreadsheet for a barge customer. It had container contents in it, so you could see everything from a street sweeper to rebar to pillows to cereal. They go from Seattle to Alaska and Hawaii.

Out my office window.......

Attachments

• IMG_9690[1].JPG
    IMG_9690[1].JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 45
The view out my office now is just the front yard. Here's what the view looked like when I was gainfully employed...

office.JPG

Looking North on a beautiful day.

OK, I'll add one more. This is the view from my pre-2018 job. The heavy lift ship is taking a floating drydock away from the shipyard next door. This was also right under the north final approach into Boeing Field in Seattle, so all the weird stuff (Air Force 1, Blue Angels, NASA Super Guppy, etc.) coming into town came in right over our heads.

IMG_0620.JPG

Most days it looks like this:

odimdVLh.jpg

Some days it looks like this:

ziMKo16h.jpg

Last week it looked like this:

STpp9KZh.jpg

Work at KFWA from 2000 to 2002, when did you start? Did I give you a vector, Victor Nate?

I didn't start flying until 2015. We have a few crew members who were working then, but not too many. I don't think any of our current pilots were with us then either. You certainly talked to one who retired 2 summers ago and is now flying a Huey again out of Grissom.

Today celebrates about a year of desking on this collapsible table in a disused room near my main project. The walls are offwhite, the floor is unpolished concrete, and the lighting can only be set either to "unfinished shop" or "merciless interrogation". There is not a window or outside door within hundreds off feet. REALLY looking forward to just casually seeing trees in the sunlight again.

Here ya go DH, hope these might help. I know last pic is not of trees, but still cool. Wolf caught, being tagged and collared.

Attachments

• elk in Wyoming 030.JPG
    elk in Wyoming 030.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 2012 bear kill photos 066.JPG
    2012 bear kill photos 066.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 2012 bear kill photos 063.JPG
    2012 bear kill photos 063.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 2012 bear kill photos 078.JPG
    2012 bear kill photos 078.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 22
  • 2012 bear kill photos 096.JPG
    2012 bear kill photos 096.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 21
  • NE turkey trip 2013 013.JPG
    NE turkey trip 2013 013.JPG
    306.1 KB · Views: 17
  • NE turkey trip 2013 040.JPG
    NE turkey trip 2013 040.JPG
    356 KB · Views: 15
  • turkey 2014 043.JPG
    turkey 2014 043.JPG
    351.3 KB · Views: 13
  • turkey 2014 087.JPG
    turkey 2014 087.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 24
  • caught wolf 008.JPG
    caught wolf 008.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 24
Wow, I can't take my eyes off those planes in the snow. If I worked in a place like this, or 20 days a month on an airplane as a mechanic, I think it would be a dream job. It's not nearly as poetic for me. I rented a small office in the coworking center where I spend my gray days. Now, in my spare time, I'm planning my new 5-inch-diameter rocket with a cool camera on board. This is what helps me to keep working as I always have something to do after the workday so I try to finish it faster. To some extent, the lack of a good view from the window increases concentration, so I'm not complaining.

Last edited:
Not a pretty or exciting as y'alls, but, just another day in the Powerhouse....
View attachment 453475
No, it ain't pretty but the lights aren't coming on without folks like you. I do most of my consulting in big power, earlier in my carreer it was more of a mix, but now largely in wind and hydro with an occasional turbo or big motor thrown in.

Back