The view from your office

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krislhull

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So, with a good majority of TRFers working from home at the moment, what’s the view like normally from your office? I work as a onboard flight mechanic for Kalitta Air, and spend 20 days at a time living onboard my aircraft, traveling the globe. Just a few views from my “office”:

51057F3A-823F-45A6-9B0E-5A7A67B021F5.jpeg
E57DDCC0-9D86-4AD2-8B67-CA61EB41B9DC.jpeg
461209C9-A7D0-48BB-9789-4F0AF866404A.jpeg
D04ADAF5-0A1B-4CFE-BA61-C3676F4A6D77.jpeg
C7AB8609-8299-450F-9ECC-4FD150E0D742.jpeg
C94D6F00-74DE-4791-BE90-A47A0D07553D.jpeg
ADE23B8C-5A2E-4669-801D-ADA11B45D234.jpeg

2D1752F9-C5AE-48B6-9C17-680C42CB7DBF.jpeg
0F6C10EC-2B5A-4E2A-8532-51C005990749.jpeg
F7473FF8-EB7C-4F83-AFE0-FB5230715013.jpeg
this last photo is my office: N715CK, a 747-400F

Those are awesome pictures.

My office is an AS365N2. Generally we are not allowed to use cell phones or cameras in flight and we usually fly around 1200' anyway, so the views aren't as impressive.

We did get a demo flight in a ship with a VIP interior earlier in the Winter and with no mission we were allowed to be distracted by technology. This was a dreary day, but typical of our view.

Attachments

• PSX_20200428_004814.jpg
    PSX_20200428_004814.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 83
  • PSX_20200428_005330.jpg
    PSX_20200428_005330.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 82
Those are awesome pictures.

My office is an AS365N2. Generally we are not allowed to use cell phones or cameras in flight and we usually fly around 1200' anyway, so the views aren't as impressive.

We did get a demo flight in a ship with a VIP interior earlier in the Winter and with no mission we were allowed to be distracted by technology. This was a dreary day, but typical of our view.
I’m not much of a chopper guy, but they sure are fun to fly in!

I’m not much of a chopper guy, but they sure are fun to fly in!

They sure are. I enjoy flying and things that fly. Someday, I'll get my pilots license, but that is another expensive hobby. In the meantime, I am trying to see how many different things I can fly in. I've been in airplanes, helicopters, and a hot air balloon. I really want to go up in an open cockpit biplane and an aerobatic flight in a Pitts.

My view from the office is a lot more boring. The couch is right next to my desk, and gets a pile of pets every day while I'm working. The back yard view is just outside my window. This is a good time of year for flowers, with lilacs, quince, and bluebells all in bloom and a wisteria just starting up.
IMG_2614.JPG IMG_2611.JPG

My office is the lay-z-boy in my living room with my laptop in my lap. Problem is that since everyone knows I'm working from home, they're assuming I'm available 24/7 now. :(

My office is the lay-z-boy in my living room with my laptop in my lap. Problem is that since everyone knows I'm working from home, they're assuming I'm available 24/7 now. :(

My wife is running into that. She works half time (5 hours, 4 days a week) and likes to get everything done by 3. Her co-workers are now saying stuff like "Well, we're all working for home, so we can have this meeting any time!" My younger kid's teacher was the poster child--she let the students set the meeting time when we first closed schools, and the class voted on 9pm one day a week. The teacher was game and lives alone, but it's still a big imposition.

The curent view is not so great, but at least I have a big window I can open...even if it does open onto the "parking lot". The house is a combination elementary school, middle school, graduate school right now. Peace can only be had in the garage with noise cancelling headphones. 20200428_135853.jpg20200428_135820.jpg

I really miss my chair at work, the garage stools are killing my back.

My office is the cockpit of a Challenger 300 business jet. The company is still pretty busy with charters and running at about 80-90% capacity. My wife flies a Citation X at the same company. We're certainly grateful to be busy right now.

I hear you on the being grateful to be busy right now. I have several friends who are mechanics for various airlines, and they have either been temporarily furloughed, or are working severely reduced hours. Meanwhile, at Kalitta, we are running balls to the wall, and are running our birds at full capacity. Back in January they had a talk with us about tough times coming, and were planning to park up to 4 of our 747s, now all of that has been cancelled, and we are actually looking at trying to pick up more aircraft because we do not have the capacity our clients need. I work 20 day rotations on the aircraft, and before all of this hit, I would usually see a hotel on average every three nights. Last rotation, I went 13 days before I saw a hotel. Thank god a lot of our crew rooms have showers, lol! I just started my next rotation today, and am currently sitting on ORD waiting to pick up my bird tonight. It will be interesting to see how this rotation pans out.

I hear you on the being grateful to be busy right now. I have several friends who are mechanics for various airlines, and they have either been temporarily furloughed, or are working severely reduced hours. Meanwhile, at Kalitta, we are running balls to the wall, and are running our birds at full capacity. Back in January they had a talk with us about tough times coming, and were planning to park up to 4 of our 747s, now all of that has been cancelled, and we are actually looking at trying to pick up more aircraft because we do not have the capacity our clients need. I work 20 day rotations on the aircraft, and before all of this hit, I would usually see a hotel on average every three nights. Last rotation, I went 13 days before I saw a hotel. Thank god a lot of our crew rooms have showers, lol! I just started my next rotation today, and am currently sitting on ORD waiting to pick up my bird tonight. It will be interesting to see how this rotation pans out.
My brother is a pilot for Kalitta and he said that because so many of the passenger flights are grounded they're unable to take the cargo they used to. Apparently along with luggage there would be large cargo containers in the bellies of passenger planes. But the reduction in passenger flights means the cargo companies are picking up the slack, and you guys are benefitting.

My brother is a pilot for Kalitta and he said that because so many of the passenger flights are grounded they're unable to take the cargo they used to. Apparently along with luggage there would be large cargo containers in the bellies of passenger planes. But the reduction in passenger flights means the cargo companies are picking up the slack, and you guys are benefitting.

Thats true. A lot of passenger airlines almost make more money from hauling cargo in the bellies than from carrying passengers. Belly cargo is a big revenue stream for airlines. So much so, that several passenger airlines are flying some planes empty with just cargo. I heard someone say that Delta was pulling seats out of a few planes and carrying cargo instead bulk packed in the cabin instead. Ive seen photos of a few foreign carriers packing boxes in the seats and so forth.

I'm very cautiously back in the office. From my chair, I have these views to the right and left.
PSX_20200428_175014.jpgPSX_20200428_175059.jpg
Through those windows I have, again right and left:
PSX_20200428_175115.jpgPSX_20200428_175129.jpg

Between that hill and those houses is the Canisteo River, which I used to be able to see when I sat on the second floor.

At home my view out the window was onto the three season porch.

My office is the cockpit of a Challenger 300 business jet. The company is still pretty busy with charters and running at about 80-90% capacity. My wife flies a Citation X at the same company. We're certainly grateful to be busy right now.

If you are ever at KGWB, we might be there. We have a large 2 bay hangar, but we should be relocating back to the hospital until Winter rolls around again soon.

PSX_20200428_184013.jpg

Well, this isn't the view from my office, this is a view of my home office. View out the window is pretty, though, overlooking the valley of the Ohio River. As you may be able to guess, I flightsim every once in awhile. The main desk is currently occupied by my work computer, a 3 monitor setup, so pretty crowded.

DSCN3398.JPG

I flew into Chicago a few months ago and love the scene from a plane. Not too keen on walking the streets, but love the sight and city.

I drove through it once on I-90 west bound many years ago. It was night and raining lightly. I was looking for a likely looking exit to find a motel, but I wouldn't have dared slow down to exit even if I'd spotted one. 50 mph and ½-car length spacing, white knuckles all the way. I ended up in a motel in Wisconsin.

I drove from Mn to south of Ft. Wayne on Super Bowl Sunday, in a blizzard a few years back. Best drive I have ever had going through Chicago. It was just me and a couple more idiots out there.

Chicago is a pain for us to fly a patient in, there is just a ton of air traffic to deal with and we have to relay medical reports to our destination through another HAA agency. I'm glad we don't transfer people in there too often.

Other than that, it's a great city. If we go to visit family and friends, we take the train in. A weekend CTA pass is only a little more than parking for a few hours somewhere.

I remember that storm! I was working on our MICU ambulance in the middle of it. A furniture store ended up giving away a ton of free furniture during a promotion betting against the snowfall.

Back