The Vertigo Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
(I apologize in advance to the dial-uppers) Edit: A link to the images has been created to spare the "dial-uppers." ;) - Eugene

This is my Vertigo rocket. I designed it in 2001 and it first flew in 2002. The rocket is made from Hawk Mountain 3" filament wound fiberglass tubing. The nose was custom made by Shadow Composites of Lake Tahoe, CA from carbon/kevlar hybrid cloth. The fin can is a first-generation Doc Von Karbon piece. The rocket also features a 6061 aluminum electronics bay and motor retainer machined by fellow ROC member Bill Seiders and myself. There is over 20 hours of machining work on the rocket. The paint job was done by Ray Nichols of Culver City, CA. The red is House of Kolor Red Kandy Brandywine and the flames are PPG Halequin color-shifting paint. The nose and fin can were covered in 7 coats of PPG clear coat. The rocket has flown several times on H through K motors to altitiudes of over 10,000 feet. This rocket has been appraised at $10,000 and is currently retired.

<a href="https://www.team-thor.com/misc/vertigo_small.jpg">Picture of Vertigo rocket</a>

If you would like to see a small Quicktime movie of Vertigo flying on a K1100 follow this link:
https://www.team-thor.com/misc/vertigo.mov

Vertigo was stolen from my house by burglars early in the morning in July 2003. It was recovered 3 months later in a backyard about a mile away. Here's a scan of a newspaper article written about the theft and recovery. It appeared in the California section of the Los Angeles Times in September 2003.

<a href="https://www.team-thor.com/misc/newspaper.jpg">LA Times newspaper image</a>

(The Times embellished the performance potential of Vertigo just a little. Read the caption.)

Wow. Glad to see you got it back. If you take it out of retirement don't forget to post a launch pic.

LA Times newspaper image

Bummer... like the real newspapers... I can not find B11 :(. Somebody must of used that page to line the birdcage....

Do you have a scan of page B11?

Great looking rocket :). I love the takeoff with the K1100. Main at Apogee? How far did you have to walk for that one?

Originally posted by n3tjm
Bummer... like the real newspapers... I can not find B11 :(. Somebody must of used that page to line the birdcage....

Do you have a scan of page B11?

Great looking rocket :). I love the takeoff with the K1100. Main at Apogee? How far did you have to walk for that one?
I have the rest of the article at home. I might be able to scan it later. I didn't have to walk at all. We used a car. ;)

Its a good looking bird but what is that pad made of? The legs looks like B-Line B22SH

Rocket Appraisal - Who did you get to do a appraisal for you.

I wonder what my rag tag fleet would be worth.

Scott

Ozymandias,

Would you be so kind as to direct me to pictures of this rocket?

(the links don't work)

Thank you

Back