The upscale I've always wanted to see...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PunkRocketScience

Reaction score
I'm looking for some ideas for rockets to do a semi large upscale on for some time in the next year...

What model have you always wanted to see upscaled to a ridiculous size?:y:

Xarconian Destroyer...

And Estes Gyroc..

OOOH and I'd like to see Claudia Schiffer.... at any scale! oh wait thats a SUPER model...lol

You can see her here (Not adult pics or anything like that but may be almost NSFW Mods if thats too far, just remove the link)

Last edited:
Well I had been dreaming about doing one in particular for a long times, but someone beat me to it. :D

[YOUTUBE]<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/E4l2aFkZ_VM&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/E4l2aFkZ_VM&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

MarkII

Well, I was planning on upscaling the Estes Hyperion, but I just do not have the $$$. Now one based on a 12" tube, which would require something like a 24" or 30" bottom ring tube(I have not done the math, just a guess). Nevertheless, that would be intriguing.

I would like to see the old Estes Birdie upscaled to about 20 feet tall.

And a matching badminton raquet to go with it.

A Fliskits Acme Spitfire! :) That would surely get some attention done MEGA sized!:y: :D

I second the ACME Spitfire! Also, an Estes Renegade.

If not an upscale, maybe an intresting "that'll never fly" design... (please excuse the quality, it was drawn in 30 seconds.)

vertigo.GIF

I have plans and parts to do a few upscales already, including the original Estes Mini-Brute Combo and some FSI designs. Another one that I really want to upscale is the Astron Starlight. None of them could really be called "ridiculous" upscales, though.

MarkII

Last edited:
How about one of Edmonds gliders!

Or this cool looking rocket from Squirrel Works:

SQ-SW-018.jpg

Most of my upscale decisions start with whether or not I can get a nose cone in the required shape. I look at available cones, and then think of what designs I can upscale that would use them. The scale of an available nose cone determines the scale factor of the rocket I will build.

MarkII

Last time we bought it, a 12 foot section of 24" diameter tube was $80, and 12" was about $45.

You can buy shorter lengths, but unless you're buying really short, it's often cheaper to just buy the whole tube -- the cut charges can make it almost as expensive to buy a few feet as it is to buy the whole tube.

-Kevin (who has probably used about 100 feet of the stuff on rocketry projects)

I second the ACME Spitfire!

It's been done. A team from Fort Wayne, IN flew theirs at the NSL in Muncie a couple years ago on a sparky M. Worked perfectly.

(Aside: Once the local fire department hosed down the launch pad area, I was a lot less nervous about the flight.)

I'm looking for some ideas for rockets to do a semi large upscale on for some time in the next year...

What model have you always wanted to see upscaled to a ridiculous size?:y:

An Estes K-44 Birdie.

I have sketches for one that is about 5X scale, however it is way down on my list. a 6' tall M powered shuttlecock would be just kind of cool.

The Estes Andromeda. The huge ones I have seen are unbelievable. I'm trying to get the CAD done for a Battlestar Galactica Colonial Fighter scaled up from the Monogram plastic kit. I want to make a "movie model" and not just upscale the Estes version. The hard part is the recovery. I am thinking of a single 54mm motormount in the fuselage with rear eject for drogue at the top "engine pod" with dual parachutes in the lower pair of pods. It seemed like a great idea when I started but it has gotten complicated. I just think a 4 foot long Colonial viper on a J425 would look cool.

The Estes Andromeda. The huge ones I have seen are unbelievable. I'm trying to get the CAD done for a Battlestar Galactica Colonial Fighter scaled up from the Monogram plastic kit. I want to make a "movie model" and not just upscale the Estes version. The hard part is the recovery. I am thinking of a single 54mm motormount in the fuselage with rear eject for drogue at the top "engine pod" with dual parachutes in the lower pair of pods. It seemed like a great idea when I started but it has gotten complicated. I just think a 4 foot long Colonial viper on a J425 would look cool.

Not to try and steal the thread. but is there any interest in a set of PRINTED UPSCALED BSG viper decals? I just did a set for some friends in the UK. at 4x upscale. AWESOME! since I have the file now, nice and cleaned up I am thinking of addin it to my website.

As for the andromeda, I have seen a 2.0" version. I think a 5.5 or 7.5" would ROCK!

As for the andromeda, I have seen a 2.0" version. I think a 5.5 or 7.5" would ROCK!

Quick mental math gives me 27 feet and change for the 7.5" verion... :eyepop: and yes, that would ROCK!

How about the Estes Galactic Taxi or Delta Wedge? Those would be impressive at 5.5" (or more) :D

The USS Sarah Connor.

Dude... That would be awesome! I've not been running in the mainstream here on TRF as much as I once did, but are the patterns available for it? I looked back through the archives and only found Sandman's John Connor...

The USS Sarah Connor.

Those pods would likely take quite a beating on landing whether it's done as a model or a beast. But it'd be more than worth it just having one of those in the fleet!

Those pods would likely take quite a beating on landing whether it's done as a model or a beast. But it'd be more than worth it just having one of those in the fleet!

OK I got to make the bad joke......

If its like the X-15 it will come in nose first no problems with the pods LOL

Sorry I just had to.

I designed it, but my file is corrupt so I'd have to rebuild it. It was modeled in Lightwave 3D.

Back