The 'TRF Traveling Box 'o Parts' thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrracer

Reaction score
I've seen it done in other groups and forums and haven't seen one here yet. So pending approval I'd like to head up the project.

Breakdown:

Ill grab a middle sized box, throw half a dozen or so items in said box.
Possibilities ( 29/100 motor case, couple parachutes, a motor adapter, a motor retainer, non hazmat/non cert sized motors, a nose cone, ect.)

Members will sign up, via forum thread.

EX:
Billy
Tim
John
Ken

A running list will be edited to the original thread first post.

The first signed up (billy) person will PM me their address and I will ship them the TRF Traveler.
Once they receive the box they pick an item or items, and then they throw a few of their own items in.
Billy puts in a 38mm aft closure, an Estes size kit, shock cord and a bag of dog barf. He took the motor retainer and the nose cone.

Billy messages me to get the address for then next person [tim} and sends me a photo of the contents. ( to protect other participants and possibly to add to the box.)

Billy then sends the box to tim.

tim takes X places Y in the box, messages me for the next persons address sends the photo, and ships the traveler to john.

and so on.

Pay it forward shipping, It was shipped to you for free you ship it to the next person, free.

couple rules:

Don't be THAT guy. If you plan to take everything or most of the things and just ship it on. We don't want you here. Move along.
Must be a member longer that 90 days and over 100 "messages"
Lower 48 only sorry guys.
Please be able and willing to turn the box around in 2 or 3 days to keep it moving.
Members can receive the Traveler multiple times if they would like but please mind others.

Pending admin/ forum approval and the first person to take the dive, I can ship the traveler Monday.

@n27sb I got your PM you are first in line. Ill get the Traveler started tonight and get it shipped out to you tomorrow. (Tuesday)
HOORAY!!

Current order:
n27sb

Great! I did this a few years ago.. I think we called it 'Box pass'.. Some great things got exchanged!

Not going to participate, but had planned to do one at some point (I am outside "the lower 48")

Feel free to pass along any tips or tricks!

I found it easier to get everyone's address before hand, print up a set of address labels, and put that list, with a note (that stayed in the box) of the intended shipping / receipeint order. You then know, ahead of time, the route it would take (and you can plan for efficiency: not having to go: NY-CA-PE-NV-VT. Also helped keep track of where it should be.

When you 'seed' the box, put in some candies unique to your area, to share with the recipients!! I did a chocolate bar box pass once. that was fun, was also some-what "international" (UK, CAN, US)!

Take out / put in equally valued things. One I did a dozen years ago, included a sailor (Ice breaker). The initiator knew thins, and had made him the last recipient, and ad a note in the box to us all, to say that the last recipient was 'ar sea (Lake Superior actually) for a few months and that this box was "his" at the end. SO, he got a very fine section of cigars!

This seems like something I could easily contribute to. The missus will be very happy to see me sending OUT rocket parts.

Have you considered throwing a LPR in there? We had a a smaller plane we passed around the US in an RC forum and flew it in every state. Could be fun to do the same with a small rocket.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sho...s-America-2008-(WAA-08)-History-In-The-Making

I was part of that on FG years ago (I started FG with Max and several others - same screen name). One was going on FG and one on RCG. Cant remember who did it first. By the time it got to me it was pretty banged up... but flew. It would be cool to do it with a rocket.

I was part of that on FG years ago (I started FG with Max and several others - same screen name). One was going on FG and one on RCG. Cant remember who did it first. By the time it got to me it was pretty banged up... but flew. It would be cool to do it with a rocket.
I had no idea they did one over on FG. That’s awesome, I loved Flying Giants.

I’m not sure how well a rocket would hold up, but IIRC I think the WAA plane was patched back together a few times. I’d imagine most landings would be better with the rocket. 😅

Have you considered throwing a LPR in there? We had a a smaller plane we passed around the US in an RC forum and flew it in every state. Could be fun to do the same with a small rocket.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sho...s-America-2008-(WAA-08)-History-In-The-Making

The idea sounds cool but I don't know how long the Traveler would get hung up for a launch. I don't think we want the box to stay in one place that long I was hoping for a two or three day turn around. Plus no one wants to fly my junk lol. If someone gets the box and starts it I can't stop them, lol. = D

I’m not sure how well a rocket would hold up, but IIRC I think the WAA plane was patched back together a few times. I’d imagine most landings would be better with the rocket. 😅
'
Its so funny how close the hobbies are related.
I Had a 40% carden edge 540 with a dle 180 on it. Its so true the bigger they are the better they fly! Ive been poking around looking at hemple 50% cub. We had a few club members that were talking about joint ownership of one. I think there was 4 of us, but the plan just fizzled out unfortunately.

The list as of now stands at:
@n27sb
@prfesser
@dhbarr
@Tobor
@Wally Ferrer

please send me your address! Via PM

I’ve included a blurry photo of the start the traveler for kicks and giggles. Hopefully everyone can find something fun or useful. Just an FYI the box has rocket stuff plus some other stuff.
At some point I’ll add myself into the list.

Attachments

• 5DD67F7B-F8E6-4389-B2D6-BDF41B28B572.jpeg
    5DD67F7B-F8E6-4389-B2D6-BDF41B28B572.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 35
'
Its so funny how close the hobbies are related.
I Had a 40% carden edge 540 with a dle 180 on it. Its so true the bigger they are the better they fly! Ive been poking around looking at hemple 50% cub. We had a few club members that were talking about joint ownership of one. I think there was 4 of us, but the plan just fizzled out unfortunately.
I had a 3.2M JTEC Extra for a bit... loved flying it, but I don’t think I was ever totally comfortable with the ~40% planes. Never dug one in though, so it worked out 😆. Those Cubs are absolutely wild, basically a radio controlled ultralight at that point.

I had a 3.2M JTEC Extra for a bit... loved flying it, but I don’t think I was ever totally comfortable with the ~40% planes. Never dug one in though, so it worked out 😆. Those Cubs are absolutely wild, basically a radio controlled ultralight at that point.

i never crashed my carden either I think about half a dozen people took the controls on its maiden flight, It sure was ugly but it was fun. Ill have to dig up a picture.

six years ago.
bought it used I’m almost sure it was/is nearly older than me. I’d be curious to know where it is today.

Attachments

• 5E8F38D5-F6BF-4691-8470-BC4A922E1CF3.jpeg
    5E8F38D5-F6BF-4691-8470-BC4A922E1CF3.jpeg
    286.8 KB · Views: 38

i dont doubt it on the landings. By the time I got “Tiny the airplane.” I think it was more glue than foam!

small world. I flew for JTec for years. 3.1 Extra and a Dalton 300 next to it. Over 2000 flights on that JTec extra flying Unlimited and 3D all over the country.

DEF44E7E-6A77-4CB1-A377-6B1D2644A7DA.jpeg

The idea sounds cool but I don't know how long the Traveler would get hung up for a launch. I don't think we want the box to stay in one place that long I was hoping for a two or three day turn around. Plus no one wants to fly my junk lol. If someone gets the box and starts it I can't stop them, lol. = D

Maybe a fibergless LPR, like something from Mach 1 Rocketry? This would need to tour the country in it's own box, separate from "The Traveler". Maybe call this one "The Wanderer"?

Maybe a fibergless LPR, like something from Mach 1 Rocketry? This would need to tour the country in it's own box, separate from "The Traveler". Maybe call this one "The Wanderer"?
A Mach 1 fiberglass LPR is a very good choice for something like this.

I believe TRF had one of these touring rockets in the past; eventually it either got lost or someone just failed to forward it, I can't remember. I recall hearing about it 3,4,5 years ago, something like that, although I could be hallucinating.

Back