The TRF Cookbook

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another great one to learn the "why's" when you are cooking is Alton Brown on the Food Network (host of Good Eats) and Chef Michael Smith also teaches you how to "twist" a recipe to your tastes...

Brown is awesome.

Mike

POWER BREAKFAST:

1 bowl oatmeal, made creamy with whole milk
2 tbsp peanut butter
2 tsp honey
1 banana, sliced
cinnamon to taste

Mix in serving bowl and enjoy with strong, black coffee. You'll feel like you have a nuclear reactor powering you through the day! I started carrying my car to work just to save gas!

I love crab cakes:

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/maryland-crab-cakes/
That recipe is a favorite.

Very similar to the recipe I use. Mine has fresh white bread crumbs in place of the cracker crumbs, but the goal is the same, to minimize everything that isn't crab. Just enough stuff to hold it together until the hot oil can set it. I grew up in MD, and it is difficult to impossible to get what I consider a passible crab cake in many areas (particularly Dallas). It's like the word "lump" and "shredded" are interchangeable or something.

That just made my mouth water!
Thanks Tom..
My wife made macaroni salad with gluten free pasta for the side..
Came out smokin..
Get it,,
"smokin"..
Awww forget it..

There's no way you get many 60 degree days in February up by you,, do you ??

Teddy

Very similar to the recipe I use. Mine has fresh white bread crumbs in place of the cracker crumbs, but the goal is the same, to minimize everything that isn't crab. Just enough stuff to hold it together until the hot oil can set it. I grew up in MD, and it is difficult to impossible to get what I consider a passible crab cake in many areas (particularly Dallas). It's like the word "lump" and "shredded" are interchangeable or something.

Thank you for the alternative suggestions. I will try the white bread crumbs.

Thanks Tom..
My wife made macaroni salad with gluten free pasta for the side..
Came out smokin..
Get it,,
"smokin"..
Awww forget it..

There's no way you get many 60 degree days in February up by you,, do you ??

Teddy
Not too many. Today was near 60, sunny and beautiful. Made a trip up the Columbia Gorge to HoodRiver and spent the day drooling over the vintage planes, cat and trucks at WAAAM, inspired by a few post in “post a picture. News is forecasting snow again by Monday. We”ll see how that turns out.
I really need to get a smoker and get busy with some special mea treats again. Last smoker was a 100$ freebie, burned up while I was attempting to make some pork belly candy.

Not too many. Today was near 60, sunny and beautiful. Made a trip up the Columbia Gorge to HoodRiver and spent the day drooling over the vintage planes, cat and trucks at WAAAM, inspired by a few post in “post a picture. News is forecasting snow again by Monday. We”ll see how that turns out.
I really need to get a smoker and get busy with some special mea treats again. Last smoker was a 100$ freebie, burned up while I was attempting to make some pork belly candy.
WAAAM looks like a very interesting place. I checked it out on Google Maps & even had a look around inside. I discovered some time ago that many places like museums can be viewed & sometimes toured internally.

If you are in Satellite mode I zoom in & then grab the little guy in the lower right and move him over a museum building you will see little blue circles which are places a 360 degree photo was taken. Sometimes when you put the little guy over a building you will see blue lines. This means that you can actually move your viewpoint around inside of a building. A cool feature of Google Maps.

Off work the whole weekend but my wife has to work. I figure I might as well eat my fill of higher quality junk food and relax. Lunch is some simple but fiery ramen. Samyang Buldak 2x with some added chicken. I'm making spicy chicken breast sandwiches for dinner and have some dough rising and resting for deep dish pizza tomorrow.

PSX_20220311_121055.jpg

Spicy Chicken Sandwiches

I'm still tweaking the spice blend I use taking a lot of inspiration from Nashville Hot Chicken recipes as I have posted above.

Brine:

2 cups water
2 Tablespoon Salt
2 Tablespoon sugar
2 Tablespoon Frank's Red Hot

Hot Oil

2 Tablespoon Cayenne Pepper
1 Tablespoon Ghost Pepper Powder
1 Tablespoon Smoked Paprika
1/2 Tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Mixed together, then bloomed for about 30 seconds in 3 Tablespoons Hot oil and stirred into a paste.

Breading:

Flour with salt, pepper and Cayenne. I didn't measure it.

Start with thinly sliced chicken breast or butterfly a thicker one. Pound it out to an even thickness if you have to. Brine the chicken for an hour, then dry it off. Some places brine chicken in pickle juice. I might try it with the juice from pickled jalapeño peppers next time.

I then brushed the dried chicken with Melinda's Ghost Pepper Hot Sauce (I'm getting addicted to this stuff, Meijer stores sell it for about $3 a bottle), dredged in the flour and allow to rest for 10 minutes.

Dredge the chicken in the flour mixed again and fry. I usually pan fry, deep frying gets better results but it's messy.

Once the chicken is done, drain it on some paper towels and brush both sides with the hot oil.

I drizzled this with a little bit of Hot honey and served on a toasted bun. I wish I would have made a batch of my jalapeño cole slaw as a topping. Way, way better than a drive through and you can dial in the hot peppers to your own taste.

PSX_20220311_180055.jpg

If you're not familiar with super hots, wear gloves and wash your hands before you use the restroom.

Mom's Good Icing

It's actually what my mother would have made if she could...her version was too sweet and rather gritty from confectioner's sugar. If you're diabetic but still like to cheat occasionally, this is not too sweet, fluffy and light, and has zero fat. Makes a very large amount, over a half-inch on a 13x9 cake. Requires a decent hand mixer or stand mixer and a proper thermometer.

1 1/4 cups sugar
1/3 cup water
1-2 tbsp corn syrup
3 egg whites at room temperature
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp vanilla (or other desired flavoring)

Mix sugar, water, and corn syrup in a microwave-safe (glass preferably) container. Cook at high for 3-6 minutes (depends on the microwave), stirring occasionally, until it reaches the hard ball stage, 260 F. Mix egg whites and cream of tartar at medium low for about 30 seconds, then beat at high until soft peaks are formed. Slowly pour hot syrup into the egg whites, beating until all is added and stiff peaks are formed. Add vanilla and continue beating until frosting holds its shape. It will keep for about a day. Roughly 80-90 calories per serving.

I grilled some Thai style Chicken thighs this evening. Recipe found here: https://www.seriouseats.com/Thai-style-grilled-chicken-recipe
It was quite delicious with little heat from the white pepper in the marinade, but should be approachable for most people. I couldn't find Bird's Eye peppers for the sauce without going to the International Grocery, so I used Serrano peppers instead.

PSX_20220529_191240.jpg

Here's a hard one for you guys. Steak.

1. Buy steak from your favorite meat counter, butcher shop, or your buddy's cow.

2. Light grill.

3. Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper.

4. Cook steak on grill.

PSX_20220710_205342.jpg

Tonight's dinner.
Shrimp and asparagus tempura.
With rice and shoyu (soy sauce).
1207221942[1].jpg

1. Buy a box of tempura batter mix from the grocery store.
2. Heat oil in a deep fryer.
3. Wash asparagus, Snap off the woody part of the stalk.
4. Shell and devein the shrimp.
5. Combine the batter mix and cold water according to instructions. I used chilled seltzer water instead, makes the crust crispier.
6. Batter and fry the asparagus, Dip the shrimp in the batter then coat with panko crumbs. then fry.
Ono grindz.

Want something reasonably filling, very low in fat, low calories, high in flavor and good carbs? We leave off the bacon and it's still great. Wife and elder daughter snarf up leftovers before I can do so.

Chicken Bean Soup
  • 8 slices center cut bacon, chopped (opt)
  • 1 large onion, minced
  • 1 pound ground chicken/turkey or boneless breast/thighs, chopped
  • 3 cans (15 oz each) Great Northern (or white chili or other white) Beans, undrained
  • 8 oz Salsa Verde
  • 4 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
  • 4 cloves Garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 1 tsp Ground Cumin
  • 1 tsp Ground Coriander
  • 1 tsp Dried Oregano
  • Chicken base
Instructions

Saute onion, either with bacon or in a little oil. Chop bacon.

Add the chicken and break apart to fully cook. Be sure to use any juices from the chicken to deglaze the pot as it cooks.

Add the remaining ingredients and stir everything together.

Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for about 30 minutes or longer.

Salt (better yet, add chicken base, gives great flavor) and pepper to taste. Top with cilantro, avocado, jalapeño, sour cream, fat free Greek yogurt, cheese, what have you. Serve with tortilla chips, if desired.

Last edited:
Prfesser's Chili Soup

Real chili is best described as a stew. This isn't chili, it's a low-calorie, low-fat mixture with chili flavor. (Ever looked at the nutrition label of canned chili? Ye gods and little fishes, the fat!!) Add some good sourdough or hard rolls with olive oil (saute minced garlic in the oil! You're welcome!), and a salad, for a meal.

Ingredients

1 lb lean (85% or 90%) ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp paprika
2-4 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
2 or 3 15-oz. cans chili hot beans, undrained
1 15-oz can diced tomatoes
1 15-oz can tomato sauce
Beef base to taste

Saute beef until nicely browned---for best flavor it should not be burnt but should have a nice hard crust over a lot of the surface. Add the onion, paprika, chili powder, and cumin a couple of minutes before browning is complete. Just before it's done, scrape a small part of the pan clean with a spatula and add the garlic, mixing it about for around 30 seconds. Do not burn the garlic. (May want to blot up any excess fat with paper towels.)

Add remaining ingredients. I use at least a heaping tablespoon of beef base. More expensive than boullion cubes but far, far more flavorful.

Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes up to 3-4 hours. I've not done this but a few tbsp of masa harina mixed with water is said to be a good thickener. Of course you can top it with cheese, chives, sour cream, cilantro, tortilla chips, what-have-you. If it needs more salt, add more beef base instead.

In the meantime:

Sesame tuna with bok choy and shiitake

(From "The Everyday Low-Carb Slow Cooker Cookbook" by Broihier and Mayone.

Marinade:
1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 tbsp minced garlic
3 tbsp sake
3 tbsp soy sauce
1/4 c. toasted sesame oil
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp. Splenda

Fish:
2 lbs. tuna steaks or salmon fillets
3/4 lb. shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced, stems removed
1 head bok choy, washed and thinly sliced
Optional: 1 tbsp. toasted sesame seeds

1. Mix together all of the marinade ingredients and pour into a zip lock bag or glass dish. Add fish and make sure it's well coated with the marinade. Place bag in refrigerator and let marinate for up to an hour.

2. Place the shiitake mushrooms into the slow cooker. Top with the white bok choy pieces, followed by the leafy pieces. Place the fish over the vegetables and pour the marinade over all.

3. Cover and cook on LOW for four hours. To serve, fill individual bowls with the vegetables then top with fish and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds, if desired.

My substitutions:
Grated ginger instead of minced
Garlic powder for minced garlic
Salmon for tuna.
Dried shiitake mushrooms, reconstituted
Mirin for sake (mirin is made from brewed malted rice)
Three baby bok choy for bok choy
Did not use any sweetener.
Furikake (seasoning sprinkles) on the fish instead of toasted sesame seeds.

0903231852a[1].jpg

John's Buttermilk Biscuits

Preheat your oven to 450F (Don't ask me what that is in Celsius. Don't know and don't care. This is a Southern recipe, y'all.)

1 Cup all-purpose flour
1 Cup bread flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup (1 stick) butter, cold
3/4 cup buttermilk

Mix the dry ingredients together. You can sift them, if you'd like. I just usually stick my hand in and swirl them around a bit. Using a knife or a pastry blade (aka "bench scraper'), cut your butter up into smaller pieces. Then, using either a fork or a pastry blender, cut the cold butter into the dry ingredients until well blended. Add the buttermilk and mix until all the flour is wetted out and you have a slightly sticky ball of dough. Knead the dough for about a minute or two. Too much kneading makes the biscuits tougher. Not enough, and they'll fall apart when you try to spread butter and/or preserves on them. You'll have to experiment to figure out how long to knead based on how you want your biscuits. Once you're done kneading, roll the dough out to about 3/4" thick and cut into biscuit rounds with either a glass (jelly jars work great, after you're done with the jelly) or a biscuit cutter.

Bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly golden. Spread with butter and your favorite preserves, or sandwich a patty of breakfast sausage between the halves. Or, you can make the next recipe, and pour it over the biscuits:

John's Sawmill Gravy

Now, if you're worried about your cholesterol, what in tarnation are you reading this recipe for?

16 oz of your favorite breakfast sausage. I use Holyfield Farms Mo'Pepa sausage, but that's a Covington, GA thing
1 Tbl butter (salted, unsalted, don't matter)
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup chicken stock (I use chicken bullion powder and 1 cup hot water)
3 1/2 cups whole milk (don't use 2%, 1%, or skim milk, you need the fat content) or more, as needed
salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
Optional: Hot pepper sauce to taste

Scramble your sausage in a big skillet until it's cooked all the way through and is nicely browned. You want plenty of "fond" (the cooked food particles left in the pan), which will add flavor to the gravy. Add the onion powder, garlic powder, and butter. If you don't want to add butter, you can add bacon grease, instead. (You *do* have a can of bacon grease on the stove, don't you? Y'know, I actually saw bacon grease for sale in the local Kroger and Walmart. In the South. Really? Who doesn't save bacon grease in the South? Bless their hearts!)

Sprinkle the flour over the sausage and cook until it is a light tan, just enough to take the "raw flour" taste out, about 1 to 2 minutes.

Add the chicken stock and deglaze the fond off the bottom of the pan, making sure to scrape up all those brown bits. This is a major part of your flavor! Simmer until stock is absorbed and it thickens, about another 1 to 2 minutes. Add the milk and stir until gravy is hot and bubbly. If the gravy gets too thick, add a bit more milk.

Serve over biscuits (see above).

Back