The TRF Cookbook

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Entered into the competition for the least helpful recipe ever:

Bao Loaf

Make a double batch of Aunt Alvera's crescent rolls
Brown some onions, add garlic, veggies, and protein of your choice
Once the veggies are slightly soft, add a sauce made from one third hoisin sauce, one third pomegranate molasses, and one third that spicy plum sauce we make, and cook until protein is done

Grease a 9x13 pan, roll out half of the crescent roll dough and lay it in the bottom. Spread the protein/veg mixture over that and put the other layer of dough on top. Bake at 350 until bread is done.

Decoding slightly: Crescent roll dough = cinnamon roll dough before adding the cinnamon-sugar filling and the hoisin/plum monstrosity = BBQ sauce. This basically becomes sloppy joes with the filling baked into the buns.

Bao Loaf

Once the veggies are slightly soft, add a sauce made from one third hoisin sauce, one third pomegranate molasses, and one third that spicy plum sauce we make, and cook until protein is done

Grease a 9x13 pan, roll out half of the crescent roll dough and lay it in the bottom. Spread the protein/veg mixture over that and put the other layer of dough on top. Bake at 350 until bread is done.

Decoding slightly: Crescent roll dough = cinnamon roll dough before adding the cinnamon-sugar filling and the hoisin/plum monstrosity = BBQ sauce. This basically becomes sloppy joes with the filling baked into the buns.

We make something vaguely similar, deli lunchmeat and cheese in a homemade bread dough. Roll out a rectangle, lay slices of cheese down the center, lay meat slices on top of the cheese, fold the two sides over, seal, allow to rise, bake. Cheese keeps the dough from getting gummy from the water/steam generated by the meat.

Bao Loaf

Kind of sounds like something we had as kids in our school lunches called “surprise burgers” It was basically a bun forming the pocket that had seasoned ground beef and onions in it prior to baking. We used to inject gobs of ketchup then eat. Back in the days when school lunches were actually a lunch and not the processed junk offered now.

I love ketchup.
Put em on scrambled eggs.
Otherwise they're so blah.
But the red in the buns is food coloring from the char siu.
Now I'm getting hungry.
Bye.

I have 2 pork roasts all ready for the oven on Thursday..
The longer you let them sit in the marinade,, the better..

1608594020338.png

Teddy

In a merger of the cookbook thread and the Kitchenaid mixer thread, here's what's rising right now:

Reva's Rye Bread (from The Best Cookery of the Middle West by Grace Grosvenor Clark)*

1 cup rye flour
2 1/4 cups water
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup dark molasses
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp anise (or caraway**)
1/4 cup (approx) candied orange/orange peel, chopped (this isn't in the recipe, but it makes it better. We use the candied oranges from Trader Joe's, the better part of a packet.)
8 cups white flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cake (2 tsp) yeast in 1/2 cup warm water
1 Tbsp shortening or oil

Scald rye flour with 2 cups hot water and beat until smooth. Scald milk. Let both cool and add remaining ingredients. The dough will be soft but not sticky. Let rise and knead, rise again, and set into pan [I would let it rise a bit after shaping, and we usually make oval or round loaves on a baking sheet instead of using a loaf pan]. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Yields 3 loaves, perfect for a Christmas smorgasbord.

I did most of the mixing in our tilt-top Kitchenaid, but had to add a little flour to get it the right texture. The last bit of kneading was on the countertop.

* We jokingly call this the Republican Cookbook, though we also recognize that the author was almost certainly a Roosevelt Democrat. The author was a home ec teacher at a Midwestern college for years, and these are the recipes she used in class. The great thing about the book is that all of the recipes work the first time without a lot of faffing about. Most recipes also come with a little story about who she got the recipe from or how she likes to serve it. It's also surprisingly progressive (in terms of diversity of food and general healthfulness of the menus) for a cookbook published in 1955.

** If you're the kind of monster who likes caraway. :D

Wow boat,,
Homemade rye bread !!!!!
That really looks great..
I have intentions of trying my hand at Italian bread tomorrow..
I've got to google up a recipe that looks good..

Teddy

It's an easy recipe to make. The only "drawback" is that it makes a metric crapton* of bread. If you think that's a problem, that is.

* The technical unit. This will make either two large or three medium size loaves.

It's an easy recipe to make. The only "drawback" is that it makes a metric crapton* of bread. If you think that's a problem, that is.

* The technical unit. This will make either two large or three medium size loaves.

That's ok..
That's how I like to cook..
So there's some to give to others..

I'd sure love to try that recipe..

Teddy

Found an easy to prepare dinner in a recent Backwoodsman magazine. From an article on Depression-era recipes--The Poor Man's Meal. Requires potato, onion, hot dogs, salsa/tomato sauce, and cooking oil. I've substituted cheap smoked sausage or Polish sausage for hot dogs. Reheats well. I've made it twice already.

Aaaaand that’s a wrap. They’re not the most uniform shape but they’ll eat just fine.

Attachments

• DB72F8BA-E7CA-40A3-82F6-6B7D8948275A.jpeg
    DB72F8BA-E7CA-40A3-82F6-6B7D8948275A.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 8
Christmas time is Scandinavian bread time in our family. Right now my dearly beloved has a batch of julekake (yoo luh kock uh) underway.

Dissolve together:
1 cup lukewarm milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cardamom (the critical ingredient)
1 packet (1 Tbsp) yeast

Let sit a few minutes and then mix in
2 Tbsp butter
1 egg
1-2 cups chopped dried fruit (dates, raisins, apricots, craisins, anything you’ve got)

Mix in 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 cups flour to make a soft dough. Rise until double, shape into a loaf pan, and rise again. Bake 30-40 minutes at 350. If desired, frost with a sugar glaze.

Inauthentic, unhealthy and stupid-easy chicken enchiladas.

(2) 12.5 oz canned chicken

1 can each
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Cream of Chicken Soup
Rotel

1 enchilada sauce pack or 3 Tbs enchilada seasoning.
1/2 onion diced
2/3 lb grated cheese

- drain and shred chicken, then mix with half enchilada seasoning
- cook onion in pot with some cooking spray until softened then stir in canned ingredients, half the cheese and remaining enchilada seasoning.
- warm contents of pot until cheese melts and sauce is uniform
- pour 1/4 of sauce in bottom of 9x13 pan, and spread around (this is so enchiladas don’t burn on bottom or stick.
- assemble 7-8 enchiladas using large flour tortillas. Each will have shredded chicken and cheese in.
- if you have any chicken or cheese left, mix it into sauce
- spread remaining sauce over enchiladas and bake 45 min at 350.

ALLOW TO COOL SOME before serving, or you will need a skin graft in your mouth.

image.jpg

Can I assume this is green enchilada sauce for the chicken?
Nope, these are totally a crime against all things authentic.

I do make a green enchilada chicken spaghetti squash that is epic. I’ll post that recipe at some point too.

A thick cut bone in pork chop with broccoli and a rue with onions, garlic, mushrooms and cheese...
Delisch.....

Teddy

IMG_0390.jpg

Meatball Shakshuka

Tried this for the first time tonight, and it was good. Tastes like Goulash's Middle Eastern cousin. I topped mine with goat cheese instead of feta, and served with greek bread for sauce mopping.

IMG_20210203_172828695.jpg

IMG_20210203_174840305.jpg

Latest posts

Back