The Titan

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
When I first saw the clustered motor mount kits offered by FlisKits, my eyes immediately fell upon the single 24mm surrounded by 4 13mm motor mount. That thing is so cool! I had to get one… and when the opportunity came, I ordered one. I also got a pack of BT-70’s, a nosecone, and a tube coupler. I knew that the rocket I am going to build with this is going to be cool. I knew exactly what I wanted to do with this… So I loaded up RockSim 7, and entered my ideas into the program. Once done, I printed out the patterns. Then I went over to my friend Jake Kirk’s house to build my rocket. Of course construction started with the motor mount….

Titan_AE_Motor_Tube.JPG

After the motor mount was finished, and installed, I went to town on the rest of the bird. I plan to paint this rocket light tan, with brown details. I plan to launch the Titan with a C11-5 and 4 A10-PT’s on her maiden voyage, and a E9-6 and 4 A10-PT’s at the next CMASS launch.

Doug_With_Titan_AE.JPG

Way cool Doug! Looks like a DOM entry, if you had to ask me... ;)

Jason

very, very cool... can't wait to see that beast fly!

Also, you would be the first with a published build from one of our motor mounts (doubly cool :) )

Question, we've not received any feedback on our engine mount kits. What are your thoughts on the assembly, quality, instructions? We have reviews on many of our kits, feedback too, but the sub-assemblies and parts don't get much of a mention and we're looking for feedback.

thanx,
jim

IMO, I don't like the paper that the rings are made out of... they fall apart way to easily... but they are better than the cheap junk that Estes has been giving out...

The black paper is especially a problem where the rings get thin.... my 2 18mm rocket, which I was also building, one of the rings fell apart. I ended up having to cut it into two sections....

Interesting, because we've had nothing but good feedback about the rings and the material they're made of...

Jim- Are those laser cut rings? I think I am using the same ones but have never had a problem with them.

n3tjm- Are you friction fitting your motors? And is that white glue I see or is it something else?

JR

Originally posted by flying_silverad
Jim- Are those laser cut rings? I think I am using the same ones but have never had a problem with them.

n3tjm- Are you friction fitting your motors? And is that white glue I see or is it something else?

JR

Yep, black fiber core, i think about .050" thick, laser cut. good stuff other than the black muck you have to clean from your hands... :)

Nice looking rocket n3!

What's the smallest motor configuration it can, or you plan on flying it on?

any of the name inspiration come from Nissan's full-size truck? ;)

Nope. Inspiration came from the Movie Titan AE.... I liked that movie... plus this beast flies on a cluster of A's, and a central E :D. I thought about calling it the Titan AE... but I now feel that TITAN by itself is man enough :D

Smallest motor combo is 4x A10-PT and C11-3(5). I plan to test it on that combo in a few weeks on ballard pond....

At the next CMASS launch, 4x A10-PT's and E9-6 Baby!

Clusters are a good thing -- and nice design. I'm sure it will leap off the launch pad!

Last Night I finally finished the Titan. She is ready to rock-and-roll! First flight will be with a D12-5 and four A10-PT's, and the second flight will be with a E9-6 and four A10-PT's.

The Finished Titan

Back