The Tao

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike

Reaction score
Have any you guys built and flown the Tao mutli-stage rocket? The plans are on JimZ here and I'm think of making one. It appears that the top stage is 'spin-stabilized' and has no fins!!!! Does this really work? Reliable?

From what I gather the fins on the booster make the rocket spin very fast, then when the sustainer lights the spinning motion keeps it stable and flying straight.

Any input would be great...thanks.

That looks sweet! Haven't built one, or even heard of it, but it may be something to build.

Dunno if you've stumbled over this already, Mike, but theres an EMRR review of the Tao here.

Now that is a fascinating design. I do believe I'll have to try one as well. The EMRR review does prove very useful as well.

Regards,
Todd

I just finished building one of these a few weeks ago. Construction was interesting to say the least. There are a couple of things I would do different the next time I build one. I haven't had a chance to launch/test it yet as the winds have not cooperated at our last two launches.

One item I would modify, I believe, is the size of the "hatch" in the booster unit (where the chute is stored). As the design calls out, the lower tube is cut to where two of the fins can have fillets on one side only as they attach at the edge of the cut section. Making the hatch a little narrower would allow fillets on both sides.

Cajunman, please let me know how your flight goes when you get the chance to fly it, I'd be really interested to hear how you do.

Thanks the link Dan...i'd forgotten to look at EMRR!

Back